Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Profile: Randy Bass (You Want To Read This One)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Isn't there a Tom Sellick movie very similar to this? I know I've seen a baseball movie with a large-mustached man almost identical to this story.

Good read again - great way to kick my day off.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Card Magnet said:
Isn't there a Tom Sellick movie very similar to this? I know I've seen a baseball movie with a large-mustached man almost identical to this story.

You're thinking of Mr. Baseball. Great movie but that was about a pitcher. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Therion said:
Card Magnet said:

You're thinking of Mr. Baseball. Great movie but that was about a pitcher. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr. Baseball is the one I was thinking of. I thought it was about the guy going to the Japanese league and coming close to breaking the existing home run record his new coach held.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Do you know how many times he was intentionally walked at the end of the season he almost broke the record?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
17ROCKIES12 said:
Do you know how many times he was intentionally walked at the end of the season he almost broke the record?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what I read, he was walked twelve times. The last team they faced that year was the same team the record holder had played for. They didn't want to lose the title. Kinda crappy but not unheard of.

Craig - 21hawk

Aug 7, 2008
St. Paul, MN
Therion said:
Maybe I'm remembering Mr. Baseball incorrectly LOL It has been almost a decade since I saw it.

I believe you are indeed misrembering. Almost positive he was a slugger. I seem to remember a scene when he learns that if a pitcher tips his hat to you after he hits you it means it was an accident. Then when he is approaching the record he gets beaned and starts yelling at the pitcher to tip his hat. He won't, so it's on.

Craig

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Therion said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what I read, he was walked twelve times. The last team they faced that year was the same team the record holder had played for. They didn't want to lose the title. Kinda crappy but not unheard of.
Wow. I can't imagine that happening in the US.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
1955_35.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Therion said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

He might have been walked so a gaijin didn't own the record in Japanese Baseball???

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
BunchOBull said:
Therion said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

He might have been walked so a gaijin didn't own the record in Japanese Baseball???

The record holder isn't Japanese.

EDIT: I'm purposely not saying who holds the record because he will be tomorrow's Player Profile.

Members online

Latest posts