Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How I Learned to Stop Being Angry and Love the 20x Guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I bought a 2011 Topps Marquee Museum Collection Albert Pujols autograph a while ago. It was steep, about $550 as I recall, but it was BGS 9, I could afford it, and I really wanted it. A couple weeks ago, another copy came up for auction (#6/10) and while I considered trying to hoard copies, especially as it sat around $300 for most of the auction, I decided to not seriously go after it. Good thing, as it ended up selling at $736.
$_12.JPG

But I was sort of stunned to see the same card listed again, except for the somewhat inflated asking price of $18,000. Curious about the seller, I checked out his other items and at least the other Museums follow that pattern of listing the cards for several multiples of what he won them for. The Castro was won for a BO under $200, but I don't know about the others.

Actually, it might be a recent thing. He has a 2007 UD Masterpieces Koufax 1/1 currently listed at $4000, but it was just $180 the other day and I considered buying it. What a steal that would have been.

I realize that people are free to list things for whatever they wish, and I know that all it takes is one buyer to hit a BIN or make even a 50% offer and it's like hitting the jackpot. And every few months there's a thread about Vintagesnowmobiles, Burbank, Griffeyfan24, those guys with amazing inventories priced like they don't actually want to sell them. Still, it makes me wonder what other motivations people have for such listings. I really doubt they sell for anywhere near their listed prices. This guy has half a dozen cards on offer, so it's not like he's just trying to set the market for whatever he has (I assume). Just bragging? Trying to attract offers for more of the same cards? Trying to attract off-ebay sales? It's frustrating because I nearly hit the $195 BIN on that Castro as it was a good price on a fine young player (dude's going to have 1000 hits by the time he's 25). Not content with merely flipping it, this seller looks like he is trying to turn every card into a lottery ticket.

So I decided to turn my curiosity away from outrage and frustration into opportunity. I have almost 50 2011 Museums. Maybe I should just list them all for $2500 apiece and see what happens. Except the HOFers, they're $22,500 (marked down from $25,000).

Members online

Latest posts