Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay seller tries to save on shipping = bad.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derriz

Aug 7, 2008
So I bought this card a few days ago and it arrives pretty darn fast. I'm happy at this point until I open the yellow envelope (not a bubble-mailer...). The casing was destroyed and the card has some surface damage.

I'm fine paying $2.99 for shipping. I'm not ok when it has $ .85 postage on it and I've got a worthless piece a junk I have to pay to send back now. Hope it was worth saving a buck. Why try sending such a hard/thick case through the mail like this? Do it right and save everyone the trouble.

damaged.jpg

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I get pissed when they charge that and you can see that they didn't pay it. I'm fine if I pay $2 and they paid $1.50 or so. But when they charge more and pay less, that really grinds my gears! If as a seller you want to make a little more, add the price to the card, not the shipping. If you do charge that for the shipping, send a better package use those funds for what they are intended.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Dont even waste your breath, there are people on here who feel entitled to every dime (they more than likely wont show their faces in here). They will claim they cant print a label and hand it to a postman which gets them a discount, they drive a car which gets 0.3 miles per gallon so the drive to the PO costs several dollars, and they need to pick up a sandwich on the way to buy a stamp with your $4.00 shipping.

I get pissed when they charge that and you can see that they didn't pay it. I'm fine if I pay $2 and they paid $1.50 or so. But when they charge more and pay less, that really grinds my gears! If as a seller you want to make a little more, add the price to the card, not the shipping. If you do charge that for the shipping, send a better package use those funds for what they are intended.

Last edited:

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
I hear ya and I hope you are able to get a full refund, but my first thought was WOW. That looks so much better out of the case with those horrible white and blue stickers taking away from the beauty of the card. I hate THOSE stickers.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I had an Ariel Pena Orange Refractor arrive yesterday that looked like it had been hit with a hammer. The toploader was cracked and there's a pretty big crease on the back of the card. Seller mailed it in a padded envelope, so sometimes it doesn't matter. I'm not sure what happened in transit, but somewhere along the way it got pretty jacked up. I'm not going to send it back, not worth getting my $1.85 refund, but it just goes to show, sometimes these things happen even when sellers ship the 'correct' way.

Derriz

Aug 7, 2008
I completely agree. Sometimes no matter how well something is package things can happen. I wasn't trying to be a complete hater on the seller for what happened. Just miffed at the way it was sent.

Either way the seller and I have gotten together and it'll be going back to him for a refund. No harm done. Just sad to see a /25 basically ruined.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Dont even waste your breath, there are people on here who feel entitled to every dime (they more than likely wont show their faces in here). They will claim they cant print a label and hand it to a postman which gets them a discount, they drive a car which gets 0.3 miles per gallon so the drive to the PO costs several dollars, and they need to pick up a sandwich on the way to buy a stamp with your $4.00 shipping.
It's called Shipping and Handling. ;)

A_Pharis

If a seller sends you a message justifying the S&H costs by saying "Hey, I have to pay for gas... blah blah" - forward it to eBay and call a CS rep. I believe the TOS for eBay states that S&H cannot be used to cover those costs.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
It's called Shipping and Handling. ;)

Which according to ebay is against the TOS , so in another words go work for usps if you want to get paid for shipping.

What you're not allowed to charge

Related fees: Things like gas, mileage, time spent at a carrier, employee wages, or eBay and PayPal fees shouldn't be added.

Last edited:

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Really?
Ebay says its ok

What you can charge
Actual shipping cost: This is the amount for shipping the item. It should be what you paid the carrier.

Handling cost: This can include the cost of packaging materials and insurance cost, if any.

Also, keep in mind that sellers aren't allowed to charge a separate fee for things like insurance, mileage, time spent at a shipping carrier, employee wages, or eBay and PayPal fees. See the shipping and handling costs section of our selling practices policy for more information.

Last edited:

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Its fun to see only what you want to see isnt it? Re-read that. Basically if a bubble mailer and shipping costs you 2.00 you charge 2.00. No where does it say to tack on extras just because.

You see what I quoted above thats directly below what you quoted and left out.

Really?
Ebay says its ok

What you're not allowed to charge

Related fees: Things like gas, mileage, time spent at a carrier, employee wages, or eBay and PayPal fees shouldn't be added.

Last edited:

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Really?
Ebay says its ok

What you can chargeActual shipping cost: This is the amount for shipping the item. It should be what you paid the carrier.

Handling cost: This can include the cost of packaging materials and insurance cost, if any.

I found it after.

I never said tacking on extras is AOK, only that you are allowed to charge for handling.

A_Pharis

Really?
Ebay says its ok

What you can chargeActual shipping cost: This is the amount for shipping the item. It should be what you paid the carrier.

So, are you arguing or agreeing? I ask, because.. well... read the piece you posted. It covers cost of materials and insurance cost... no one is disputing that.

A_Pharis

I found it after.

I never said tacking on extras is AOK, only that you are allowed to charge for handling.

The way you emphasized "handling" really looked like you were implying that "handling" covered everything from your hand to the P.O., when - it doesn't. "Handling" may be the wrong word to use, but it's been used as the default term for so long. eBay defines "handling" as the cost of shipping material and insurance.
Now, someone could come in and dig to say that "cost of material" includes the cost it takes to buy the material.. the cost of gas to drive and buy the material.. etc, but - if you have to dig that hard - then you know why you're digging. It's because you know you're trying to skirt what's right.

S&H is not for making an extra buck.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
How I posted does seem I think the extras are ok. They are not.

I thought it was all in dispute.
I never send in anything but a bubble mailer, and those are expensive. So are top loaders or one touch cases and a pack of team bags.

I dont like how I can include insurance in handling. Thats a shipping charge IMO.

Maybe I can charge my own insurance.

Is there anything against self-insurance? If I sell 20 items and charge $2 insurance per item, thats $40 for when **** hits the fan.

A_Pharis

How I posted does seem I think the extras are ok. They are not.

I thought it was all in dispute.
I never send in anything but a bubble mailer, and those are expensive. So are top loaders or one touch cases and a pack of team bags.

I dont like how I can include insurance in handling. Thats a shipping charge IMO.

Maybe I can charge my own insurance.

Is there anything against self-insurance? If I sell 20 items and charge $2 insurance per item, thats $40 for when **** hits the fan.

Can you still charge insurance on eBay? If so, I don't see why you can't charge for it (it used to be a separate charge).

Latest posts