Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting goof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Saw it on blow out that Topps put the Angels prospect Mike Piazza auto sticker on the Dodgers Mike Piazza card!

Just a heads up

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Aw, I thought this was going to be about supreme pizza. I'm hungry.

But the Piazza mixup reminds me of the Tony Gwynn Jr. autographs on the Tony Gwynn Upper Deck cards a few years ago.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
too bad they didn't do the reverse in pro debut (put a Mike Piazza catcher auto on a Mike Piazza minor leaguer card).

Among my best value auto pickups was the card picturing Ryan Braun Royals pitcher and the sticker auto was Ryan Braun Brewers superstar.

Guess this piazza goof is more incentive for Topps to do on-card autos so it's the right player and right auto, or else improve the sticker and relic inventory system so these kinds of things do not happen again. Looks like they need to add DOB to the tagging in their system rather than just rely on name.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
IBDp19K.gif

This was posted on the BO boards in the thread about the same thing. Made me lol.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Wow - I'm a huge Piazza fan and that's a beautiful card. How did they manage to f that one up.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, haha... that's a big F up.

I'm surprised the thread has gone this long and still no pictures of the actual card and/or Piazza's actual autograph

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Hope it's not too small

Attachments

• 1414788061413.jpg
    1414788061413.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 71

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Theyalso have Bagwell autos in this product yet his previous redemptions have not been fulfilled to my knowledge. Typical.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
That is just funny. How Topps could F that up, I have no idea.

Because they hire non-baseball fans to make baseball cards.

If you are going to employ that practice for security reasons, they are going to have to have more quality control in their inventory process so you aren't mistaking Mike Piazza potential HOF with Mike Piazza prospect.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Because they hire non-baseball fans to make baseball cards.

If you are going to employ that practice for security reasons, they are going to have to have more quality control in their inventory process so you aren't mistaking Mike Piazza potential HOF with Mike Piazza prospect.

I had never thought of that that's a pretty interesting insights. It does help explain how these mess ups occur. It's still can't happen this way as there still has to be away that the system alerts the workers when there's two people with the same name and gives them some sort of image or something to work on that but it does provide insight

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
It's still can't happen this way as there still has to be away that the system alerts the workers when there's two people with the same name (...)

That's why I think they should use DOB as an additional identifier - when the work order is for 100 Mike Piazza potential HOF'er auto cards, the request should include that Mike's DOB and the worker can go grab the bag of stickers that not only says "Mike Piazza" on it, but includes a DOB and then the worker should match up both the names and DOB to verify the auto stickers are correct for the card to be made.

How cool would it be if MLB and MLBPA got together and made up some player "stagename" rules sort of along the lines of what SAG does with actors? I think back to the junk wax era when you had a cool Greg Harris and a not so cool one, or at least two and I think it may have even been three "Jeff Robinson"'s. A stagename system may help out confusion for fans and official licensees when two players would have the same name without the stagename rule.

Hey Guys. The Supreme Piazza 1/1 is mine. As a Mets fan and Hall of Fame collector the ONLY card I really wanted from the product.
A little back story: When Topps posted pictures on release day of the autographed patches on twitter I asked for Piazza. They posted one and I asked if it was mockup as I have NEVER
seen him sign like that EVER. Within 30 minutes Topps erased all the tweets in regard to Piazza. I asked them what happened and they went quiet. Less than 5 hours later I pull the
1/1 Piazza patch. Ugh! After 3 fruitless calls to Topps and 2 emails I get a email stating to send the card back and they will "rectify it". I emailed them and said I wanted to talk to someone
in person. I call again and was told it was "human error" I asked if I would be compensated for shpping/insurance/tracking and I was told we"don't do that" I said I wanted to talk to a
supervisor and was told no one available. Waiting for a call for 2 days......So goes the saga

Il keep you guys updated...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That's a crazy story. That is like me asking them to see a Belle, they show it with a bad auto and delete it... I then get in my car and buy a box at the LCS, to only pull said 1/1. That's crazy.

Anyways, what are you going to do with it? What a kick in the balls that it's the wrong auto.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Its not mine, saw it in blow out.

Apparently, all the piazza cards have the wrong auto.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts