Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Andy Pettitte wins 250th game and his son is drafted on the same day!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Yankees' Andy Pettitte today became the 47th pitcher in major league history to reach 250 career victories.

But what happened just as the game ended meant even more to him. His first-born son, Josh Pettitte, a right-handed pitcher for Deer Park High School in Texas, was drafted by the Yankees in the 37th round of the Major League draft.

"I'll remember this one, that's for sure," said Pettitte, who also picked up his 213th victory as a Yankee, putting him third on the franchise's career list behind Whitey Ford (236) and Red Ruffing (231).

Josh, who was with his father in the dugout during the game, got a call from Yankees director of amateur scouting Damon Opperheimer in the Yankee clubhouse as the game was ending.

"I was shaving and I walked out and Damon's on the phone," Pettitte said. "I gave him a big hug and kiss and told him I was proud of him.

Josh, who had a pair of no-hitters this season, has a scholarship offer to play for Baylor. That's where his dad wants him to go.

"It's an honor to have the Yankees take him and we're excited about that," Pettitte said. "It's a good situation to have the opportunity for a lot of teams to look at him. But the money wasn't going to be there to where I felt he needed to pass up on Baylor. Dad's hoping Baylor is what he's going to do."

Asked what he gets the most satisfaction from, his 250th win or Josh being drafted, Pettitte said, "It all ties together now. You can't separate them. It happened here with the game ending. It's pretty cool."

What's also tied in is his association with Marino Rivera. The Yankees closer worked the ninth and saved a Pettitte victory for the 71st time, the most of any pitching combination since the save rule was established.

"I have the same joy he has, knowing that I've been there for every one of them," said Rivera, who earned his 630th save to add to his major league record. "I've been able to contribute a little bit to his success. I'm as happy as he is. He pitched a tremendous game today. To be there for his 250th, that's special."

"I feel blessed to play the game as long as I have," Pettitte said, "and to have Mo close it out is special because he's such a good friend."

"Two hundred-fifty wins and a lot of postseason wins, too," Yankee manager Joe Girardi said of Pettitte. "He's been a great Yankee, one of the all-time greats. It's been a pleasure to play with him and a pleasure to manage him."

Members online

Latest posts