Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I know this sounds incredibly petty, but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Have you ever declined an offer based on the eBay username of the offeror? Or refrained from buying an item due to the username? Obviously, I don't mean in cases where the offer/price is really good. More like in close scenarios, where the name just kinda...makes you decline.

I've not done this yet, but it has entered into my thought process a few times. For some reason, when i see user names with "420", "pimping", "mojo", something with alternating capital letters, etc, I'm somewhat disinclined to accept a toss-up offer. This isn't a sports loyalty thing--I have no issue dealing with folks with Steelers/Volunteers/etc names.

Am I the only one that thinks about this?

Frow

Don't usually look at things like that. My Ebay username is named after my wife's cat that she hasn't owned in 5 years, but she doesn't want to change it since it marks that there was a name change in the last 30 days.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If offer is similar and one buyer is "wordlifecena" & the other is "AUSTINAUSTINAUSTIN", ill go with the later ;)

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I tend to wince at offers made by anyone with a variant of RedSox or related name, but don't let it swing my vote. May spit in the package though.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I tend to wince at offers made by anyone with a variant of RedSox or related name, but don't let it swing my vote. May spit in the package though.

:lol:

I can see the OP's point, but I do think it's silly. Unless the username is something like "youzgonnagetscammed" or something like that...

I can see it with trading. When you are relying on your trading partner to spell your address correctly, but he can't spell... then I worry. And I guess buying would fall into that same boat...

"Cards for sail! Don't loose you're chance! Their going fast!!!"

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Have you ever declined an offer based on the eBay username of the offeror? Or refrained from buying an item due to the username? Obviously, I don't mean in cases where the offer/price is really good. More like in close scenarios, where the name just kinda...makes you decline.

I've not done this yet, but it has entered into my thought process a few times. For some reason, when i see user names with "420", "pimping", "mojo", something with alternating capital letters, etc, I'm somewhat disinclined to accept a toss-up offer. This isn't a sports loyalty thing--I have no issue dealing with folks with Steelers/Volunteers/etc names.

Am I the only one that thinks about this?

I'm with the others, I wince at the name but a buyer is a buyer based on quantity and price and nothing else.

Expect a notice of a discrimination lawsuit to hit your front steps shortly.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I'm with the others, I wince at the name but a buyer is a buyer based on quantity and price and nothing else.

Expect a notice of a discrimination lawsuit to hit your front steps shortly.

Discriminating against folks that self-identify as pimpin their 420 mojo? I'll litigate the bejeebus out of that.

Perhaps not surprisingly, all of the eBay names that make me wince tend to show up in my list of auto-declined (ie, lowball) offers.

Additionally...kids these days, get off of my lawn, and back in my day and so on.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Discriminating against folks that self-identify as pimpin their 420 mojo? I'll litigate the bejeebus out of that.

Perhaps not surprisingly, all of the eBay names that make me wince tend to show up in my list of auto-declined (ie, lowball) offers.

Additionally...kids these days, get off of my lawn, and back in my day and so on.

I know, I was teasing :)

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011

Oh I know. I will say, I think in your shoes, I'd be agnostic as to eBay names. You appear to be a pretty high volume seller, so that makes sense. Have a price in mind, get it, move on. I sell roughly 10-15 items per month and tend to labor over BO (best offer, not deodorant) decisions a lot more, and am also a neurotic law student. Hence, my mind goes weird places when it comes to making decisions.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
As a seller, to me a sale is a sale, no matter who the buyer is. That said, as a buyer, for some reason, I ALWAYS stay away from sellers with any reference to the Florida Gators or Dallas Cowboys in their usernames. Maybe it is because I am a Florida State alumnus and a die-hard Washington Redskins fan? Now, as a Cubs fan, I will do business with Cardinal fans due to mutual respect. But you just can't trust a Gator or a Cowboy. Ever. :) I wonder how many Gator fans avoid bidding on my stuff? My E-Bay username is the same as mine on here. Granted, Fresno State University haters might avoid me, too.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I tend to be influenced on buying or not buying a card based on the player's name. Billy Butler, Matt LaPorta, Archie Bradley, and Stephen Strasburg, they all sound like real ballplayer names to me (alliteration especially sucks me in, like Mickey Mantle). Gerrit Cole, Xavier Bogaerts, and Byron Buxton all sound like boy-band members. And if Bryce Harper was named Mortimer Snerd, no one would buy him.

Members online

Latest posts