Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

More "proof" chrome "autograph" cards popping up on ebay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Whoever it was didn't use the right cutters.

The Soler measures roughly 2.70" x 3.67"

To put that into perspective, the white is rectangle is aprox. 2.5" x 3.5".

super_zps30c6070a.jpg

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
So I noticed a lot more of these that showed up tonight, but with one little wrinkle this time around.

2012 Bowman Chrome Test Auto Orange Refractor Williams Jerez Boston Red Sox RC | eBay

So we've seen ones of cards that have been in the set before. But for the new wrinkle

2012 Bowman Chrome Test Auto Orange Refractor Ryan Brett Tampa Bay Rays Proof RC | eBay

Now whats different about that one? He wasn't in the 2012 Bowman Chrome autograph set. Interesting. He's not the only "new" player this guy has "proof" cards of. If I remember correctly, some of these guys were in the original checklist

So I'm sure it's been debated about what these really are and how he got them, but it's very interesting now that he's got guys that were never autos

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Judging by their feedback I'd say it's a definite possibility, but they've also had some HTG 90s inserts from Football lately.

Doesn't make up for living in the Simpsons' rival city though...:cool:

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
If they were indeed on the original checklist, than these probably are proof sheets from the printer. The auto cards are always made first when the autos are on card, so it is not uncommon for guys to get printed that end up not signing for the actual set.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Same seller has now moved on to more backdoored stuff - 1998 Flair Masterpieces.

shelbyville_sports_cards | eBay

Its fairly well-known that the legacy versions were backdoored, I seem to remember some guy from Indiana going to jail (?) for it.

He states he purchased then in the bankruptcy auction.... He has had quite a bit of Fleer / Sports Illustrated stuff, but not sure they were backdoored more as auctioned off.

Ryan

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
Doent someone still have a Fleer auction catalog to see if they 'came up'?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Besides integrity, what stops someone from buying those and figuring out a way to stamp the 1/1 on the back and making even more money off them.

Also, did Phil Hughes tell us back on BMB that Topps did indeed make two copies of the 1/1's - maybe these are the other versions that he is somehow getting from somewhere. Cool that he has some stuff of guys that never even had cards in 2012 Bowman

Has anyone shot Topps a message on Twitter to ask them what they know about these or their thoughts???

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Besides integrity, what stops someone from buying those and figuring out a way to stamp the 1/1 on the back and making even more money off them.

Also, did Phil Hughes tell us back on BMB that Topps did indeed make two copies of the 1/1's - maybe these are the other versions that he is somehow getting from somewhere. Cool that he has some stuff of guys that never even had cards in 2012 Bowman

Has anyone shot Topps a message on Twitter to ask them what they know about these or their thoughts???

They would have to stamp "The Only 1 of 1 Masterpiece" in purple foil, not just 1/1.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

A large number of the backdoored legacy cards were indeed stamped with a number by someone else. Granted they were stamped in the wrong place, but still.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Yes, Topps does, or at least has in the past, printed more than one copy of 1/1's. I assume in case of damage etc.

Members online

Latest posts