Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hall of fame rookie cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
I have been looking online and talking to some guys at net54, I didn't realize how subjective rookie vintage cards are about year and type. You can talk to three different people and get three different answers on what the players rookie card is

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I have been looking online and talking to some guys at net54, I didn't realize how subjective rookie vintage cards are about year and type. You can talk to three different people and get three different answers on what the players rookie card is

In recent years oddball issues are becoming more accepted as a players rookie card. For example in my collection I have a 1949 Satchel Paige card for his rookie. It is a cheaper alternative that was issued the same year as his Leaf card. What was once determined by Beckett is now more subjective than ever.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
It's quite confusing to someone just starting to collect vintage. lol any good advice?

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
It's quite confusing to someone just starting to collect vintage. lol any good advice?

My best advice is to invest in the standard catalog that has listings for all the odd ball vintage issues. Do you research and then purchase the card you like most. There is no right or wrong way. If you ever have any specific questions feel free to pm me. I may have extra copy of the standard catalog of CD. Pm me your address if I can find it I will send it to you.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
There are many hall of famers who have an unquestioned rookie card especially if they are from the 30's to the 90's. Ernie Banks and Henry Aaron are in the 1954 Topps set. Koufax in the '55 set and on and on. When you start getting back before this time frame (or after) the waters get a bit murky.

There are regional sets that may pre-date many of the generally accepted rookie cards (Aaron Johnston Cookies comes to mind) but generally, the nationally distributed sets are accepted as a players rookie card.

Net 54 is an excellent place to find information on pre-WWII cards and mainly cards from the turn of the 20th century and many of us can help you with that era going forward. If you are confused about a rookie designation, throw it out here. Someone will answer.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
There are many hall of famers who have an unquestioned rookie card especially if they are from the 30's to the 90's. Ernie Banks and Henry Aaron are in the 1954 Topps set. Koufax in the '55 set and on and on. When you start getting back before this time frame (or after) the waters get a bit murky.

There are regional sets that may pre-date many of the generally accepted rookie cards (Aaron Johnston Cookies comes to mind) but generally, the nationally distributed sets are accepted as a players rookie card.

Net 54 is an excellent place to find information on pre-WWII cards and mainly cards from the turn of the 20th century and many of us can help you with that era going forward. If you are confused about a rookie designation, throw it out here. Someone will answer.

Another great resource that had a list of the players first cards is old cardboard.

Last edited:

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Collecting vintage is a great hobby.

Arguing classifications and designations is another hobby altogether. A regular visitor to net54 (one of my favorite websites) knows exactly what I mean.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
very good list http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp there are many right answers and different answers.... collect what you can afford and like... some advanced big wallet guys seek/collect the "1 of a kind" earliest known cards like the Hank Aaron, Pete Hill, or Luis Aparicio, rookies in the list (above) etc., while other stick with the common well know MLB cards usually issued a couple years later. it makes it fun because no one can really complete the advanced earliest card known set because many are basically "one of a kind" especially the ***** Leaguers. Also you have to ask yourself what do you considered a card? is a postcard a card? is a large posterlike magazine premium a card? ie GC Alexander rookie M101-2... is a premium with many players pictured or a team picture a rookie? is a Cuban issue a rookie? To me a rookie is the oldest card of the player, minors included (not team photo or composite multiplayer image) I include cards or even many similar flat paper like collectible ie premiums, postcards, matchbooks, stickers, stamps, gamecards, etc. (usually listed in the ACC)...

Members online

Latest posts