Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pirate all-time roster autograph project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
It's been a long while since I've shown off any of my new pickups here, but figured this milestone warranted an update. I've been working on getting an autograph pictured in a Pirates uniform of every player to appear in a major league game for the Pirates since 1950. With the addition of a signed 85 Donruss Denny Gonzalez in today's mail, I'm officially at 481/960, putting me over the 50% mark.

Almost all of the "easy" players - guys with certified autos, good signers ttm, etc - are crossed off. I may have to expand my criteria for some of the remaining players, since many of them don't have cards as a Pirate, and some don't seem to have any photos of their time in Pittsburgh. I'm still working on putting together a page for the project, but you can see most of the autos in this old thread. Below are some photos of my more recent additions.

dward.jpgprates2012006.jpg8ho7.jpg54tr6ee4.jpgbjh4e.jpg
56hg32fgt.jpg
jy64ew.jpg

jh53r2rg.jpg
97gj61013.jpg

f4regh53.jpg

7j6g3.jpg
23rgh44hjj.jpg

j7565432.jpg
867uhh4.jpg

alhollandauto.jpg
09pjh.jpg

32fv543w.jpg
prates2012009.jpg

pir010.jpg

Last edited:

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
This isn't from post-1950, but I have a cut auto of Carmen "Bunker" Hill... he was the only 20 game winner for the Pirates in 1927, and faced Murderer's Row in the World Series. He started game 4 and gave up a homer to Babe Ruth...

It might look good if mounted with a picture. It's yours if you'd like to PM me your address.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I should mention I picked 1950 as a fairly arbitrary start date. I have around a dozen pre 1950 signatures, but since the team's history goes back to the 19th century, I figured I'd start with a more manageable goal and then work backwards. Since the team had terrible teams for much of the '50's, 80's, 90's, and 00's, it's makes for an interesting challenge.

Jim, most of the recent guys I'm missing are guys who were only around for a season and relievers who never had cards. Guys like Eric Hacker, Dusty Brown, etc. are going to be a real headache, so I may have to settle for signed cards picturing them with another team. I'll pm you my needs from the 2000's after work.

jimfalbo21

May 22, 2011
Newark, OH
I have a Dusty Brown, got him at Pirate City in the spring of 2011, however it's not for trade...I have several extra's set aside FT, so lmk. Also I will be going to spring training this year, so I can try to get some extra's to trade you.

~Jim

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
A couple recent additions, with big thank you's to waxpax and moonlight for knocking a couple more off my list. The Carmen Hill, who made his Pirate debut in 1915, is now the oldest in my collection.

45g32g53r_zpsfc7711c4.jpgn6529ot_zpsb688aa11.jpg2ewg54wr_zpsb57aa384.jpgbunkerhill_zps565f5db6.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Great project idea and congrats on being over the halfway point. You may find some hard to get or hard to find at a good price, especially players who died young. Duke Maas cost me a pretty penny for my 1961 Yankees team. Have fun with it though....it's a journey.
DANNY

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Danny. I've always liked the fact that it's a project I forget about for month, and then pick back up when other aspects of my collection(s) slow down. There are a handful of toughies in there, but fewer than you'd expect considering how many players the team cycled through in the '50's, 80's, and 90's-present. Once I move into the pre-war years, there are obviously some more pricey HoF'ers to save up for, but still nothing like the prices on Yankees stuff. But it's been fun researching the team's history, and learning about some of the more obscure players.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I like the Pirates, mainly because of their logo, which got my attention when I was young. Never forgave Maz for 1960, but otherwise like the team.
DANNY

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Related to the Pirates anyway but did any of you Pirates buffs see that story within the past couple of weeks about that bible that was discovered signed by I believe the '53 Pirates team?

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Two more from the weekend. I found the Lee for $1 at a show, so I couldn't pass it up. His only cards as a Pirate were released after he retired, so finding an upgrade will be tough unless Lee does any autograph appearances, but even then the fee would probably be more than I'd want to pay. Since I have almost nothing into the card, I may just peel off the sticker and put it on his 2011 Topps Update card.

htr544ee_zps995441ce.jpg3gerg55_zpsd31ca6ff.jpg

Members online

Latest posts