Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What happens to cards when the redemptions expire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
I am very curious. The player i collect made has his nicest cards in 2007 Bowman Chrome. When the boxes came out, his autos were through redemption. I dont know about all of them, but i know most if not all were by redemption. His redemptions expire in a few months, but i know there are some that have not been pulled and/or redeemed.

My question is what happens to his cards once the expiration date comes? I am curious and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope my grammer is correct.
BOLT1gBmkKGrHgoOKkUEjlLmTeZqBJtWWsW.jpg

not my scan

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
thefasterblade said:
I wonder if his super is sitting there as a Redemption.

I wonder the same thing. I own the only three reds that have ever popped up. The super is also still missing. I could see the base autos being replacemtns or something, but what about the higher end

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Back when I owned my card shop Topps would have workshops in various areas and they would bring alot of the top guys in their organization for dealer Q and A. I asked the question as to what happens to the cards that are not redeemed and I was told that they were destroyed. When asked why they would not put a promotion together to give these cards to loyal customers we were told that it would ruin the integrity of the cards that were redeemed. I understand their point of view but it would be terrible to have quality cards destroyed.

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
mchenrycards said:
Back when I owned my card shop Topps would have workshops in various areas and they would bring alot of the top guys in their organization for dealer Q and A. I asked the question as to what happens to the cards that are not redeemed and I was told that they were destroyed. When asked why they would not put a promotion together to give these cards to loyal customers we were told that it would ruin the integrity of the cards that were redeemed. I understand their point of view but it would be terrible to have quality cards destroyed.

that is very interesting. i didnt know that. thanks for the advice

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
MOFNY said:
Adamsince1981 said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":1s41fbmt]I heard once that all cards not redeemed are destroyed.

I'm sure you are joking, but if not this is incorrect.
Actually when they did the redemption for 2001 Elite RCs /1000 not all were redeemed. The rest were destroyed.

Yeah this is what I was thinking of.[/quote:1s41fbmt]

that is horrible. i wish there was soeone to contact about this. even if i couldnt convince them to keep them around, at least a list of what is destroyed would be nice

plainwhitejerseys

May 20, 2009
They don't destroy anything.

At UD, the un-redeemed cards are re-inserted into later products as "buybacks" or used as "equal value" replacements for redemptions that are worth far more.

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
plainwhitejerseys said:
They don't destroy anything.

At UD, the un-redeemed cards are re-inserted into later products as "buybacks" or used as "equal value" replacements for redemptions that are worth far more.
Cool, what about Topps though? Bowman is a product of Topps.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I'm pretty sure all the 2001 bowman chrome Pujols rookies were "destroyed" (salvaged). Of course, some (most) accidentally missed the disintegrator, and ended up falling into Sy Berger's great grandson's pokemon card collection, mysteriously housed in topps uncirculated holders. He currently uses those as cupholders.

Members online

Latest posts