Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Less Newspapers = Less BWAA Members - Impact on HOF Voting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
USA Today Article: Shrinking newsrooms put squeeze on MLB coverage

The article mainly covers the loss of 65 members bringing the total down to 725 members. That's a loss of 9% of the people who voted last year. This got me wondering if there will be any impact on the HOF vote this year. Will players like McGwire bounce up or down? What about other players on the cusp? I honestly have no idea but it is interesting to consider.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Interesting thought. I feel even with less members guys, like Mcgwire and Bonds still will not get in.
As for the players on the cusp they might ahve a better change, but I don't it too.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Pine Tar said:
Interesting thought. I feel even with less members guys, like Mcgwire and Bonds still will not get in.
As for the players on the cusp they might ahve a better change, but I don't it too.

My theory is that the people who are no longer members of the BWAA are the guys with less experience, guys that haven't seen players like Bert Blyleven play and aren't inclined to vote for them. Now, if enough people who weren't voting for a particular player are no longer members, there is a chance that some players will receive a bump and get inducted. Does that make sense?

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
ru4scuba said:
Pine Tar said:

My theory is that the people who are no longer members of the BWAA are the guys with less experience, guys that haven't seen players like Bert Blyleven play and aren't inclined to vote for them. Now, if enough people who weren't voting for a particular player are no longer members, there is a chance that some players will receive a bump and get inducted. Does that make sense?

Yes that does make sense to me, and for the sake of Bert Blyleven, I hope your theory is correct.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
MaineMule said:
Hmm...... how come only 539 votes cast last year...?

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofer ... ?year=2009

Was going to see what imact this would have as Blyleven had 338 votes or 62.7% ....????

Good point that I hadn't checked. Obviously, not all the members cast ballots last year and there is a good chance that the writers that dropped out were the ones that didn't cast ballots making the potential impact on the HOF vote not as great.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Anything that involves fewer dinosaurs espousing the virtues of Wins, RBI and "dealing with the media with class" can only be a good thing.

Their medium is dying and they have nobody to blame but themselves. Good riddance.

Members online

Latest posts