Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Edwin Jackson Signs With the Cubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Cubs, free-agent RHP Edwin Jackson agree on four-year, $52M deal, pending physical. First reported by @CSNMooney

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Guys, lets get something on the table. Theo and Jed made two starting pitching trades at the deadline last year, Dempster and Maholm. Both were lucrative and important to the Cubs future. Don't you think that the Cubs are envisioning doing the same again this year? With the signing of Edwin Jackson, their Starting Pitchers look like this:

Jeff S
Matt Garza
Travis Wood
Scott Feldman
Scott Baker
Edwin Jackson
Carlos Villanueva

That is 7 starting caliber pitchers, with many of them on short term deals that will look extremely attractive come deadline time. I think the move is genius, and makes all the send in the world. In my opinion, the Cubs are building the farm system through free agency (think Marlins, but on a smaller scale). Makes all the sense in the world to me.

I think the offseason has been a success, and will pay off come deadline time and for the future of the Cubs.

skrip
progress.gif

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Guys, lets get something on the table. Theo and Jed made two starting pitching trades at the deadline last year, Dempster and Maholm. Both were lucrative and important to the Cubs future. Don't you think that the Cubs are envisioning doing the same again this year? With the signing of Edwin Jackson, their Starting Pitchers look like this:

Jeff S
Matt Garza
Travis Wood
Scott Feldman
Scott Baker
Edwin Jackson
Carlos Villanueva

That is 7 starting caliber pitchers, with many of them on short term deals that will look extremely attractive come deadline time. I think the move is genius, and makes all the send in the world. In my opinion, the Cubs are building the farm system through free agency (think Marlins, but on a smaller scale). Makes all the sense in the world to me.

I think the offseason has been a success, and will pay off come deadline time and for the future of the Cubs.

skrip
progress.gif

Very interesting analysis and theory [MENTION=1961]ballerskrip[/MENTION], one that makes a lot of sense to me. Samardzija and Jackson are likely to be on the squad for at least a few years, but everyone else will be available.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I heard they also signed Cory Wade. I like all these signings that are being made. They have done a great job of not overpaying like most have this offseason. It'll be interesting if they go after Bourn like has been said

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I heard they also signed Cory Wade. I like all these signings that are being made. They have done a great job of not overpaying like most have this offseason. It'll be interesting if they go after Bourn like has been said

I agree, they have kept flexibilty financially and built assets. I am not sure what more you can ask for at this point. It is going to take time, but I can't complain about a single signing thus far.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I agree with building pitching first and I'm glad that they aren't pissing away money on end of the road vets.

Hopefully some of their bats can step it up since I don't see Theo trying to sign anyone in that respect. Although its not like there is a ton of free agent talent left for position players.

The one thing that sucks is that the Cubs great farm system is at Daytona and below, so hopefully guys like Rizzo and Soriano can provide some run support. Really they did well in the pitching dept last season, so if they keep the runs against lower, they have a chance to make progress in 2013.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I love it for the Cubs as they can flip him at the 2014 trade deadline for more prospects to build up the system.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
That's all I got to say about this! Lol jk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1356124288.978200.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1356124288.978200.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 41

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
No other thoughts on this?

Edwin Jackson Really? Which Jackson are you going to get in this up coming season. After being with the Tigers in 2009 and going 12-9 with a ERA of 3.62

He was been with 4 teams since then
2010 Total MLB 10-12 4.47 ERA
AZ 6-10 5.16 ERA
CHW 4-2 3.24

2011 Total MLB 12-9 3.79 ERA
CHW 7-7 3.92 ERA
St. Lou 5-2 3.58 ERA

2012 season
Wash 10-11 4.03 ERA

So this looks like a 5th starter on other teams and not the Cubs. I don't think the Cubs should have gone and signed him. Even if they can move him next season(2014) for a little bit of prospects.
Oh and if he is true to form, this up coming season he should be over 500. But that would mean he needs run support, something the Cubs would need to find this up coming season :lol:

Last edited:

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Edwin Jackson Really? Which Jackson are you going to get in this up coming season. After being with the Tigers in 2009 and going 12-9 with a ERA of 3.62

He was been with 4 teams since then
2010 Total MLB 10-12 4.47 ERA
AZ 6-10 5.16 ERA
CHW 4-2 3.24

2011 Total MLB 12-9 3.79 ERA
CHW 7-7 3.92 ERA
St. Lou 5-2 3.58 ERA

2012 season
Wash 10-11 4.03 ERA

So this looks like a 5th starter on other teams and not the Cubs. I don't think the Cubs should have gone and signed him. Even if they can move him next season(2014) for a little bit of prospects.
Oh and if he is true to form, this up coming season he should be over 500. But that would mean he needs run support, something the Cubs would need to find this up coming season :lol:

Rich, I would have to disagree. A workhorse who throws over 200 innings every year with 4.00 ERA isn't a fifth starter in the MLB anymore. For most teams in the bigs, he would be a #3. Which he will be for the Cubs.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Rich, I would have to disagree. A workhorse who throws over 200 innings every year with 4.00 ERA isn't a fifth starter in the MLB anymore. For most teams in the bigs, he would be a #3. Which he will be for the Cubs.

Matt
True he will be a number 3 for the cubs. They have Travis Woods in that mix :lol:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I'm just Glad Chris Volstad will not be making any starts for the Cubs this year. On a good team, Edwin's a #4; an average team, a #3; a bad team, a #2. He'll be the Cubs #2.

Members online

Latest posts