Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012 Leaf Metal Baseball, scans of the backs of the cards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Would still have liked the backs to have some kind of relevant info on the player on the front. HS stats, round drafted, age, etc.

Also, including the term "piece of history" seems a bit presumptive to me. I always preferred the "We hope you enjoy your autographed card" line on UD cards.

Also, is it an insert? I thought this was an all-auto set?

Still, very nice design, and looking forward to seeing it in hand.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I asked BG about this. He says it's because they're in such a hurry to release this before other companies release their draft products, this sacrifice (no vitals, stats) had to be made.

I just hope he doesn't make this same mistake for future baseball releases, especially Valiant and Ultimate.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I asked BG about this. He says it's because they're in such a hurry to release this before other companies release their draft products, this sacrifice (no vitals, stats) had to be made.

I just hope he doesn't make this same mistake for future baseball releases, especially Valiant and Ultimate.

BG,
If you don't have the staff to handle collecting this data in time, I'm sure there are a few folks here (myself included) that would be willing to put this information together for a nominal fee of a few free cases. My guess is that this has more to do with printing the cards and less to do with collecting the data. Still not a fan of the backs even in light of that. At least differentiate the base cards from the parallels...

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
BG,
If you don't have the staff to handle collecting this data in time, I'm sure there are a few folks here (myself included) that would be willing to put this information together for a nominal fee of a few free cases. My guess is that this has more to do with printing the cards and less to do with collecting the data. Still not a fan of the backs even in light of that. At least differentiate the base cards from the parallels...

A nominal fee of a few cases? You are kidding right....

I am sure there are others that would do it just to say they did it. But to say you would help with this information for a few cases is just crazy talk

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
A nominal fee of a few cases? You are kidding right....

I am sure there are others that would do it just to say they did it. But to say you would help with this information for a few cases is just crazy talk

Sure, maybe BG can find someone that wants to donate their time to a For Profit business, and if so by all means, use that, but my time is valuable as I would hope anyone here would deem their time valuable, thus I would expect a For Profit business to compensate for work performed. The idealistic bull crap is really funny. I don't think for a second that BG would expect someone to do that work for free...that's why companies hire employees. Otherwise I'm looking for volunteers that want to donate 40 hours a week to help me ship packages at work. Any takers?

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Sure, maybe BG can find someone that wants to donate their time to a For Profit business, and if so by all means, use that, but my time is valuable as I would hope anyone here would deem their time valuable, thus I would expect a For Profit business to compensate for work performed. The idealistic bull crap is really funny. I don't think for a second that BG would expect someone to do that work for free...that's why companies hire employees. Otherwise I'm looking for volunteers that want to donate 40 hours a week to help me ship packages at work. Any takers?

I am quite sure the job you work at is not one that others consider their hobby so why would anyone want to show up and donate their time to help you out? Sportscards is many people's passion outside of their job and would gladly volunteer some time just to say that they worked with Brian and Leaf on a card line. Just having the experience of working for a card manufacturer would cause many people to line up and eagerly agree to do some work on a Leaf project. I am quite sure brian would throw someone a bone for the free work but the request for a couple cases is a bit over the top.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I am quite sure the job you work at is not one that others consider their hobby so why would anyone want to show up and donate their time to help you out? Sportscards is many people's passion outside of their job and would gladly volunteer some time just to say that they worked with Brian and Leaf on a card line. Just having the experience of working for a card manufacturer would cause many people to line up and eagerly agree to do some work on a Leaf project. I am quite sure brian would throw someone a bone for the free work but the request for a couple cases is a bit over the top.

If people are that eager to sign up and work just because compiling random facts for a card company is so cool and BG can use that to his advantage, more power to him I guess. That said, as cool as it seems to "give your time" to a card company I imagine most would tire of doing work for free while others make money rather quickly. Because of this, BG could never get consistency in help and thus the reason why PAID staff do this for nearly every card company in the industry today. If it was truly that cool they would all be able to use free labor to do the grunt work because it was just so neat.

When people volunteer their time consistently they are generally doing it for one of two reasons either they are A. really altruistic and supportive of the cause (charity etc.) or B. they believe that experience (unpaid internship or perhaps even experience with a card manufacturer) could benefit them in some way in the future, be it job or otherwise.

Bottom line is, lets say you had 100 cards and by the time you compiled stats, wrote up reviews, revised, revised and revised you had 75 hours into over the course of a month or so. If your time is worth $25 an hour that's $1875 or a couple cases. BG benefits greatly because he doesn't have to put someone on staff ever, not even part time for a while and probably gets an industry expert. The request isn't unreasonable.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
There would still have to be someone to do the fact checking, so it may as well be done by someone there. As far as time, I don't see this taking THAT long.
Name
Round Drafted / Team city, NL-AL
Position
Birthdate / Height / Weight
Guarantee.

Boom, a less generic back.

Barrett_zpsc8c3cc96.jpg

Yadier2004

Aug 27, 2012
Missouri
I like the backs! Its not overly cluttered with crap! Way to go Leaf!

Sent from my MB865 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
His excuse is he was in a hurry? How long would it take to Google and cross-check birthdates, height/weight, college/high school, draft info and a line of stats?
A day? A few days at most?

Seriously. Rushing a product to market at the expense of giving 100% effort is bad business.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'll trust that it was a production timing issue that caused the simple backs. Not just time in accumulation of data, but spot checking, then printing ASAP to get into the hands of the players for on card sigs etc.

They have the needed resources but the key to this product is the first to market approach with the players. And they clearly succeeded.

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
If people are that eager to sign up and work just because compiling random facts for a card company is so cool and BG can use that to his advantage, more power to him I guess. That said, as cool as it seems to "give your time" to a card company I imagine most would tire of doing work for free while others make money rather quickly. Because of this, BG could never get consistency in help and thus the reason why PAID staff do this for nearly every card company in the industry today. If it was truly that cool they would all be able to use free labor to do the grunt work because it was just so neat.

When people volunteer their time consistently they are generally doing it for one of two reasons either they are A. really altruistic and supportive of the cause (charity etc.) or B. they believe that experience (unpaid internship or perhaps even experience with a card manufacturer) could benefit them in some way in the future, be it job or otherwise.

Bottom line is, lets say you had 100 cards and by the time you compiled stats, wrote up reviews, revised, revised and revised you had 75 hours into over the course of a month or so. If your time is worth $25 an hour that's $1875 or a couple cases. BG benefits greatly because he doesn't have to put someone on staff ever, not even part time for a while and probably gets an industry expert. The request isn't unreasonable.

Sound logic rules the day! I can always count on Phil for that.

Members online

Latest posts