Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My predictions for All-Stars NL and AL...for now...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I love trying to predict the All-Stars every year. It is difficult b/c you have to factor in blossomed seasons (a la Ludwick last year) and who the fans/players love to vote in even though they suck (a la Varitek).

Right now I'm going to predict the starters and reserves. You should know, obviously, that my predictions for starters are based solely on popularity.

NL

C - Brian McCann - I don't see Yadier or Kendall taking the torch here. McCann will edge out Russ Martin in the long run.
1B - Albert Pujols - No explanation needed.
2B - Chase Utley - See above.
SS - Hanley Ramirez - Too many people know about him now to not be elected to start.
3B - David Wright - I ALMOST went with Zimmerman here b/c of his hot start but as of now, it's too early for him to overcome D-Wright's popularity. If he stays smokin' hot, it is a possibility. I've voted for him at least 10 times.
OF - Ryan Braun - Will be NL OF vote leader
OF - Carlos Beltran - Always a favorite.
OF - Raul Ibanez - this is just a dumb ole gamble right here. Manny won't crack the top three now. Soriano is doing rather well but Ibanez is just SCORCHING hot and he's in the top 6 right now. I see Philly fans and respectable baseball fans pushing him into the top 3. I WILL be wrong if he cools off though.
SP - Johan Santana - I think it is clear who starts for the NL and AL this year.

RESERVES:

C - Ivan Rodriguez - My gut just says he'll be the backup b/c of his history with MLB. Yadier MIGHT make it if they take a third.
1B - Joey Votto - Representing Cincy with the RP listed below.
1B - Adrian Gonzalez - Duh.
2B - Freddy Sanchez - Pittsburgh's lonely rep.
2B - Orlando Hudson - Usually there is an additional SS than 2B but I don't see any SS holding the fort besides Guzman but Zimmerman will be Nationals rep. Hudson gets the nod here.
SS - Yunel Escobar - Yep. You heard it. Even with my prediction for McCann to start I think he gets the reserve spot. I don't see Tejada making it. It is possible Charlie rewards the Nationals for their stellar offense and gives Guzman THE spot or an additional spot here. But remember - the Nationals BLOW.
3B - Ryan Zimmerman - should start and won't. Other players will respect him here.
OF - Brad Hawpe - Lone Rockies rep.
OF - Justin Upton - He's hot.
OF - Hunter Pence - Average may carry him over if he stays above .333 and I think he will.
OF - Alfonso Soriano - Still makes it besides my courage to not predict him as a starter.
OF - Jayson Werth - Don't forget Charlie is the NL manager and I think Jayson improves his .255 AVG to nudge himself in as the "what the hell?" pick.

SP - Chad Billingsley - Struggled as of late but I still think he gets in.
SP - Dan Haren - See above just add a couple more wins.
SP - Tim Lincecum - Might seem like a DUH! But I think he gets nod over Cain who doesn't stay strong...
SP - Javier Vazquez - Don't laugh. With a few more wins he'll be in.
SP - Jake Peavy - Yup. Guy is on fire right now.
SP - Adam Wainright - The fact it is played in STL gives him the edge - PLUS he's my pick for the FINAL FAN VOTE
SP - Wandy Rodriguez - If anyone gets snubbed it'll be him. B/c the Astros blow and I already predicted two to make the team. If he gets another 2 wins with quality starts...he'll be here. So for now, he's here.
RP - Jonathan Broxton - who is going argue this?
RP - Trevor Hoffman - See ABOVE!
RP - Heath Bell - Padres with THREE reps? Pssssshhttt....
RP - Francisco Cordero - Can't deny him.

On to the AMERICAN LEAGUE:

C - Joe Mauer - In April I say Victor. No way Joe doesn't get the fan votes now.
1B - Miguel Cabrera - I say Miggy is popular enough player combined with his scorching start to get it.
2B - Dustin Pedroia - ****in' Red Sox. At least he has a great average. My vote goes to Kinsler.
SS - Derek Jeter - ****in' Yankees. My vote goes to Bartlett despite his DL stint.
3B - Evan Longoria - Arod, meet the new king; you don't make it this year, HAH!
OF - Grady Sizemore - He sucks so far. But he still gets it.
OF - Ichiro Suzuki - Duh. And Seattle's only rep...ONCE AGAIN
OF - Jason Bay - This is just pure guessing right here. It COULD be Josh Hamilton even though he hasn't done much this year. Boston + hot start = AS start? He's either a starter or reserve.
SP - Zack Greinke - I WAS considering Brad Bergensen here...but Greinke gets the nod.

C - Victor Martinez - He'd start in the NL for sure.
C - Kurt Suzuki - Maddon seems like a guy that wants three catchers. I think Suzuki is the lone A's rep.
1B - Justin Morneau - Maddon hates the Yankees!
2B - Ian Kinsler - No way this guy doesn't make it.
2B - Aaron Hill - SEE ABOVE!
SS - Jason Bartlett - SEE ABOVE + Maddon!
3B - Michael Young - hitting the cover off the ball...
OF - Adam Jones - DUH
OF - Nick Markakis - He's been mired in a slump but I say he finishes strong to the break for the players to vote him in. Could be the homer in me...
OF - Carl Crawford - Maddon, nuff said. 30/30 as of right now helps.
OF - Torii Hunter - Has done well in Vlad's absence.
OF - Jermaine Dye - It's beteween him and Damon right now. I give it to Dye. Someone could just light it up in the AL (Nelson Cruz?) and take over though.

