Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My review of all 2013 baseball products

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Gonna be a long post but would like you all to add some of your opinions.

TOPPS

Base product 1,2, update: like usual, this is what topps does best! Tons of cards, tons of packs, tons of shiny and cool inserts all a very friendly price. Update is especially loaded!

Opening day: so this is a product that is a lower end version of Topps right? Is that really needed? absolutely not. See my archives review.

Bow w/ bc: typical in that it's "all or nothing" concerning the auto. Ok fun factor as long as you like prospects.

Bowman chrome: time to ditch this product. Way over priced and way too loaded with vet Refractors.

Bowman draft: actually a fun break, lots of color, inserts and added value with those wave packs.

Bowman platinum: if product did not contain prospects and was renamed Topps Platnum, this would be a solid and much-needed item in the hobby.

Bowman inception: nice-looking cards but yet again another unneeded prospect product especially at $100 a pack. Product should be canned.

Heritage: typical product every year which appeals to a very specific group. Not my cup of tea but there's no reason for to go anywhere, it's very popular.

Allen & ginter: totally ridiculous "hidden" card gimmick aside, it was a pretty solid product this year. Always popular so no reason to Can this one.

Gypsy queen: completely utterly an unnecessary product. There's no need for more retro stuff. Time for the trash.

Archives: product should be reconfigured to a one dollar price point to take over the "opening-day" spot. For the obscenely bad variety of low low end autos, it's very over priced. Ditch the two $4 autos a box and make those one a case.

Museum: au'some another $50 product that's not needed especially when the content is terrible. Ditch.

Tribute: lost some luster this year after a less than stellar performance. And what happened to the one a pack encased card that really made the product stand out? this is probably a keeper though.

Tier one : does a hobby need another $100 pack of cards? again absolutely not. Nothing special and like tribute took a step back this year. On chopping block.

Triple threads: as usual really nice looking cards and as usual a really horrible break. There is no reason to open these packs just use that same hundred dollar bill and buy a good amount of singles. It is popular so I guess it has to stay.

Finest: the longest running premium brand of all time has to stay because of its popularity. Even though like usual it was very overpriced, it is a nice looking card.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Bowman sterling: three autos for $50 using a nice chrome stock. If you love (prospect) autos, this is for you. For the price of four boxes of bowman chrome, you get 14 more autos with lots of color.

Topps chrome: now here's a product worth collecting! Two autos a box, nice inserts, nice color and over all fun break at an affordable price.

Five star: you opened a pack and got these cards: miggy auto, Aaron auto, fielder auto, kingman auto, jumbo ripken jersey....guessed what? You LOST $! And that's what's wrong with a $500 pack.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Nice reviews.Although I do enjoy collecting some of the rarer Bowman Chrome vet refractors.

rocky1969

Sep 11, 2013
Great reviews. I didn't buy triple threads or tribute. Never get the value back. Had a lot of fun with Topps Chrome.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Gonna be a long post but would like you all to add some of your opinions.

TOPPS

Base product 1,2, update: like usual, this is what topps does best! Tons of cards, tons of packs, tons of shiny and cool inserts all a very friendly price. Update is especially loaded!

Opening day: so this is a product that is a lower end version of Topps right? Is that really needed? absolutely not. See my archives review.

Bow w/ bc: typical in that it's "all or nothing" concerning the auto. Ok fun factor as long as you like prospects.

Bowman chrome: time to ditch this product. Way over priced and way too loaded with vet Refractors.

Bowman draft: actually a fun break, lots of color, inserts and added value with those wave packs.

Bowman platinum: if product did not contain prospects and was renamed Topps Platnum, this would be a solid and much-needed item in the hobby.

Bowman inception: nice-looking cards but yet again another unneeded prospect product especially at $100 a pack. Product should be canned.

Heritage: typical product every year which appeals to a very specific group. Not my cup of tea but there's no reason for to go anywhere, it's very popular.

Allen & ginter: totally ridiculous "hidden" card gimmick aside, it was a pretty solid product this year. Always popular so no reason to Can this one.

Gypsy queen: completely utterly an unnecessary product. There's no need for more retro stuff. Time for the trash.

