Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

easiest ways to make money in this hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
Let's help a few newcomers to the game ...

The easiest ways to make money in this hobby:

(#1) Buy large collections, and piece them out.
Some people will give you a deal in bulk,
then you can make maximum profit one at a time.

(#2) Buy a player before they become hot.
AKA. "Prospecting". - you might have a dozen $2.00 cards that become $10 cards.

(#3) Dig. Find a card in a $0.50 box that you know is a $5.00 card.
Do enough research that you can identify rare inserts.

Bonus: The HARDEST ways to make money:
(#!) Open product looking for that 1 monster hit.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Buying raw and grading is a good money maker as well. You have yup have a good eye and know what is in going to fetch good money in a slab.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
The Easiest way to double your Money is............... Fold it in half And put it in your pocket :D

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Prospecting is usually a lot tougher than people like to admit. Easier is to learn what the market is on some fairly steady cards (Jeter auto's, Ruth GU etc.) and bid the bottom end of what they go for. You will only win a small percentage of the items you bid on but assuming the cards are expensive enough that you do not lose any potential profits in fees and shipping and you are a little patient it's a pretty low risk approach.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Dont call it a hobby, if you wanna make money with cards.

this drives me nuts there are plenty of people that collect and also make money off of this hobby. I buy large private collections all the time and make decent money reselling but also collect and have many pc items I would never sell. It is very possible to have cards be your hobby as well as profit from them

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
this drives me nuts there are plenty of people that collect and also make money off of this hobby. I buy large private collections all the time and make decent money reselling but also collect and have many pc items I would never sell. It is very possible to have cards be your hobby as well as profit from them

I agree. I haven't spent a dime out of my pocket this year but added a ton of great items to my PC. I flip cards to fund my collection. At three end of the day it is still a hobby for me.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Think the hobby is too expensive? Have to sell to stay in the hobby? Is the hobby to expensive for new people to join in on the fun?

Truth is making money off the hobby makes the hobby more expensive for collectors, others making money off the hobby makes the hobby more expensive for you. Granted there certainly needs to be some people making money, there doesn't need to be many and it definitely doesn't need to be everyone.

/public service announcement

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
You guys are thinking small here

1. Start a auction company
2. Allow your employees to be able to bid on the auctions
3. Shill like crazy
4. Anytime you get caught shilling a card for crazy money, send it back to PSA/SGC to get it reslabbed with a new serial number.
5. Hire strippers to attract lonely men to consign to you at auctions.
6. It helps if you were at one time jailed for committing phone fraud by stealing money from churches, police and firemen retirement funds.

Members online

Latest posts