SP - Roy Halladay - No explanation.
SP - Mark Buehrle - He's here regardless. ESPECIALLY if Dye doesn't make it.
SP - Justin Verlander - The hottest pitcher right now not named Santana or Greinke.
SP - CC Sabathia - The only thing holding him back right now is the wins. I say he gets at least 3 more the way the Yankees are playing.
SP - Kevin Slowely - This is a tough one. 7-1 W-L record. 44 K's...5 BB's!!! yet...4.11 ERA. I'm going to go on a limb and say he has 9 victories with an ERA under 4 and gets the nod - GETS IN BY FAN VOTE!
SP - Jered Weaver - Hard to deny this guy. He needs AT LEAST 3 more wins/quality starts to get there and I say he does it.
RP - Jonathan Papelbon - Blown a few but still is second in saves with 2.57 ERA. He's in.
RP - Frank Francisco - Will have to have a complete meltdown not to make it.
RP - Mariano Rivera - Respect.
RP - Joe Nathan - Consistent.
RP - Brain Fuentes - ERA IS high...but it will go down as he gets more saves.

LETS DISCUSS!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
eeek...no way man. only way he gets to the all-star game this year is by starting.

the only way he can make a reserve is by A). players - who won't. B). the manager Charlie Manuel - who DEFINITELY won't or C). Final Fan vote and i don't see him even being nominated.

He's out this year for sure....

EDIT: Ironic too b/c your sig is pretty much bankable :lol:

Big Mac McGwire said:
Manny Ramirez will make it as a reserve in the NL. You can take that to the bank

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
yup! he's on the roster for sure! im crossing my fingers for a start...but it's def an uphill battle :?

EricInCT said:
Adam Jones is a lock.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I definitely don't see Prince putting up numbers to pass Adrian Gonzalez or Joey Votto (especially with the possibility that Votto might be the only CIN rep if Cordero doesn't go).

Yovani is def an option but I don't see him making it this year with the other strong candidates.

sheetskout said:
I wouldn't count out Prince Fielder or especially Yovani Gallardo.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
everything looks perfect on that list, but dont under estimate the number of people that will vote for AROD even with the steroids and late start

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
totally agree with you.

BUT i think Longoria's hot start in the MLB and the hobby with dethrone Mr. ARoid. Just a hunch.

KOBEARODLT said:
everything looks perfect on that list, but dont under estimate the number of people that will vote for AROD even with the steroids and late start

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
and your debate is....

im interested...

pujolsjunkie said:
No way that Tex isn't voted in. No way. Cabrera and Morneau both make it as reserves.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
markakis8 said:
and your debate is....

im interested...

pujolsjunkie said:
No way that Tex isn't voted in. No way. Cabrera and Morneau both make it as reserves.

Most well-known of the three, plays in the biggest market, gets more exposure, which will equal more votes. You don't have to be the best player to get voted in. Far from it.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:
markakis8 said:
and your debate is....

im interested...

pujolsjunkie said:

Most well-known of the three, plays in the biggest market, gets more exposure, which will equal more votes. You don't have to be the best player to get voted in. Far from it.

most well known no way, thats miggy and im sorry but miguel is hitting 374..best in the MLB..only 5 hr's behind tex, and 2 rbis behind tex..but as stated before his avg is almost 100 points higher

also the first place tigers have to at least have one starter

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
KOBEARODLT said:
pujolsjunkie said:
markakis8 said:
and your debate is....

im interested...

pujolsjunkie said:

most well known no way, thats miggy and im sorry but miguel is hitting 374..best in the MLB..only 5 hr's behind tex, and 2 rbis behind tex..but as stated before his avg is almost 100 points higher

...first place today. There's no telling where they'll be in two months. Note that I said he'll be on the team. No way around it. I'm just saying Tex will get voted in by the fans, who make notoriously stupid decisions regarding the selection process.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:
KOBEARODLT said:
pujolsjunkie said:
markakis8 said:
and your debate is....

im interested...

pujolsjunkie said:

...first place today. There's no telling where they'll be in two months. Note that I said he'll be on the team. No way around it. I'm just saying Tex will get voted in by the fans, who make notoriously stupid decisions regarding the selection process.

the title says all star predictions....FOR NOW, there for tigers are in first and i think your under estimating the fans that miguel has not only from the tigers fan base.

but i agree fans are stupid, jsut like this year in basketball iverson got named started to the all star team and he did nothing the whole year ::facepalm::

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I don't see Tex starting for a couple reasons:

Many fans are angry with him for his decision to play in NY - including BOSTON fans. His horrid start (even though he's on fire now) doesn't help either.

The New York fan base is not big enough to overcome Boston, Baltimore, Washington fans NOT voting for him and with Miggy just scorching right now, I say he comes out on top.

KOBEARODLT said:
pujolsjunkie said:
the title says all star predictions....FOR NOW, there for tigers are in first and i think your under estimating the fans that miguel has not only from the tigers fan base.

but i agree fans are stupid, jsut like this year in basketball iverson got named started to the all star team and he did nothing the whole year ::facepalm::

Members online

Latest posts