Archives: product should be reconfigured to a one dollar price point to take over the "opening-day" spot. For the obscenely bad variety of low low end autos, it's very over priced. Ditch the two $4 autos a box and make those one a case.

Museum: au'some another $50 product that's not needed especially when the content is terrible. Ditch.

Tribute: lost some luster this year after a less than stellar performance. And what happened to the one a pack encased card that really made the product stand out? this is probably a keeper though.

Tier one : does a hobby need another $100 pack of cards? again absolutely not. Nothing special and like tribute took a step back this year. On chopping block.

Triple threads: as usual really nice looking cards and as usual a really horrible break. There is no reason to open these packs just use that same hundred dollar bill and buy a good amount of singles. It is popular so I guess it has to stay.

Finest: the longest running premium brand of all time has to stay because of its popularity. Even though like usual it was very overpriced, it is a nice looking card.

Bowman sterling: three autos for $50 using a nice chrome stock. If you love (prospect) autos, this is for you. For the price of four boxes of bowman chrome, you get 14 more autos with lots of color.

Topps chrome: now here's a product worth collecting! Two autos a box, nice inserts, nice color and over all fun break at an affordable price.

Five star: you opened a pack and got these cards: miggy auto, Aaron auto, fielder auto, kingman auto, jumbo ripken jersey....guessed what? You LOST $! And that's what's wrong with a $500 pack.

Like the reviews but definitely disagree on some of these.

Can the following: Gypsy, Opening Day, Museum, Tier One, Finest, Sterling, Tribute, Platinum.

Combine Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft. Many people like the vet chrome parallels (IMO some of the best cards available) and taking out Bowman Chrome would get rid of all of those. Put them in Bowman Draft and that would make it a lot better.

No reason at all to Can Inception. It was a very very good product last year and has the nicest looking Prospect cards available

Only High end products worth keeping are Triple Threads(Huge popularity and some really nice cards) and Five Star(If they can bring box price down). Five star has the nicest looking cards out there from Topps.

Love the idea of replacing Opening day with Archives.

Finest is exactly the same as Chrome (at least in terms of players) The resale value is AWFUL unless you hit the 93 refractors. There is absolutely no reason to keep Finest around.

Sterling and Platinum both need to go. The worst value breaks and who needs more prospect autos there are already Inception, Draft, W/ Chrome, Chrome.

Keep two high end products. No need for the other ones. Its hard to argue that Tier One or Tribute are better than Triple Threads and Five Star.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Museum has the best track record, IMO. I think it's Topps' nicest high-end. What sucks is that some of the nicest single cards released from Topps this year came out of a mine-field of product (ie, Tier 1 and Gypsy Queen) .

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Here are my panini reviews:

Pinnacle: the inserts are by far the best stuff in this product. Definitely a reminder of 90s cards. The autos are crap but for the initial cost and quality/ coolness of inserts, it's worth it.

USA champions: three autos, three Gu a box at less than $70? Sign me up! The autos and Gu are mostly prospects/ young guys although there's a nice amount of vets. Base cards, like pinnacle are ok, not flashy. The colored certified inserts are awesome looking!

Prizm: nice looking cards and thankfully more color (possible) was added this year. Autos are really bad and at original cost, not worth it. Product needs more color per box with improved auto checklist.

Perennial prizm: heads and tails better than above. Four autos a box, loaded with only prospects especially newly drafted. All the big boys included.

Other panini products I couldn't carry so can't do a review.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I've always felt that Topps Chrome should be whacked and just inserted as an insert in base Topps.

2 chrome per pack. Topps Chrome sets would be of value.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I've always felt that Topps Chrome should be whacked and just inserted as an insert in base Topps.

2 chrome per pack. Topps Chrome sets would be of value.
That is actually a really good idea. Never thought of that before but that would make Topps Chrome sets worth a lot IMO.

I like it!

If Panini could just get logos I think Prizm and Pinnacle would be some of the best products on the market.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Topps OD does have a place in the Hobby and I believe Archives should be retail only.

And I like the idea of merging Bowman Platinum and Sterling into some kind of Hybrid mix and making Topps Platinum a regular set...

Members online

Latest posts