Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Now that the draft is over. How about some trade rumors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Found this one pretty interesting

The landslide of rumors that happened after I heard from a source that the Cubs and Dbacks were discussing a trade that involved Justin Upton were in fact true. I confirmed the talk with two other sources late last night that the Cubs and Dbacks have had early talks about Justin Upton but the Diamondbacks are not looking at pitching as the main piece in return. The other source said another team is likely involved but it was not confirmed. It is still unknown what players would be involved but I can confirm that talks between Cubs management and Dbacks management did take place in the past week about Justin Upton.
Other tidbits that fueled the Upton trade talk is the fact the owner of the Dbacks Ken Kendrick said a mouthful found here and Upton has not played since June 4th.
I am guessing that trade targets for the Dbacks are likely Matt Garza (even if they deny they need pitching), Brett Jackson, Junior Lake, Josh Vitters, Darwin Barney, Javier Baez, and/or maybe Starlin Castro (not gonna happen).

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
I can't see the Diamondbacks giving up Justin Upton without getting Starlin Castro in a package in return.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
In reference to the OP, the Dbacks ~wonderful part owner~ Ken Kendrick called out Drew and Upton on a local radio show.

He basically implied that Drew is faking/milking his injury and that Upton isnt as mature as he should be and keeps screwing up mentally.

I am thinking at this point, if they could get a 3-5 player return for Upton and a prospect that includes a SP and two top prospects along with some bullpen relief, a deal will be made.

Last edited:

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I would think that there would be a sizable list of teams that would call with interest in Upton.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
In reference to the OP, the Dbacks ~wonderful part owner~ Ken Kendrick called out Drew and Upton on a local radio show.

He basically implied that Drew is faking/milking his injury and that Upton isnt as mature as he should be and keeps screwing up mentally.

I am thinking at this point, if they could get a 3-5 player return for Upton and a prospect that includes a SP and two top prospects along with some bullpen relief, a deal will be made.

I could see the Cubs making an offer of Garza, Vitters, Lake, and possibly Szczur or BJax for Upton and a pitching prospect

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I see this scenario was likely

Garza, Jackson, Baez, McNutt for Upton

I dont think they will deal Castro at all to be honest.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012

I dont think they will deal Castro at all to be honest.

I doubt (or should I say hope) Baez would not be in the deal but you never know

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
All these rumors of trading Garza and Castro drive me nuts. These are the two guys the Cubs should be trying to build their team around in my opinion. Garza has been really good for Chicago, even if the W-L record doesn't indicate it. Castro is the face of the franchise. How many other 22 year olds and younger can make that claim? Bryce Harper, maybe?

Last edited:

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The Dbacks wont let Upton go cheap, that's for sure. Kevin Towers is a smart GM who will get a good haul back.

That scenario I presented helps the dbacks in ways they need. A very underrated SP, major league ready OF in Jackson, a great IF prospect in Baez and McNutt who would more than likely end up in the pen for them.

I doubt that specific deal happens but that is something I envision

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
All these rumors of trading Garza and Castro drive me nuts. These are the two guys the Cubs should be trying to build their team around in my opinion. Garza has been really good for Chicago, even if the W-L record doesn't indicate it. Castro is the face of the franchise. How many other 22 year olds can make that claim? Bryce Harper, maybe?

Are you saying that, like many say of Albert Pujols, Bryce Harper is actually OLDER than his stated age??? :eek:

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
If the Cubs include Castro in this deal then Arizona would have to include Bauer or Skaggs

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I would have to think the Cubs would be sellers at this point. Garza yes, Castro probably not. There's no emotional investment in Garza it seems; and he's not some untouchable pitcher that the Cubs have built around for years. If it were my team, and I could get a raw power-bat, a stud minor league pticher and an developing minor league pitcher, why wouldn't you take it?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I would have to think the Cubs would be sellers at this point. Garza yes, Castro probably not. There's no emotional investment in Garza it seems; and he's not some untouchable pitcher that the Cubs have built around for years. If it were my team, and I could get a raw power-bat, a stud minor league pticher and an developing minor league pitcher, why wouldn't you take it?

Agreed. Garza is a good pitcher with very good stuff, but he isn't great, and I don't think he ever will be.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL

Cubs ownership has proven to be stupid for a while... even more so now that the Ricketts took over. But this would be beyond even their level of stupid. That would be WAYYYYY too much for Upton. Garza and ONE of those other 3 at the most. No way in freakin' <insert word of choice> would all 4 of them be traded for Upton.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Cubs ownership has proven to be stupid for a while... even more so now that the Ricketts took over. But this would be beyond even their level of stupid. That would be WAYYYYY too much for Upton. Garza and ONE of those other 3 at the most. No way in freakin' <insert word of choice> would all 4 of them be traded for Upton.

Out of those 4 the only one I would think that wouldn't go would be Baez. Jackson hasnt made me a believer and Mcnutt IMO will end up being a relief pitcher when it's said and done

Members online

Latest posts