Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for those that regularly go to the National

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Im considering making the 3.5 hour drive down this August for 2 days. But im wondering whether or not it will be worth it. What i mean is this (my question):Will I find cards that i wouldnt normally find on the internet sites? I mean, how many dealers setup at the national that arent selling on ebay or COMC or beckett? I would be looking for a few particular set cards, as well as some nice, good priced griffey autos (the latter of which there is likely to be plenty), but dont see a point in going down if there isnt little to no chance i seeing cads i wouldnt normally see (meaning, of those im looking for).

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Im considering making the 3.5 hour drive down this August for 2 days. But im wondering whether or not it will be worth it. What i mean is this (my question):Will I find cards that i wouldnt normally find on the internet sites? I mean, how many dealers setup at the national that arent selling on ebay or COMC or beckett? I would be looking for a few particular set cards, as well as some nice, good priced griffey autos (the latter of which there is likely to be plenty), but dont see a point in going down if there isnt little to no chance i seeing cads i wouldnt normally see (meaning, of those im looking for).

I think a lot of the dealers at the National are old school and dont do ebay/comc/etc

I would say make the 3.5 drive just for the experience of attending one....also you get to spend time with other board members and see them go goofy hunt down their wants. And that alone is worth the price of addmission. :lol:

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Im sure you could find most of the cards online. But as Rich said the experience is worth it. Youre going to see some amazing high grade vintage cards and memorabilia. Its fun meeting all the guys from the card companies. Even if you dont spend a dime on cards i would say the 3.5 hour drive is worth it.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
With all those dealers... I bet you could find the Ripken and Ryan you need.
I think that made my decision! Now, to get 1500+ cash out of the house without the wife noticing...

Seriously though, seems like a fun trip to something ive never been at. I guess as others have said the experience is probably worth the 20 bucks admission and 3.5 hour drive. Might have to spend the night, as i hear i likely wont get through it all in a day!

Thanks for the replies.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I'll be there for the first time this year on Friday. Hope to see what it's like...very excited! :)

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
The National is literally like a museum. It's unlike any other card show you've attended. I suggest a minimum 2 day attendance as there is so much to see and do. And all of the Major card co.'s have special promo set giveaways.

And if you buy your tickets in advance you'll save a couple extra bucks.

National Website

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Just to follow up, if your going to stay overnight I suggest getting something a bit further away from the Convention Center. All of those hotels near the Center are a bit pricey to say the least. And you'll have to figure in cost for parking as there are only parking garages in the entire area near the venue.

Here's a link to some garages w/prices: Parking Info

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
coming from CT its also a 3.5 hr drive for me and I'll make it every time! I spent around $400 the last time it was in Balt. and came away with well over $3500 in sales from what was purchased there. If your looking for vintage its a must to go, for prospects you can get some deals but nothing too earth-shattering.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
I think you guys have all talked me into going! I appreciate all the tips and comments!

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
Yes, thank you! Just bought my two tickets, booked my hotel 15 mins outside Baltimore for half the price, and got my parking for two days for 14 bucks total. Can't wait to go!

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
You'll have a great time. I guarantee it. At some point, go down and check out the inner harbor while your there.

Enjoy!

Members online

Latest posts