Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have you ever received a terrible card/collectible gift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Tis the season...have you ever received a terrible card or collectible gift that you had to pretend to like so the giver wouldn't feel bad? Or something that you like but you know the person horribly overpaid for?

I just thought of this because my wife mentioned the other day that she got a great deal on something for me, normal price $400 but she paid $100. I figured maybe it was a jacket or something like that, as she usually sticks to buying card/collectible stuff for me from my ebay and Amazon wishlists and I didn't have anything like that on there. Then she got something in the mail today that was about the size of an 8x10 photo from a card shop I've never heard of in Anaheim and she said THAT was her incredible deal. My heart just sank because I feel like she probably got ripped off for an overpriced 8x10 autograph with a worthless COA...but I can't TELL her that. She knows I'm a big Oakland A's fan and heavily collect A's stuff, so I'm hoping it's McGwire or Rickey Henderson so that it's not an insane ripoff. Reggie Jackson would be okay. Very worried that it's somebody like Jose Canseco, Dennis Eckersley, Rollie Fingers, or Yoenis Cespedes that isn't worth nearly $100 and I already have many autographs of. I'm not the best at pretending I'm excited about something.

I almost got a really bad card gift a couple of years ago...my wife's godmother gave me a package of some old junk wax packs that I hope she didn't overpay on...but also included were about 2,000 penny sleeves so it was actually a really awesome gift.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Nod and smile!

I don't have anyone buy me anything sports related anymore other than a tshirt or something. I just use the excuse that I sell to many cards to collect even though I do have a very small PC

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Nod and smile!

I don't have anyone buy me anything sports related anymore other than a tshirt or something. I just use the excuse that I sell to many cards to collect even though I do have a very small PC

I do the same... If someone REALLY wants to get me something for my PC, I ask them to just get me an eBay card...

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Last year my brother got me a beat Astros hat. Like, trucker style, snap back, but looked like it had been in the bottom of someones bat bag.

But then it was a gag and he gave me a New fitted one since they had redone their uniforms for the move to the AL. Only wore it Christmas break. Been rockin Orange and Black ever since.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
i have and i usually say something if it is something that was not a good deal. It may make them feel bad for a little while but i would rather them know better than to keep wasting their money year after year.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Never really got anything too bad but last year my mom asked me what cards/brands/etc I like so I just told her Topps Chrome or Panini Prizm and suggested the blaster boxes at Target just to keep it simple, you know non-collectors probably have a difficult time at card shops.

Well I went to her house Xmas morning and she gave me 10 packs of Prizm and a jumbo pack of regular Bowman. Not too bad until I saw the individual Prizm packs priced at either $4.99 or $5.99 a piece.. She made the biggest mistake, she went to a sports memorabilia store in a mall! I thanked her and happily opened them but couldn't help myself and told her she grossly overpaid and could have got double the amount but assured her that I was happy, etc.

Atleast I pulled a few autos in front of her so she could see that I got what I really wanted. Got a Clint Frazier auto that, at the time, was booking $150 on Beckett so I showed her that so she would feel like I got something really valuable and cool.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
$5 a pack for hobby packs doesn't sound that high. I don't know what the Prizm boxes were going for last year but I would think in the 5 range is pretty consistent for shops.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Oh! One more I forgot.. I am a huge Raiders fan and despise the Niners - to start off.

One Christmas, my aunt gave me a gift bag and I begin to happily open it and it's.... A Niners hat. I tried to pretend I was happy, it's the thought that counts, but this time I just couldn't hide my disgust. First off, I hated it, and second off, I felt like it was a slap in the face! Like c'mon, don't you know me by now???

Ironically enough, she got my dad who is a Niners fan, a Raiders hat. So we gladly switched and no harm done.

She's lucky I didn't despise snap backs yet lol

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Oh! One more I forgot.. I am a huge Raiders fan and despise the Niners - to start off.

One Christmas, my aunt gave me a gift bag and I begin to happily open it and it's.... A Niners hat. I tried to pretend I was happy, it's the thought that counts, but this time I just couldn't hide my disgust. First off, I hated it, and second off, I felt like it was a slap in the face! Like c'mon, don't you know me by now???

Ironically enough, she got my dad who is a Niners fan, a Raiders hat. So we gladly switched and no harm done.

She's lucky I didn't despise snap backs yet lol

You're a good man to keep your composure. I'm a huge Yankee fan and a girl I was dating once wore a Boston shirt when we went out.....for the last time

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I don't really ever receive gifts of sports cards or memorabilia unless I specifically request it. The one surprise was when a girlfriend got me a Carlton Fisk bobblehead, which was a terrific present.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I got a $50 gift card to mlb.com from my inlaws. It was a nice gesture, but the site really doesn't have the type of thing I collect and anything I had an interest in was overpriced. After trying to trade it for a long time with no luck, I finally got some apparel for my wife.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I actually will buy the Dodger balls if they are not much over $10. It's fun to see the different years together.

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
I do the same... If someone REALLY wants to get me something for my PC, I ask them to just get me an eBay card...

I'm the same way. I primarily collect singles so I would much rather buy something myself than have someone else get a card for me they "think" I'll like. I'll either already have it or they will overpay for it. So like you I'd rather get a gift card for eBay or Amazon to use for myself to get whatever I want and be happy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts