Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You know it's coming...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I don't think Topps would ever offer such a product. Too many questions would arise.

Allen

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
That's pretty much what 2006 Bowman Originals was, no?

Not really. Bowman Originals took base cards and added value with certified autographs.

The execution of that product was horrendous. Doing it again, partnering with BGS or PSA would be interesting.

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
Not really. Bowman Originals took base cards and added value with certified autographs.

The execution of that product was horrendous. Doing it again, partnering with BGS or PSA would be interesting.

I see your point.

If they were to ever do it again, having the cards slabbed by BGS/PSA would be a must. Way too many fakes and general sketchiness from the last time.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
First thing I thought of was this:

$(KGrHqZ,!owE9d!5hkpQBPo)lZr4Fw~~60_35.JPG

Ah, good times. Thanks McCroy's!

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Yes, McCrory's was the best. Huge baseball card selection with all the Topps, Score, Donruss, and Fleer packs, rack packs, and blister packs you could hope for plus the Fleer special edition boxed sets of all the best players of the mid-1980s. Hours of fun hoping to find a great card on the top of a rack pack and just trying to decide how to spend one's allowance.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, McCrory's was the best. Huge baseball card selection with all the Topps, Score, Donruss, and Fleer packs, rack packs, and blister packs you could hope for plus the Fleer special edition boxed sets of all the best players of the mid-1980s. Hours of fun hoping to find a great card on the top of a rack pack and just trying to decide how to spend one's allowance.
RACK PACK SEARCHER!

Only joking, of course. That was all part of the game. I remember going to the mall and running for the toy store to see if the rack packs were flat in the box or not. If so, I was looking for rookies!

To the OP, I think the companies have discussed it thoroughly, and there are great reasons not to do it. Hell, they could churn the presses and hand cut every card for this product, or just cherry pick the 10s right before pack out. It is better for the hobby if these products are not "buybacks" but simple "buys."

Of course, if it's a proven money maker, ethics be damned!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Buybacks start becoming a problem when companies inflate the secondary market value of the product they're selling. Say:

Topps produces a player X superfractor, and inserts it into a random pack and is pulled by person Y at a card shop.

Person Y places it on eBay whereupon Topps bids on and wins it for $100. The third place bidder is 50% of the final winning bid.

What is the perceived value of the X superfractor? What happens if Topps does this for 15 of their superfractors? Do supers suddenly get more valuable?

Does Topps say the value of X superfractor is $100 on promotional material?

This stuff gets real ugly... real fast.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
It wouldn't. Topps makes plenty of money with what they put out now. I'd like to think that we could all agree the products could be better. Some way more than others. I think they'll go the direct to consumer route like turkey red more in the future. Which scares me.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
You're not wrong but the market will only stand for so much of these shenanigans before too many people are driven out of the hobby.

Profits fall, The company adjusts course. Balance or a semblance of it returns.

Not saying it wouldn't be painful, but a free market will correct itself eventually.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts