Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eTopps-Anybody still have a portfolio? Or did you cash out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Just rediscover my eTopps portfolio full of cards from 2008 and 2009. Anybody else still have cards in their portfolios or did everybody cash out the cards and have them shipped back when it shutdown in 2012. Most of the eBay auctions I saw for them look like in-hand cards.

Looking through the cards in my portfolio, I would love to have most in hand, but I've heard the shipping is outrageous! Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I cashed out about 6 months ago. Just decided I'd rather have them in hand than have any more surprises come my way. The shipping was incredibly ridiculous (I think around $70 for 30 cards), but I bit the bullet since most my portfolio was the entire first year of baseball Etopps Classics. The whole program stunk, and Topps was not willing to find a less expensive way to ship. For what it's worth, the cards did arrive quickly are very nicely packaged. But overall, the experience leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I do think down the road these cards will appreciate.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Ugh, I have 43 cards in my account still, I believe I have the entire run of A's except for one or two cards, which is why I hadn't shipped them yet...I was worried about having them shipped then finding those last cards and having to make a second pricey shipment. I think I'll just bite the bullet and pay the $100 or whatever insane amount it is to ship them. Total paid $110.49, current value $32.73. Fabulous!

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Because of this thread, I just mailed 6 cards to me
They were the A&G Presidents cards... $24.00 to ship them

I have 43 cards left in there that are worth $29.05

I spent 249.00 for them.

I see there is no Fixed priced auctions so I may auction them off soon.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Haha I put in my shipment request and had to use "card purchasing logic" instead of "logic logic" to go through with it. I actually had 50 cards counting doubles, my total for the cheapest available shipping was $98.50. For cards currently valued at $32.73. At least I'm completely done with it, I'll try not to think about the awesome card I could have bought for $98.50.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
What a terrible CS move by them with the shipments. Never understood the reasoning behind it. For those who received them , any idea what the actual shipping cost was vs paid?

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I cashed out about 6 months ago. Just decided I'd rather have them in hand than have any more surprises come my way. The shipping was incredibly ridiculous (I think around $70 for 30 cards), but I bit the bullet since most my portfolio was the entire first year of baseball Etopps Classics. The whole program stunk, and Topps was not willing to find a less expensive way to ship. For what it's worth, the cards did arrive quickly are very nicely packaged. But overall, the experience leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I do think down the road these cards will appreciate.

I think they will too. It's hard to find certain ones in hand.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
This is great. I remember when the RROs were a weekly ritual then trying to flip ASAP on CardTarget, then the Fantasy Game/Challenge that also caused some huge inflation. Good times. I made a couple hundred bucks over the years.

I've got 39 cards with a market value of $65 and I don't want to know how much they cost me.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
They were the A&G Presidents cards... $24.00 to ship them

These are the reason I started digging and logged back into the site-hardly any are listed on eBay and a few are listed on COMC as in hand. I was looking to add the other ones I needed before having everything shipped, but I almost feel like most are in hand or forgotten about in a portfolio.

Thanks,
Jeff

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
The shipping was incredibly ridiculous (I think around $70 for 30 cards),
I do think down the road these cards will appreciate.

That's Insanity for the shipping.

And I agree that they will bounce back...but I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference in value between on hand and in portfolio copies...

Thanks,
Jeff

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
That's Insanity for the shipping.

And I agree that they will bounce back...but I wonder if there will be a noticeable difference in value between on hand and in portfolio copies...

Thanks,
Jeff

I would think that at some point they are going to totally shut it down and either you'll need to pay to have your cards shipped to you or they'll be destroyed. It can't be free for them to store thousands and thousands of eTopps cards and holders for years. I don't think any appreciation of value will happen until if/when this occurs. I'd love to know how many of each card have actually been shipped.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
E-Topps are what got me back into the hobby. I loved the program and did well building my port and flipping was the means to do so. I still have my port but it is down to just under 60 cards, that I will eventually have delivered. The auto program was fantastic and was able to get some good items from the points catalogs before points became worthless. Has anybody called Topps in attempts to see if delivery can be had at a reduced rate? As mentioned above, I am sure they do not want to hold these indefinitely. I would be interested if they started an E-Bowman program.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I love the e-topps cards, I was able to pick a bunch up super cheap once they announced the higher shipping charges. Most people were just dumping everything vs. having them be shipped. I just factored in the shipping to my bids, picked up the cards I wanted and had them shipped. I do remember I spent around $200 bucks on shipping though which I thought was ridiculous but I've stopped being amazed at how retarded topps is with they way they run things. But overall I still enjoy the cards and think that they are well designed.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
No, I never had a portfolio of etopps cards. But I do collect the Jim Thome etopps cards in-hand. I think I have most of them, but I'm not positive. They really are cool cards.

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My only etopps purchase was the Presidents set, which I had shipped to me on release. It's cool, set #24 out of 999 or whatever. Can't imagine the frustration people must feel to be extorted with those shipping rates.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
At one point (2004-2007), you could have the cards shipped to the nearests Topps "Hometown Advantage Store". There was a shop I would go to on the NW side of Chicago, and I'd have my cards shipped there. The shipping was minimal to do so (like 50 cents a card). After that promotion ended, I cashed out and sold everything I had left online. The store owner had no idea why they stopped shipping to the HTA stores.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
It can't be free for them to store thousands and thousands of eTopps cards and holders for years.

I'm actually of the belief that these cards aren't made until you have them shipped. I can't fathom that Topps made all these cards at the time of release to only warehouse them for years and years. In turn, that's why the shipping fees are so high because they in reality production fees for making producing the cards before sending them out. Just a theory, but that's the only way I can make sense of the "shipping" charges.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts