Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The GREATEST Felix Hernandez PC addition I have ever had (Zunino Too!) - SCANS INSIDE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

It has been awhile since I have posted recent pickups let alone Felix Hernandez additions. Frankly I haven't been purchasing anything beyond case break slots and the occasional box or two. I first got into collecting Felix Hernandez back in 2005. I had no clue how lucky I would be with the cards I invested in back then with how stellar Felix's performance has been to date. One of the best cards I have of his is his 2004 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor Autograph /50. I've had it since around 2008 or so and had always planned on getting it slabbed by either Beckett or PSA. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. BGS was at my LCS for the weekend doing on site raw reviews. I submitted 3 cards and had my minimum grades in mind. My Felix autograph has a very slight fingerprint (don't know if grading wise that is any different than an actual smudge) and my only hesitation was what the auto would grade at. Since BGS was at my shop I decided that if I could get a 9 on the card and a 9 on the auto I would be happy. I have NEVER had a card graded so I had zero experience of what to expect. The reviews were graded at what I was hoping for, so I had BGS take the raw reviews with them to turn into slabs. Here is where the greatness starts:

After the raw reviews were graded I was pretty happy! This is what I got:
C9499A1D-8D53-4F49-A16A-F11C06835D66.jpg

Both Zunino's were reviewed as I had hoped, even better on the red refractor! Here are the actual slabs now that I have them in hand:

2012 Bowman Chrome Mike Zunino Red Refractor 1st year prospect RC card 5/5:
zunino1_2.jpg
zunino3.jpg

2012 Topps Chrome Mike Zunino Superfractor Autograph 1/1:
zunino2.jpg
zunino4.jpg

The Felix went even better! The 9.5 really shocked me, but again I also have zero experience with grading. The subs came back as 9.5/9.5/9.5/10...and the auto was also given a 10! Not just that, but looking at the population report, the best card graded for a 2004 Bowman Chrome Felix Hernandez Gold Refractor Autograph was a 9.5 card with 10 auto where all subs were 9.5/9.5/9.5/9.5. There are a total of 7 graded gold refractors, and I cannot be ANY happier that not only do I now own a gem mint card, but it is THE BEST graded one surpassing the 4x 9.5 as the surface on mine got a 10 :)

BOOM! 2004 Bowman Chrome Felix Hernandez Gold Refractor Autograph 9.5 with 10 auto!!! (That huge line is a scratch on the BGS case :( )
felix1_1.jpg
felix2_1.jpg

Comments are always appreciated and thanks so much for taking the time to look and read, let alone share in my excitement!

Alex

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Alex

Great job ! The MZ's are tough cards and great grades. The Felix is a great card, do I agree w/ their auto grade , no , but I'm happy you were able to hit the great grades.

Ryan

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Alex

Great job ! The MZ's are tough cards and great grades. The Felix is a great card, do I agree w/ their auto grade , no , but I'm happy you were able to hit the great grades.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! I got a huge Mike Trout pull in a case break awhile back that funded the Zunino superfractor. The red refractor I purchased from Richard @pinetar during the National in 2013. He met me at the Natty and afterwards we hung out for a bit at my hotel and busted some wax where he pulled the Zunino red and was both a gentleman and a scholar for allowing me to purchase it from him. As close to pack pulling a PC card lol, but at least I got the thrill of seeing it pulled. As for the Felix auto, I was shocked it was a 9 during the RCR, but I will not complain. Hate the company, not the messenger haha!

Nice slabs, Alex! And... I'm glad the Felix got a 10 on the auto - but that smudge is glaring!

Thanks Adam! Yeah, I was expecting an 8 and was thrilled for a 9 on the RCR. I definitely won't complain but it will be fun hearing opinions on Beckett's grading. Glad it worked in my favor versus the other way around. The smudge is a fingerprint versus a smudge, I'm sure they are one in the same but I am happy to look at Felix's actual fingerprint versus a run of ink lol.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Nice job in the felix! Were you at the federal way shop on Saturday? I got in at the last minute with my Chipper Jones crusades. There was a table of guys near me who had a ton if stuff graded, wonder if you were among them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I seriously hate grading. That auto grade is a joke. Nice cards though, just don't need a slab to tell me so. But I understand why investment wise you'd do so.

Great cards! I think Zunino has a solid chance to turn things around considering he is the main project of Gar.

GC- I completely agree. From the limited I've seen w/ BGS, their auto grades and centering grades on non-bordered sets seem out of whack. Maybe just not my cup of tea.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Dude!! Congrats!! Those are some awesome PC cards

Thank you very much!

Amazing cards Alex!

Thanks a ton Andy! I'm glad Felix and Zunino aren't Brewers, it would be tough finding steals with you snagging them up :)

I seriously hate grading. That auto grade is a joke. Nice cards though, just don't need a slab to tell me so. But I understand why investment wise you'd do so.

Thanks Brad! Yeah it was all about the protection and investment. Beckett is a bit vague and loose in their definitions of auto grades. I can see it both ways with what is currently listed as a 10, "nearly" perfect isn't actually perfect and aesthetically-pleasing is how I view it haha:

A beautiful, boldly signed autograph that appears nearly perfect to the naked eye. Under normal viewing, it looks like an aesthetically- pleasing autograph.

Nice job in the felix! Were you at the federal way shop on Saturday? I got in at the last minute with my Chipper Jones crusades. There was a table of guys near me who had a ton if stuff graded, wonder if you were among them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Thanks dude! I actually dropped these off with the owner earlier in the week and he put them in line for me on Sunday morning. I had them shipped to the shop and Beckett never had tracking on it so I thought the shipment was lost for a moment (scary!). I heard there were 2 big collectors submitting tons of stuff. Nice job on the Crusades for you! Did you end up sending them in to get slabbed?

Great cards! I think Zunino has a solid chance to turn things around considering he is the main project of Gar.

GC- I completely agree. From the limited I've seen w/ BGS, their auto grades and centering grades on non-bordered sets seem out of whack. Maybe just not my cup of tea.

Thanks man! I have HUGE hopes and confidence in Zunino. If Edgar or any further coaches can help him strike out less and add a few walks and blooper hits that should raise his average up nicely. Luckily his defense is what keeps him in the game along with his home runs, but damn it is tough to see a great catcher with a current 9 homers hitting under .170.

Outstanding stuff, Alex!!

Thanks Dave! I saw you picked up some nice 69 Mets stuff recently too. Did you get a chance to show those off yet?

Thanks Barry! I hope you start finding more Capps Sweet Spot autos :)

Congrats Alex!

Much appreciated George!!!

Earning one of your famous memes! Thanks man!

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats, great looking piece.

Thanks so much Mac!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts