Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has any player ever hit for the "Homerun Cycle"???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
And by that I mean in one game they go:

*Solo Homerun
*2 Run Homerun
*3 Run Homerun
*Grand Slam

Has it ever happened??
If not, will it ever happen??
If so, will it happen again and if so...by whom??

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
Didnt Arod do it or come close to it a few years back?
You'd have to hit four HRs in a game in order to do it which is a feat with in itself. I'm almost certain a-rod has not even done that.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
No, it's never happened.
Only 15 players have ever hit four homers in a game:

May 30, 1894 Bobby Lowe
July 13, 1896 Ed Delahanty
June 3, 1932 Lou Gehrig
July 10, 1936 Chuck Klein
July 18, 1948 Pat Seerey
August 31, 1950 Gil Hodges
July 31, 1954 Joe Adcock
June 10, 1959 Rocky Colavito
April 30, 1961 Willie Mays
April 17, 1976 Mike Schmidt
July 6, 1986 Bob Horner
September 7, 1993 Mark Whiten
May 2, 2002 Mike Cameron
May 23, 2002 Shawn Green
September 25, 2003 Carlos Delgado

And here are some interesting facts about the four-homer hitters:

Lowe, Gehrig, Colavito, Schmidt, Cameron and Delgado hit their four home runs in consecutive at bats.

Lowe only had 71 home runs over 18 years in the big leagues. Seerey only had 86 home runs in seven seasons. Delahanty had four home runs in one game in 1896 and only nine for the rest of that season.

Klein, Seerey and Schmidt needed extra innings to get four home runs.

Delahanty's home runs were either all inside-the-park, or two of each (accounts vary, but in any case, he is the only one that had any inside-the-park home runs as part of a four-home-run game).

Gehrig hit a deep fly in his final at-bat that narrowly missed being a fifth home run.

Adcock hit a double off the top of the wall in his second at bat that also narrowly missed being a fifth home run. His 18 total bases for a 9-inning game was a major league record until Shawn Green broke it during his 4-homer game.

Horner's and Delahanty's home runs came in losing efforts.

Whiten's home runs drove in 12 runs, which also tied him for the major league record for most RBIs in a game. His feat came in the second game of a doubleheader. Whiten was 0-4 in the first game but drove in the go-ahead run with a bases-loaded walk in the eight inning. His 13 RBI for the day is a MLB record for a doubleheader.

All four of Cameron's home runs were solo shots, and all were hit before the sixth inning.

Green also doubled and singled, going 6-for-6 and setting a single-game record of 19 total bases.

Cameron and Green are the only pair of players to hit four homeruns in a single game each in the same year, and only three weeks apart.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Austin said:
No, it's never happened.
Only 15 players have ever hit four homers in a game:

May 30, 1894 Bobby Lowe
July 13, 1896 Ed Delahanty
June 3, 1932 Lou Gehrig
July 10, 1936 Chuck Klein
July 18, 1948 Pat Seerey
August 31, 1950 Gil Hodges
July 31, 1954 Joe Adcock
June 10, 1959 Rocky Colavito
April 30, 1961 Willie Mays
April 17, 1976 Mike Schmidt
July 6, 1986 Bob Horner
September 7, 1993 Mark Whiten
May 2, 2002 Mike Cameron
May 23, 2002 Shawn Green
September 25, 2003 Carlos Delgado

And here are some interesting facts about the four-homer hitters:

Lowe, Gehrig, Colavito, Schmidt, Cameron and Delgado hit their four home runs in consecutive at bats.

Lowe only had 71 home runs over 18 years in the big leagues. Seerey only had 86 home runs in seven seasons. Delahanty had four home runs in one game in 1896 and only nine for the rest of that season.

Klein, Seerey and Schmidt needed extra innings to get four home runs.

Delahanty's home runs were either all inside-the-park, or two of each (accounts vary, but in any case, he is the only one that had any inside-the-park home runs as part of a four-home-run game).

Gehrig hit a deep fly in his final at-bat that narrowly missed being a fifth home run.

Adcock hit a double off the top of the wall in his second at bat that also narrowly missed being a fifth home run. His 18 total bases for a 9-inning game was a major league record until Shawn Green broke it during his 4-homer game.

Horner's and Delahanty's home runs came in losing efforts.

Whiten's home runs drove in 12 runs, which also tied him for the major league record for most RBIs in a game. His feat came in the second game of a doubleheader. Whiten was 0-4 in the first game but drove in the go-ahead run with a bases-loaded walk in the eight inning. His 13 RBI for the day is a MLB record for a doubleheader.

All four of Cameron's home runs were solo shots, and all were hit before the sixth inning.

Green also doubled and singled, going 6-for-6 and setting a single-game record of 19 total bases.

Cameron and Green are the only pair of players to hit four homeruns in a single game each in the same year, and only three weeks apart.
Very informational, thanks! Delehanty was an amazing hitter...

Do you think the homerun cycle will ever happen??

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
I think Ian Kinsler could do it... :D, just kidding...It would be more of luck that the guys were on base when they came up than actually hitting them, I think it can happen, it'll just be humungous luck to get the runners on at the same time they hit a HR...May not be for 100 years but it probably will.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Reds in 2009 said:
It will never happen.
You can't say that for sure; you never know lol.
I was going to say it probably would never happen, but I think within the next 100 years someone will do it based on some of the stats provided in the wikipedia article linked above.

JG

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Reds in 2009 said:
It will never happen.
I would think it's equivilent to say...a 27 strikeout performance.

They are both possible, but the odds are extremely slim.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
scotty21690 said:
Do you think the homerun cycle will ever happen??
I think it could happen, but as Aw00d05 wrote, it would take tremendous luck to have the correct number of teammates on base when each home run was hit.
It's bound to happen someday though.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
scotty21690 said:
Reds in 2009 said:
It will never happen.

I'd say 27 strikeout is less likely than this, that would be AMAZING though to watch...Even though they would probably have to give up 10 runs to do it.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
It could happen and if the game of baseball went on forever then I think it would eventually happen. Odds are it won't happen any time soon.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
That would be sooooo hard to accomplish. It's not just up to you, but your teammates as well. Plus the luck of coming to the plate with the right amount of guys on base each time. That would be extremely hard to have happen. I bet having the chance to even do it hasn't happened many times. As in coming up to bat with no one on, 1 on, 2 on, and 3 on. That's rare in itself.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
aw00d05 said:
scotty21690 said:
Reds in 2009 said:
It will never happen.

I'd say 27 strikeout is less likely than this, that would be AMAZING though to watch...Even though they would probably have to give up 10 runs to do it.
I believe it has happened in the minor leagues once. Would be pretty cool to see....I guess we will have to wait until Strasburg gets called up to the bigs to see it happen. ;)

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
scotty21690 said:
aw00d05 said:
scotty21690 said:
Reds in 2009 said:
It will never happen.

I believe it has happened in the minor leagues once. Would be pretty cool to see....I guess we will have to wait until Strasburg gets called up to the bigs to see it happen. ;)
Or LaPorta?

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Gehrig and Cameron came close to 5 each. Gehrig was robbed of his fifth by Al Simmons at the centerfield fence and Cameron hit a shot to the warning track.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
scotty21690 said:
aw00d05 said:
scotty21690 said:
Reds in 2009 said:
It will never happen.

I believe it has happened in the minor leagues once. Would be pretty cool to see....I guess we will have to wait until LaPorta gets called up to the bigs to see it happen. ;)
Fixed ;)

Members online

Latest posts