Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could Jeter be the first unanimous HOF inductee?

Will Jeter be a unanimous Hall of Fame inductee?

• Yes

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • No, but will be highest % ever

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • No, but will be 1st ballot

Votes: 79 84.0%
  • No, won't make it on first ballot

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
We have lots of HOF discussions here and the other night I was talking about Seaver and how close he came. In all the years of elections, no one has ever been unanimous and it seems mostly because of certain principles writers (claim to) have.

So my question to you is is Jeter that guy? My logic is we're talking about a player everyone respects, he's got the number and marquee position (regardless of opinion on defensive value), no question of PEDs in the PED era, etc. I just think he may be the perfect storm.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
No

Nolan Ryan wasn't.
Freaking Nolan Ryan. 7 no hitter Nolan Ryan was not a unanimous selection.
300+ Wins, 5700+ K's, a guy who gave up less Career HR than Wins, was not a unanimous selection.

It won't happen.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
I would say yes. If he cannot be a unanimous choice, then I'm not sure anyone will ever.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
There will be at least one person to vote no.
I agree with the poster above, if Nolan Ryan wasn't, no one will.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
I guarantee there is 1 writer in the 573 that casts 1 or 0 votes every year.

Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous, and was actually beaten by Ty Cobb in total votes.

It won't happen.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Nolan Ryan is hardly the litmus test for anything.

Not sure where he'd rank as far as potential unanimous choices...but not in the top 20 or 30 I would imagine.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Only a "perfect" ball player, if one were to ever exist, should receive all votes.

I did alot of baseball research in university. This was my absolute favorite quote about a baseball player.
Funny how something written about the game 145 years ago still pertains today.

The Model Base Ball Player- Henry Chadwick. Ball Players' Chronicle, October 31, 1867.
HIS PLAYING QUALIFICATIONS
The physical qualifications of our model player are as follows:
To be able to throw a ball with accuracy of aim a dozen or a hundred yards.
To be fearless in facing and stopping a swiftly batted or thrown ball.
To be able to catch a ball either on the "fly" or bound, either within an inch or two of the ground, or eight to ten feet from it, with either the right or left hand, or both.
To be able to hit a swiftly pitched ball or a bothering slow one, with equal skill, and also to command his bat so as to hit the ball either within six inches of the ground, or as high as his shoulder, and either towards the right, centre or left fields, as occasion may require.
To be able to occupy any position on the field creditably, but to excel in one position only. To be familiar, practically and theoretically, with every rule of the game and "point" of play.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
If guys like Ripken were not unanimous then Jeter wont be. Ripken was a class act on and off the field. One of the best ever at his position and was involved in many things in his community.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Jeter could always woo each voter by sending these out prior to the vote:
derek-jeter-one-night-stand-gift-basket.png

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I think Seaver had the highest % of votes. Jeter should have a very high % no one is ever gonna be 100% because of jealous nothing better to do loser voters. guys who couldnt play the game of this level vote on it. sigh

Members online

Latest posts