Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Small rant about the MLB license (from a slightly different angle)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Much has been said about the MLB exclusive license that Topps has and how it has not been a positive thing from the hobbyist's point of view (I even conducted a poll here about the topic to confirm that, indeed, we don't like it and think it has been a negative thing overall). I do think that Topps just seems to get sloppier and sloppier and that probably has a lot to do with arrogance and a lack of logo-ed competition, but I want to rant for a second over a slightly different angle on the topic.

Why the hell does MLB have to make Topps put active players in every set they produce? What's wrong with a retired- or HOF-only product, a la Topps Tribute 2001 or 2004, or the Topps Retired line of the early 2000s? I dig those products and want to see more like them. I guess I get MLB's desire to connect people to today's game and its stars, but I just don't want RCs and autographs of semi-stars. I want retired stars and HOFers.

I had to rant about this because I just saw the photos of Panini's HOF product coming out, and it has everything I want in a product content-wise EXCEPT FOR LOGOS. We don't need to rehash the debate over a preference for logos, but all I can say is that the lack of logos puts me off (and I really don't like the design with the shiny Crusades-type borders around a picture of Alexander Cartwright, but that is another rant). Topps has proven that they can do a nice retired-only product, but stupid MLB won't let them.

Rant over

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I have the exact opposite complaint about Topps constantly putting retired players in standard base sets. The yearly Topps base set should not have ANY retired players in it unless they are managers or maybe the latest HOF class. There should not be a card of Mickey Mantle or Stan Musial in the base set every year, SP or not. Save that for the retired sets.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I have the exact opposite complaint about Topps constantly putting retired players in standard base sets. The yearly Topps base set should not have ANY retired players in it unless they are managers or maybe the latest HOF class. There should not be a card of Mickey Mantle or Stan Musial in the base set every year, SP or not. Save that for the retired sets.
I can get on board with this. I personally kind of like pulling a retired great out of Topps Series 1 or 2, but I feel your complaint and would happily leave them out if they could have their own products. Of course, I think this is a decision Topps could make on their own (MLB isn't forcing retired guys into products to my knowledge). MLB is the barrier to a retired-only product for Topps.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This all boils down to the exclusive license that Topps has... They shouldn't have an exclusive and there should be at least two or more players in the baseball card game for the use of logo's, etc. I know that is beating a dead horse but it's just sad... it really is.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
2002 Topps Super Teams was one of my favorite products, as it celebrated baseball history through spotlighting 10 great teams. I know Topps probably wouldn't bring it back in any case, but the set is an impossibility with MLB's rule that all of their sets have current players in them.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA

Especially when they use the same photos over and over again.

Members online

Latest posts