Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What I hate most about baseball...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Why the hell doesn't the second baseman/shortstop have to be on the base when turning a double play?

Nothing worse than seeing the runner called out at second when the shortstop is a foot and a half off the base when he receives the throw.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I can't stand that either. I thought I heard/read somewhere that they count it as "beating the play" or some crap like that instead of doing what they are supposed to do.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
There's a difference between an umpire missing a call and an umpire blatantly not making a call.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
I have to agree, I also hate when a runner is called out on a tag play simply because the ball beat him to the bag. To me, it takes the art of sliding completely out of the game, and I love to see a runner make a great slide to avoid a tag.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Jeter taking a routine grounder and doing his signature leap play to make the out at first base. balls and strikes are determined by an ump instead of robotically called for accuracy.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I think it's Ty Cobb's fault.

As long as trying to disrupt the double play by taking out the 2B/SS is part of the game, they won't be sticklers about having to step on the bag.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Lots of things are part of the game that aren't actually part of the rules. Phantom double-play tags have been part of the game for a century or more. They know that there would be many injuries if the fielders stayed on the bag waiting to get the ball. Every once in a while an umpire will call someone safe, but it's how the game is played.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
What bothers me more than that:

1) Pitchers who shake off the catcher multiple times, step off the rubber, take their hat off, wipe their brow, put the hat back on, walk around the rubber for a few seconds while rubbing the ball with their hands, step on the rubber again, then shake off the catcher again, step off the rubber, take a deep breath, back on rubber, then finally toss the ball.

2) Batters who take obscene amounts of swings in between pitches or who constantly adjust their batting gloves

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
What I hate most about baseball... The DH, sorry AL fans, I am a baseball purist...

I never understood that. To me, watching a pitcher try to hit is as exciting as watching an offensive lineman try to kick field goals. Watching a pitcher kill a rally ruins the whole game for me, I'd rather just not watch.

How much of a baseball purist are you, anyway? I always wonder about this. Are you pissed that they started wearing gloves? Or, were all the improvements made to the game OK up until a certain year? At which point they should have left it alone and stopped improving it?

I used to like the way each league had their own rules. I enjoyed watching the AL games, and thought it was neat that boring people could have their little version of baseball. Now I realize, I am forced to watch at least a few of these games a year, sometimes a dozen. There came a point where I saw the 8th batter pitched around and the pitcher strike out to end the inning one too many times. That's not baseball, that's XXXXX XXXX. That's the only way I can say it.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
How much of a baseball purist are you, anyway? I always wonder about this. Are you pissed that they started wearing gloves? Or, were all the improvements made to the game OK up until a certain year? At which point they should have left it alone and stopped improving it?

He wants to go back to beaning the baserunner with the ball to make an out

Members online

Latest posts