Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why I no longer collect for value.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Hello All,

First, some background. I started collecting around 1984 and just purchased single packs at the local drug store cashing in pepsi-coke-7up bottles. I bought every pack they had and then had my Grandpa drive me to the next town and bought all of those out as well. When I got my own wheels and an after school job, my money was spent on baseball cards.

I got wrapped up in the 1987-1992 junk wax era and bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff. Purchased case after case of 1989 Upper Deck for the Griffey rookie (sold many as well). About 1998, the hobby wasnt fun anymore to me. So much product out there by the various manufacturer's, hard to keep up with what people wanted. I wasnt collecting as a collector, but as a businessman. If I couldnt get a return, I didnt buy it. I missed out on a lot of collecting time worried about selling for profit. I sold two rental storage sheds full to the brim of product for pennies on the dollar. No shortage of buyers either. I liquidated almost 14 years worth of stuff in 20 minutes.

I havent looked at what I did keep until my 7 yr old came home with a pack of 2012 Topps given to him at a birthday party as a prize. We opened them and we thumbed through them, looking at the front and reading the backs. He asked for more. We went to the local Meijer and they had plenty 2012's left over and new 2013's. We bought some of each.

As I look at them new stuff, I remember how great it was to open packs, but now, I open them with enjoyment and not 'how much can I sell this one for'.

Im back into the hobby but only as a hobby, and my 7 yr old is along for the ride!

Fordman

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I have a response similar to this, Ill try and put into words later, but I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN
Great Post!!

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I've been collecting since 1958. I still read the backs of the cards! I guess I've always been a collector at heart, though I did get caught ups some in the buy and sell frenzy in the late 80's. I now focus on vintage, but put together my Topps set each year, plus buy some boxes of the rookie laden products to try to get cards to have signed at the local ballpark or send through the mail for autographs. I still have fun with collecting.
DANNY

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well you feel the same way I do: if you're worried about selling, it's more of a business than a hobby.

Members online

Latest posts