Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Not A Sports Thread..But A Very Good Read..EBay Related!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
"Score one for the dealership, then--as even eBay itself notes, bids for vehicles are non-binding, unlike other types of eBay auctions. A bid on a car essentially amounts to a buyer's statement of interest in purchasing a vehicle, rather than a legal commitment to do so. Why? As eBay puts it in its help pages, "Due to state laws and the complexities of real estate and vehicle transactions, bids in those categories are non-binding."

...I think that pretty much sums up the article

agentjak

Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
"Score one for the dealership, then--as even eBay itself notes, bids for vehicles are non-binding, unlike other types of eBay auctions. A bid on a car essentially amounts to a buyer's statement of interest in purchasing a vehicle, rather than a legal commitment to do so. Why? As eBay puts it in its help pages, "Due to state laws and the complexities of real estate and vehicle transactions, bids in those categories are non-binding."

...I think that pretty much sums up the article

........................if you say so...

In response to the close of the auction, the dealership sent an email to McKee, stating in part, "Congratulations on the purchase of your 2009 Chevrolet Corvette!"

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'd also like to add after reading the whole article, the dealership certainly comes off as the bad guy here for not honoring the auction and then blaming the buyer for trying to take advantage of them (boo freakin hoo) but this is not a cut and dry situation and I can see the buyer and dealer's reasoning for their arguements about the car.

I would say that the blame does lie with the dealership for not running the auction correctly with the reserve price set, but per eBay's guidelines the seller is really under no obligation to sell the car to the buyer as noted above. Sure, the arguement can be made that with the email the dealer sent congratulating the buyer on his purchase could qualify as their consent of acceptance, but people who use things like turbo lister have those emails automatically generated and all the dealership has to argue was that an actual person did not consent to the sale but rather a computer automatically generated an email after auctions close.

If it was my decision, the buyer would get the car because of the dealership's inability to run their auction correctly.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts