Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blue Line Proof Sheets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
From the auction.... The actual blueline proof sheet used in the original production of 1988 Fleer Basebal Cards. This sheet was obtained from the original photographer who produced player photos and stats for Fleer Corp in the 1980's. You are bidding on a wax paper like heavy duty paper sheet containing six rows of eleven player card photo fronts. Once the photos were taken they were scanned on paper sheets and sent back to the photographer along with the card back sheets for verification of faces and statistics. Once this authentification process was complete, these sheets were returned to Fleer for final production of the actual cards. This particular sheet you are bidding on is the only one of its kind in existence. I've included a scan of a portion of the sheet. Some notable players on this proof sheet are: Bob Forsch, Dave Stieb, Greg Gagne,Fernando Vlaenzuela, Doyle Alexander, Ron Gant, Dave Smith, Mike Marshall, Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams, Ken Caminiti, Garry templeton, Ken Griffey Sr., and Jimmy Key.

One of the corrections on the sheet was changed on the final printing. Pretty neat. I still have yet to check all his notes to the final printing and see if any of his notes apply to error cards that were later corrected or UER. These are new to me and well worth the <$20 I spent.

This seller didn't get the 1989 Fleer sheets. Said the photographer he got these from, quit Fleer in '88. :(

He said they sold one with the Jordan RC for $2k. Unfortunately a pic was not saved.

Anyone own any ? Is the above auction info correct? The photographer would review the stats ?

He questions players position
ebaytoys1947.jpg

Players position incorrect
ebaytoys1944.jpg

Players position correct
1fc0_1.jpg

1988fleerproofsheet.jpg

bluelinesheet2.jpg

ebaytoys1945.jpg

ebaytoys1946.jpg

This sheet is not a Blue Line Proof Sheet. It is a 3x4' 1983 Fleer sheet that was issued to put stickers on. A ebay seller and others cut these up and sell as Proofs.

stickerposter83fleer.jpg

Not proofs- One of the 5 they have for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/83-Fleer-Star-S...ryZ60519QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1989 Fleer Proof FF sheet- Not mine- Hopefully someday.

DCP_2022-1.jpg

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
I dunno about the photographer being assigned the task of confirming names/stats, but this was back in the 80's, anything is possible.

EDIT: I should mention that the handwritten notations says in part, "...Copy Has..." That's likely a reference to the copywriters/designers. Which means it's a question someone raised that they felt Copy would be able to address.

Insofar as the blue line - yes, that's how it use to be done. <nodding>

A personal note - those things friggin' smell AWFUL. Have never seen a blue line that was kept for so long. EDIT: Not an issue of authenticity - just amazing to see one over 20 years old. They're photo-sensitive, meaning exposure to light will destroy them. Under the presumption that this is the actual blue line - someone went to a lot of trouble to preserve it.

They're throwaways from the printing process. Once approved they're kept for record keeping (cover ass) until publication - after that they're tossed; sometimes not even to publication. I've been on projects where changes were made and no record existed, causing a lot of friction between production house and print operations.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Thanks for the info. I appretiate it. So far, I've found out very little on these.

I was unaware of the light issue, Thanks !

Do you know why the paper is notched at the bottom?

ebaytoys1942.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The paper "punches" are no different than the "punches" that hold the printing plates on the press.

For printing you obviously have to have all four layers/colors line up dead-on...so these punches make sure that they are in line and stay in line.

Members online

Latest posts