Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Songs about ballplayers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have a couple of versions of a song called "Talkin' Baseball". One is a Yankees version and the other is a general MLB version and they both mention star players through the years 1950's to the 1990's.

I also have a Blue Jays cassette from around 1990 that has, among other songs, "The Ballad of Tom Henke".

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
That "Talkin Baseball" has to be the worst song I've ever heard. Each version worse than the last.

I'll second Ron's post about that CD on Amazon. Almost every song I was going to suggest is on there.

The cream of the crop are:
Joltin Joe DiMaggio - Les Brown & His Orchestra
Say Hey (The Willie May's Song) - The Treniers
I Love Mickey - Mickey Mantle & Teresa Brewer
Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball? - Count Basie & His Orchestra

That Count Basie song has to be the absolute best but I'm not entirely sure Count Basie's actually the one who did it... I've seen it credited to Buddy Johnson & His Orchestra which makes more sense to me because Basie didn't sing and the bandleader doesn't generally get credit when there's a vocal track involved. Perhaps it was Buddy Johnson and Count Basie together?

The Joe DiMaggio song was probably the most famous of all of these. Only song I have to add is Jess Cain's "Carl Yastrzemski Song"

I'm a big record collector so this topic is one that I've invested a lot of time in. You'd be amazed by how many there are out there.

I picked one of these up a few years ago...

62907_01_lg.jpg

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
I'll post a photo of my sports-themed vinyl collection when I get home. A few more songs: Google Bob Dylan Theme Time baseball episode. Some good deeeeeep tracks on that mix, all obviously baseball themed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Members online

Latest posts