Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WTF happened on this play?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Ok, I've watched the video like 10 times...and here is what I can gather from it...someone correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE!

- Segura is on first with Braun up and steals 2nd.
- Braun walks making Braun on 1st and Segura on 2nd.
- Segura tries to steal 3rd but pitcher picks him off and he gets into rundown. Braun just takes second. Valbuena? tags both Segura and Braun while they are touching 2nd base. Segura takes off for 1st? HOW THE HELL CAN HE DO THAT?
-Umpire says Braun is out. I have no idea why. He was never tagged off a base.
-Segura is somehow back at first base and get thrown out trying to steal 2nd.

I have NEVER seen something like this.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
What I'm most confused by is how Segura can steal 2nd and then a batter later be on 1st.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Segura thought he was out. So he started back towards the dugout. But then he realized he wasn't out, and since he was near 1B, he stopped there, since he would have been tagged out if he had tried to go back to 2B

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Segura thought he was out. So he started back towards the dugout. But then he realized he wasn't out, and since he was near 1B, he stopped there, since he would have been tagged out if he had tried to go back to 2B

This is what happened as the runner who occupied the base (2nd) first would be safe, but he actually should have been out when he was tagged again once he started back to the dugout/first. Overall quality base running.

Ryan

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Ok, I've watched the video like 10 times...and here is what I can gather from it...someone correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE!

- Segura is on first with Braun up and steals 2nd.
- Braun walks making Braun on 1st and Segura on 2nd.
- Segura tries to steal 3rd but pitcher picks him off and he gets into rundown. Braun just takes second. Valbuena? tags both Segura and Braun while they are touching 2nd base. Segura takes off for 1st? HOW THE HELL CAN HE DO THAT?
-Umpire says Braun is out. I have no idea why. He was never tagged off a base.
-Segura is somehow back at first base and get thrown out trying to steal 2nd.

I have NEVER seen something like this.

And as Bill Schroeder said "you will never see that again"

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Logan2500

May 21, 2012
PA
I'm pretty sure Segura should have been out since Braun already advanced before Segura got back to the bag forcing Segura to have to go to third.

hohlernr

Dec 1, 2012
Michigan
So is this a way you can pad your SB number by continually stealing 2nd then 1st and back to 2nd? Kinda like in basketball intentionally missing put backs to pad your rebound total?

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
Same type of play happened back in 1987, but this guy took 2nd base again. Segura should have been called out when he was tagged coming off the bag heading back to the dugout.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
After Segura leaves 2nd and gets caught in a rundown and Braun takes 2nd, Segura goes back to the bag so there are 2 runners on the base at the same time. He is tagged by the thirdbaseman twice, once while he has his hand on the base and once a second later when he takes it off without time being called, as far as I could tell. However, when Braun touched 2nd and Segura returned to the base, I think the ump ruled that Braun had passed the lead runner, and so was out (Rule 7.08 (h)). So it was all very messy, obviously, but I think they both should have been out and in no circumstance could Segura have "stolen first base." I think all umps and players involved will be getting a refresher course in baserunning rules. And Segura special coaching on how to steal third.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
It was the wrong ruling. Segura should have been called out because you can not travel backwards around the base path. Something in the rule book states that. Umpires were just as confused and just let him stay at 1st.

Segura shouldn't have been running in the first place. Dumb play all around.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
2nd base was Segura's base. So calling out Braun was correct. Segura should have been called out when he was tagged leaving 2nd base, but the ump missed it. rule 7.08i allows the return to first because he wasn't trying to confuse the defense.

This rule was most likely made after Jimmy Piersall tried to run the bases in reverse after hitting a home run.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
According to the espn box score it shows Segura getting CS out at 3rd base when it was actually 2nd base. Would like to see how this is officially scored.

WaxPax

The put out on Braun should be a Caught Stealing as he was the trail runner on a double steal. Even though be reached base safely, when he occupied the same base as Segura as the trail runner, he would be called out. Segura retreated to first base safely so there should be no put out on him on that play.

According to the espn box score it shows Segura getting CS out at 3rd base when it was actually 2nd base. Would like to see how this is officially scored.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
The put out on Braun should be a Caught Stealing as he was the trail runner on a double steal. Even though be reached base safely, when he occupied the same base as Segura as the trail runner, he would be called out. Segura retreated to first base safely so there should be no put out on him on that play.

Correct, but with the next batter in the box(and Segura at 1st) Segura tried to steal 2nd again and was caught stealing.

Members online

Latest posts