Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This is EXACTLYi why you use a snipe service!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
When you got that guy that just HAS to be top bidder.

This is a small example, but this happens on big dollar items too. It seems that nowadays, whenever I toss out a bid, I come back to find it outbid, nearly 100% of the time. If I didn't use a snipe service, I probably wouldn't collect anymore because I'd never win a damn thing!!

I am the yellow star bidder here. Within 5 minutes of my bid, he starts nibbling away. Maybe he just happened to see it or maybe he has alerts that let him know he was outbid. After several bids, he gives up, but comes back later like a rat to cheese and bids me back up until he is the winner. I set a snipe to try to win it after this. Thought with a sub $1 item, maybe a proxy would hold up, but nope!

We are talking less than a buck. Is it really worth the time for 10 cent increment bids? Maybe this guy needs this much more than I do.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Snipe or lose. JPG.png
    Snipe or lose. JPG.png
    75 KB · Views: 169

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
personally i never tip my had by bidding early and often , but i know a few local collectors who do just that....my partner has actually gone out of his way to teach them better bidding practices , but it has had no effect....

that said - just a thought regarding the 10-cent bid increments....many bidders (especially newbies) don't really think about placing a specific bid and simply use the one-click bid button.....often hitting it over ...and over...and over....some probably think it is a "rule" while other probably think it will let them get the item for less....ebay actually ENCOURAGES the use of the feature , but i figure it's for one simple reason - smaller increases mean more bids needed to become high bidder and the more bids an item has , the better it "looks" (more bids = more interest = even more bids later) even if that appearance is skewed....

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I always slap a low bid on items, so I get more push notifications on my phone. Then I go visit gixen with my actual bid, on the last day. I usually win the cards I go after.

Members online

Latest posts