Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you guys think of this idea? Collectorcrate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Here is the website
http://www.collectorcrate.com/

I ran across the mention of this on another forum. They didn't seem to like the idea very much. I am almost tempted to try it. I have seen the LootCrate videos online and I assume this is a similar take on that for the card collector.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Just searched YouTube and I cant find anyone getting these. I did see some written reviews in the Twitter feed they have. I may be the guinea pig here and give the lowest level a try. It looks pretty interesting to me.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I think if you want to try it you should have fun spending $30 a month for them to send you $12 worth of garbage packs and cards of players you don't collect.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I think if you want to try it you should have fun spending $30 a month for them to send you $12 worth of garbage packs and cards of players you don't collect.

I guess we will see. I am giving it a try. I am only getting one. I didn't sign up for 3 or 6 months though. I think this could be a good idea if they do it right. Other versions of this such as the LootCrate have been pretty popular. Although that's not sports related though.

Its 10 packs which equals 2.99 a pack. I have done a lot worse on group breaks and such. I will update and let you guys know how it goes.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I had never heard of this but not surprised someone thought of the idea and are trying to capitalize on it. IMO I do not think it will be anything or anything other than a cool gift idea for someone for one month or three months, etc. Think of the "clubs" you can join for wine, beer, cigars, etc. I bet 90% of those are just gifts and people giving them to other people but they probably don't have many true collectors or return customers for a long period of time because if you're serious about said hobby or item, you will just go get it yourself. Take this for example, no one here can even attempt to see how spending $99 a month on their high end product would give you the return you need, right? I mean I guess in the packs you get maybe you'll pull something but they have to make money, so you're not getting a $100 pack of cards because there is still another pack included, plus all the other stuff, s/h and they need a profit in there somewhere.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Ever since my favorite group breaker closed shop I've missed some random breaking so I got a gold baseball & we'll see what it brings. I figure since this is their very first box they will give it their best effort to get people hyped up & coming back. Based on the site images & a review of a Silver football box it all looks like current product. We'll give them a shot, thanks for sharing!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I like the idea but the chances of getting what you feel you deserve and/or want are probably not very good.
Exactly the reason for my feelings around this is a good gift but nothing else. No one will sign-up for a 12 month deal of this because it'll fuel their addiction or their hobby needs, etc.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Ever since my favorite group breaker closed shop I've missed some random breaking so I got a gold baseball & we'll see what it brings. I figure since this is their very first box they will give it their best effort to get people hyped up & coming back. Based on the site images & a review of a Silver football box it all looks like current product. We'll give them a shot, thanks for sharing!

Cool let us know yours is. I really think this is a neat idea if it is managed properly. I know everyone worries about the value you may get for what you pay. I also like to look at the mystery or surprise of what you may get as well. It just seems like a fun thing to do so I am considering that factor as well. I think it would be cool if someone did this with vintage cards and packs also.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
there is a blog that cracked open a bronze-level collectorcrate that was sent to the blogger before the product's release for review/promotion.

Definitely not $30 of value in there.

Might only be worth trying one time if there are reports that some collectorcrates offer more than $25 of value (giving them the benefit of doubt that $5 of that $30 covers shipping expenses).

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Found a review that received this in one of the $30 boxes:

• (1) Pittsburgh Pirates decal
  • (1) Chicago White Sox mini pennant
  • (1) Mini foam finger
  • (1) Arizona Diamondbacks plastic baseball
  • (1) Big League gumball
  • (1) Mike Wright 2012 Bowman Platinum Auto
  • (1) Matt Kemp 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter Jersey
  • (1) 2013 Topps Mini pack
  • (1) 1993 Bowman pack
  • (1) 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars pack
  • (1) 2009 Upper Deck Series 2 pack
  • (1) 2014 Topps Series 1 pack
  • (1) 2012 Topps Series 2 pack
  • (1) 2008 Donruss Elite Extra Edition pack
  • (1) 2010 Upper Deck Series 1 pack
  • (1) 2013 Topps MLB Chipz pack
  • (1) 2014 Topps Chrome pack
  • (1) 2014 Topps Heritage pack

Does not sound promising. The packs aren't complete trash like 1989 Topps, but most of it is junk you'd be hard-pressed to pay $1 for. The site didn't mention if they were hobby or retail packs.

BUT IT DID HAVE A GUMBALL!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Granted that it's all low end cards and packs, but there's about $40 worth of product in that review.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Found a review that received this in one of the $30 boxes:

• (1) Pittsburgh Pirates decal
  • (1) Chicago White Sox mini pennant
  • (1) Mini foam finger
  • (1) Arizona Diamondbacks plastic baseball
  • (1) Big League gumball
  • (1) Mike Wright 2012 Bowman Platinum Auto
  • (1) Matt Kemp 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter Jersey
  • (1) 2013 Topps Mini pack
  • (1) 1993 Bowman pack
  • (1) 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars pack
  • (1) 2009 Upper Deck Series 2 pack
  • (1) 2014 Topps Series 1 pack
  • (1) 2012 Topps Series 2 pack
  • (1) 2008 Donruss Elite Extra Edition pack
  • (1) 2010 Upper Deck Series 1 pack
  • (1) 2013 Topps MLB Chipz pack
  • (1) 2014 Topps Chrome pack
  • (1) 2014 Topps Heritage pack

Does not sound promising. The packs aren't complete trash like 1989 Topps, but most of it is junk you'd be hard-pressed to pay $1 for. The site didn't mention if they were hobby or retail packs.

BUT IT DID HAVE A GUMBALL!

I'd be satisfied with that.. Honestly I expected much worse.

Not great but good enough I guess.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Granted that it's all low end cards and packs, but there's about $40 worth of product in that review.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Going by D&A's box prices and rounding up on per pack prices:

(1) 2013 Topps Mini pack $1.50
(1) 1993 Bowman pack $3
(1) 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars pack $1.50
(1) 2009 Upper Deck Series 2 pack $4 (if it was hobby but I doubt it)
(1) 2014 Topps Series 1 pack $2
(1) 2012 Topps Series 2 pack $1 (I could see this was a 12-card retail pack)
(1) 2008 Donruss Elite Extra Edition pack $4
(1) 2010 Upper Deck Series 1 pack $1 (not in stock at D&A but they were practically giving these away for years)
(1) 2013 Topps MLB Chipz pack $1 (the current product D&A is giving away)
(1) 2014 Topps Chrome pack $3
(1) 2014 Topps Heritage pack $3

That's $25 plus what, $5 for the cheapo auto and GU? So I stand corrected that's about $30 in value in the special preview pack they sent a card blogger for free so he could write nice things about them. Personally I'd rather spend $30 on cards or packs I know I want than packs that somebody picks out for me, I know I have precious little interest in opening half of those packs. But maybe it'd make a nice gift for somebody who doesn't know anything about cards and wants to give something they know is near the value they are spending, so they aren't being ripped off. And it's probably a better deal than those boxes of random packs from Target or Wal-Mart.

Latest posts