Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is the potential for Kershaw's Bowman Chrome Auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Full disclaimer, I owe quite a few of these. I do not believe my post here will have any impact on the prices of these cards (it's not like he's a prospect no-one knows about or a card that is cheap these days...) and there's a chance I sell some of my Kershaws in the near future as they are already more than double what I paid so take it for what it is worth.

Now with the disclosure out of the way...

A while back I wondered whether there was a chance that Kershaw's Bowman Chrome RC Auto could be the pitching equivalent of Mike Trout's Bowman Chrome Auto if both maintained their performance. The way I saw it, both are young players who are putting up historically good numbers, but while Trout's RC Auto was skyrocketing, Kershaw's had stayed closer to the prices of his peers.

Fast forward a few months and Trout is the favorite for AL MVP, and Kershaw has managed to somehow improve over his incredible season last year. Trout's Bowman Chrome RC Auto is around $1000, and Kershaw's has been steadily rising recently, with a couple of BIN's being hit for $300 (and the only listings up now looking for $350 or more).

This has left me wondering where the market on Kershaw's rookie autographs could end up. I don't imagine that they will reach Trout numbers, since pitchers never sell for as much as hitters, but it seems like the hobby is starting to recognize Kershaw as being in a different league than guys like Verlander and King Felix. For a long time their RC Auto's all sold for fairly similar amounts (although by the end of last season Kershaw was already going for more than the pair). Meanwhile performance-wise, Felix and Verlander have been two of the best in baseball, but have not transcended the era in the way that Kershaw has to this point.

To me, if Kershaw can end the season with an ERA under 2 and win another Cy Young, his Bowman Chrome RC Auto could easily hit $500 as people really start talking about where his historical status will end up.

(Insanely, other than his 1 2/3 inning debacle where he gave up 7 runs, his ERA for the season is 1.22 and he's given up 15 runs in 15 starts.)

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I thought about this last night..I really think if he can stay healthy that his cards have room to increase in value. He's just THAT good.

Luckily I was able to snag a Sterling RC AU on eBay in May for $29 dlvd. Pretty happy with that purchase

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Any more thoughts a month later?

Who's ready for a 2 case group break of bowman draft? Will we ever see the longoria super? [MENTION=1816]All In Cards[/MENTION], what are the 2006 bowman draft sealed cases going for on dealernet? I have two available and I think I may be looking to move them.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Where were they sitting last year and during the beginning of season when he was injured ?

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts