Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Monday November 25, 2013 Calling Mr. Hodges.....Calling Mr. Hodges....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo of the day features an incredible image of Brooklyn Dodgers first base man, Gil Hodges. That batting practice photo features Mr. Hodges right before he would uncoil what undoubtably would be a vicious swing at the horse hide. I love this photo as it is a crystal clear color photo that nearly puts you right into the action. Notice no batting gloves, helmets or any other modern body armour on this legendary hitter. Just pure hitter against pitcher.

I hope you enjoy today's photo of the day.

gil-hodges-brooklyn-bp_zpsbf553f89.jpg

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
No batting gloves, but there is something wrapped around the handle of the bat where his top hand is -- a bunch of tape to make it thicker where his top hand holds the bat? Never seen that before...

mchenrycards

Are gloves and helmet REQUIRED?

Gloves are not required but helmets are in the MLB right now. At the time this photo was taken helmets were not required and generally not used at all. Fun fact that is stuck in my head....Bob Montgomery of the Red Sox was the last player to NOT use a batting helmet. He played his last game in 1979 and because he played before the time when hemets were required by all players in MLB he had the choice of not using one.

As for the wrapping around the top of the handle, frequently that was seen if a player has an injured thumb or if he was experiencing some sort of vibration in the bat which would cause thumb and hand discomfort. The heavy padding would cut down on the vibration and therefore cause less pain in the hand. I can only assume this was the case with Hodges in this picture.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Notice no batting gloves, helmets or any other modern body armour on this legendary hitter. Just pure hitter against pitcher.

you just know it's batting practice, right? ;)

your reply in this thread did beat me to it about why I'm not impressed he's wearing no batting helmet. I love my WS films from the 40's and 50's where the players wore their cloth field cap at the plate since batting helmets weren't widespread until the 60's.

Anyway, love this photo - a photo with the color and clarity I wish Topps would license and use more often for retired player trading cards, especially considering a lot of the grainier color photos or b/w photos they use in their products for the retireds nowdays.

mchenrycards

you just know it's batting practice, right? ;)

your reply in this thread did beat me to it about why I'm not impressed he's wearing no batting helmet. I love my WS films from the 40's and 50's where the players wore their cloth field cap at the plate since batting helmets weren't widespread until the 60's.

Anyway, love this photo - a photo with the color and clarity I wish Topps would license and use more often for retired player trading cards, especially considering a lot of the grainier color photos or b/w photos they use in their products for the retireds nowdays.

I think the batting cage gave it away that it was just BP! LOL. I know most current players wear helmets during BP but there was no doubt in my eyes when this photo was taken.

I Agree with the grainier photos. It is this type of crystal clear photo that draws me to them. It is almost like you can jump right into the action.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think the batting cage gave it away that it was just BP! LOL. I know most current players wear helmets during BP but there was no doubt in my eyes when this photo was taken.

that's not really it. I just thought you were being overly dramatic with the "hitter vs pitcher" line when the point of BP is that a pitcher is to be submissive to the hitter who is getting warmed up in the cage or working on things. That's why I tried to add humor that it's only BP, not game action when you do have the epic battles of hitter vs pitcher.

mchenrycards

I guess my dramatic commentary on this pitcture is allot better than the usueal drama that has occurred on this board in the past!! :)

I think it was a given thatthis was batting practice and anybody who knows anything knows the pitcher is being submissive to the hitter. I honestly dont think this needed to be pointed out.

Members online

Latest posts