Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No Home Run Derby for Harper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
That's too bad. Everyone wants to see Harper so Kemp should include him. I understand that Kemp may want to give someone else who deserves it a shot but the hr derby is all about excitement and Bryce Harper is exciting.

Simple8

May 21, 2012
Atlanta
This is where i differ. I believe it should be done on performance (all star game). Like it was in little league.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
The ASG as a whole irritates me. I hate that the fans get to choose who goes and starts. How is Buster Posey beating Yadier Molina in voting. Is it because The Giants have had more home games recently, probably and that's the problem its not about the best anymore its about fanfavorites. If the ASG is going to determine home field advantage for the WS then put the best out there not fan favorites. As far as the HRD we need some great power hitters the last good HRD was 2008. Now we get guys like Brandon Inge and Ricky Weeks not harper's and Hamilton's

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
HR Derby is like the Dunk Contest-----The players we all wish to see wont do it. Perception is it messes with your swing etc; see Albert HR totals pre and post HRD.

tommyd2107

Oct 29, 2009
The ASG as a whole irritates me. I hate that the fans get to choose who goes and starts. How is Buster Posey beating Yadier Molina in voting. Is it because The Giants have had more home games recently, probably and that's the problem its not about the best anymore its about fanfavorites. If the ASG is going to determine home field advantage for the WS then put the best out there not fan favorites. As far as the HRD we need some great power hitters the last good HRD was 2008. Now we get guys like Brandon Inge and Ricky Weeks not harper's and Hamilton's

Chooch should be leading both!!

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
I wish they didnt screw with the format of the HRD every year. It seems like each year we have different ways for the team being chosen. Anyone remember the "represent the nations" HR Derby a couple years ago?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think it should be the top HR performers.

I agree. Harper is probably the most exciting player to watch this year but it really should be the guys that are dropping bombs left and right in the game. And I don't mind if the are All-Stars or not. Bautista, Stanton, Dunn, Bruce, etc.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I still don't see how it can jack with your swing that much. At least not any more than jacking some in batting practice. I mean, they are all meatballs, slowly pitched, and you are taking your time. How does that mess up your swing?

Frow

I think the bigger story here is Matt Kemp has picked himself as being a representative. A guy who hasn't played since May 30 and two days before that hadn't played till May 13th. Maybe if you can't even help out the team you maybe don't go out there and try for individual accolades?

Members online

Latest posts