Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cabrera vs. Trout for MVP was discussed a lot, how about the 1934 AL MVP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If you look at historical award voting, there are a lot of these type of situations that really don't make any sense. I was curious about Musial when he passed and found that he could have easily had at least one or two more MVPs himself.

The year you bring up is especially bad...Gehringer who finished 2nd place in 1934 was better than Cochrane in literally every stat they have listed. Gehrig's season was even better than Gehringer's, and he finishes 5th. And what about Jimmie Foxx who puts up .334/44/130 and comes in 10th?? No idea how that happens.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you look at historical award voting, there are a lot of these type of situations that really don't make any sense. I was curious about Musial when he passed and found that he could have easily had at least one or two more MVPs himself.

The year you bring up is especially bad...Gehringer who finished 2nd place in 1934 was better than Cochrane in literally every stat they have listed. Gehrig's season was even better than Gehringer's, and he finishes 5th. And what about Jimmie Foxx who puts up .334/44/130 and comes in 10th?? No idea how that happens.
Back then, the award was given to whom the writers thought was truly most valuable to their team's success.
That's the original intent of the award.
It wasn't just about stats, like it mostly is today.

Jun 30, 2010
Let's add another interesting stat to the discussion, the stat that jumped out at me:

Cochrane Batted 320 with 2 Homers and 76 RBI's in 437 at bats and won MVP

Detroit pitcher Schoolboy Rowe, in addition to being 24-8 as a pitcher and finishing 4th in MVP Voting also batted 303 with 2 homers and 22 RBIs.....So to equate to Cochranes at bats Rowe, THE PITCHER, in the same number of at bats would have had 8 HRs and 88 RBI's. INTERESTING!!!

jeremy2

Jan 7, 2013
i have that card. check out the centering on this mug

jeremy2-albums-misc-picture11880-img-0670.jpg

GF Yankees Fan

Aug 9, 2011
It should also be noted that Cochrane was not only a player for the 1934 Tigers but also a first year manager. He led them to the leagues best record (101-53) and a World Series appearance. This as much as on field player performance led to his MVP award. As for the argument that Gehrig lost out because he had previously won the award in 1927 seemed likely to me at first but in looking back at it Cochrane had actually won the award more recently than Gehrig had. Having previously won the award himself in 1928.

Members online

Latest posts