Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryu to have surgery - and why redemptions are completely unfair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Just saw an article that Hyun-Jin Ryu will likely have shoulder surgery and be out all season.

For Dodgers fans it has to be a little upsetting, but the team does not seem to be missing him much.

For me it's just another example about how incredibly ridiculous the redemption process is.

I bought a large stack of Ryu RC auto card redemptions back in 2013. As he was a pretty highly touted young player, I paid quite a bit for them. Waiting on the cards I had to weather the 2014 season, hoping he pitched well enough to keep prices at a decent level. Meanwhile of course Topps produced newer Ryu autograph cards (and the ones I was waiting for, from Topps Chrome were sticker autos, so they could have made the cards had they chosen.

Now it's almost 2 years later and Ryu goes down with an injury. I'd requested a replacement via email a while back but never heard from Topps. Meanwhile the injury could easily knock the prices of his cards down, and of course that leaves me out to dry.

Lesson learned I guess.

@thankstopps

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Just saw an article that Hyun-Jin Ryu will likely have shoulder surgery and be out all season.

For Dodgers fans it has to be a little upsetting, but the team does not seem to be missing him much.

For me it's just another example about how incredibly ridiculous the redemption process is.

I bought a large stack of Ryu RC auto card redemptions back in 2013. As he was a pretty highly touted young player, I paid quite a bit for them. Waiting on the cards I had to weather the 2014 season, hoping he pitched well enough to keep prices at a decent level. Meanwhile of course Topps produced newer Ryu autograph cards (and the ones I was waiting for, from Topps Chrome were sticker autos, so they could have made the cards had they chosen.

Now it's almost 2 years later and Ryu goes down with an injury. I'd requested a replacement via email a while back but never heard from Topps. Meanwhile the injury could easily knock the prices of his cards down, and of course that leaves me out to dry.

Lesson learned I guess.

@thankstopps

That's awful. I have yet to explore the realm of redemptions because of all the horror stories. I can't say I hope he comes back strong because I like the Giants but good luck with a replacement

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana

Lesson learned I guess.

@thankstopps

latest

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Isn't this a risk of prospecting?

There's a world of difference in taking a risk based on player performance and not being able to do anything with the cards for close to 2 years because they are pending. Ryu performed as expected last season and it would have been very easy to move them if I had them. Having them locked up for 18+ months is completely unfair.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Will he sign after surgery while healing though?

They have made new were cards with his signatures on it, it's not a question of whether he'll sign, it's a question of whether they care to make the cards.

Members online

Latest posts