Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What changed in 1920-ish to allow for more Homeruns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
Being a baseball fan, I think I should know the answer to this, but I really don't. I know "rules" changed, but what rules? Were they all implemented at the same time? Other than Babe Ruth being absolutely incredible and even better than the legend, what happened to allow other mere baseball mortals to begin hitting HRs too?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would have to say that the biggest part was the Babe making the HR something to go for. Pre 20's ball was all about the single. Slap hitting and chop shots. That was how the game was played with few exceptions. After Ruth made the HR swing popular, more and more tried to emulate. Much like when Wilt dominated with the Dunk, now it's all Basketball is about.

Just my 2.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
This is when the rules changed to ban foreign substances on the ball and that multiple baseballs would be used in a game. Previously, the same ball would often be used for the entire game and it would get pretty nasty. I'm sure the above link explains this.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Very interesting read. This was my guess before I read the article.

Ballpark dimensions
Many ballparks had big dimensions, such as the West Side Grounds of the Chicago Cubs, which was 560 feet to the center field fence, and the Huntington Avenue Grounds of the Boston Red Sox, which was 635 feet to the center field fence. The dimensions of Braves Field prompted Ty Cobb to say that no one would ever hit the ball out of it.

I think that also explains why there are Triples records that may never be broken.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
chashawk said:

Ballpark dimensions
Many ballparks had big dimensions, such as the West Side Grounds of the Chicago Cubs, which was 560 feet to the center field fence, and the Huntington Avenue Grounds of the Boston Red Sox, which was 635 feet to the center field fence. The dimensions of Braves Field prompted Ty Cobb to say that no one would ever hit the ball out of it.

I think that also explains why there are Triples records that may never be broken.
I looked at the dimensions of Braves park and in 1915 they were:
Left field: 402; Left-center: 402.5 field: 440; Right-center: 402; Right field: 402

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
When America entered WW1 there was a need for wool uniforms of a very large number. To meet this need machinery was produced that spun wool at a great tensile strength. This same machinery was used to wind the wool that was used in baseball production. The tighter winding made baseballs react differently when compressed by the force of a bat.

That is why baseballs began to fly farther... because of WW1.

Disclaimer: That is, if my memory isn't faulty...

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
crowhop said:
chashawk said:

Ballpark dimensions

I looked at the dimensions of Braves park and in 1915 they were:
Left field: 402; Left-center: 402.5 field: 440; Right-center: 402; Right field: 402

I've always wondered what the first reaction of the players on the 1914 WS team that played in Fenway was when they first saw Braves field. That was a hell of a change in dimensions.

Members online

Latest posts