Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How to sell large lots of Chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I have 3 decent sized lots on eBay right now with a BIN/BO and aren't getting much attention. I figure either my BIN's may be too high and people are too scared to offer a BO or I am just not getting enough hits for people to see them...or no one wants that much chrome.

So...what should I do? Should I break the cards down into teams and if so, should it be current teams or teams listed on the cards? I really don't want to break down by player as the quantities can go from 1 to 20 for each card.

I just want to cut down on shipping, it would be nice to only have to ship 3 boxes, but if I can drum up some interest by splitting them into teams, I wouldn't mind shipping that way. Much better than having to ship over 1000 packages.

Anyone have any ideas?

mazarazz

Aug 7, 2008
Realistically what are you looking to get/what do you have in them? The lots to me look like picked over/over priced left overs from breaks. For convenience sake I'd list them all at auction and let them run. The time and the hassle of reorganizing and regrouping wouldn't be worth it to me. I'd be happy I was able to get something at auction and be glad I only have to ship 3 packages.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
mazarazz said:
Realistically what are you looking to get/what do you have in them? The lots to me look like picked over/over priced left overs from breaks. For convenience sake I'd list them all at auction and let them run. The time and the hassle of reorganizing and regrouping wouldn't be worth it to me. I'd be happy I was able to get something at auction and be glad I only have to ship 3 packages.

Realistically I could deal with $500 total for the 3 lots. 4100 total cards which would come out to .12 per card on average. My original idea was to obtain a ton of chrome cards and pay attention to call-ups and minor league stat explosions and sell them off in player lots, however I just no longer have the interest or time to keep up with that so I just want to get rid of them, but don't really feel like giving them away because there can be a lot of value essentially with certain players.

I thought about just letting them run auction style, the thing that scares me a bit is I just haven't had many views on the BIN side of things. I realize I will get more views on the straight auction side. I thought about running straight auction and setting up a reserve price cause I would hate to sell at lot of 2000 cards for only $50 if I include free shipping. I think however the reserve prices scare people away.

Anyone have any thoughts on setting reserves and running auction style?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Your 'Buy It Now' price is set at roughly 50% of Beckett and to me that clearly implies that you are looking way to high for the lot.

If I could sell my entire collection for 10% of Beckett, I would do it in a heartbeat.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Your 'Buy It Now' price is set at roughly 50% of Beckett and to me that clearly implies that you are looking way to high for the lot.

If I could sell my entire collection for 10% of Beckett, I would do it in a heartbeat.

That is true, I did set them rather high, I just wanted to see how many views I received. Do you think if I lowered the BIN's they may get more views? BV doesn't mean much these days and I know that, I basically wanted to give people an idea of the value per say.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
prospectorgems said:
AKA Coastal said:

From my understanding of ThePit, you can only dump certain players? I will have to research that more and see what I can do.

Yeah, I never quite understood ThePit. I have players in larger quantities of Michael Saunders and Brett Cecil and a few other mid-line prospects and they aren't listed on there. I think it would be more of a pain to search every player to see if they are on there. And obviously sportlots is a no-go for my situation.

I think I will just try lowering the BINS for now on ebay and see if I get any hits at all.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
prospectorgems said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

That is true, I did set them rather high, I just wanted to see how many views I received. Do you think if I lowered the BIN's they may get more views? BV doesn't mean much these days and I know that, I basically wanted to give people an idea of the value per say.
I think most people that would take a chance on that lot know that Beckett value isn't close to "value." So for me, I believe that the mention of the Beckett value is a turn off, especially when the BIN is 50% of Beckett.

So understand that the market for these lots is slim, and the potential buyer will be buying a lot of "junk" plus some decent cards...and it should be priced that way.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I appreciate the insight on these lots. What does everyone think of setting reserves? Do you think that will kill some interest as well?

Either that or I could create auctions that only include some of the better prospects by years and then dump the rest for next to nothing in huge lot.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
prospectorgems said:
I appreciate the insight on these lots. What does everyone think of setting reserves? Do you think that will kill some interest as well?

Either that or I could create auctions that only include some of the better prospects by years and then dump the rest for next to nothing in huge lot.
I have never bid on an eBay auction with a reserve. Not once.

Also in listing any bulk lots, whether it's all star prospects, all junk prospects or mixed...you'll get the same viewers probably for all three. Personally, I have no problem buying mixed bulk lots, but I obviously need to be able to price the "junk" extremely low as I'll probably never move it.

For example, if I'm willing to pay 30% for star prospects, I'm not paying even close to that for junk prospects as it guarantees no potential profit down the road. So basically, 10% of those auctions will probably be 80% of the value.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
200lbhockeyplayer said:
prospectorgems said:

I have never bid on an eBay auction with a reserve. Not once.

Also in listing any bulk lots, whether it's all star prospects, all junk prospects or mixed...you'll get the same viewers probably for all three. Personally, I have no problem buying mixed bulk lots, but I obviously need to be able to price the "junk" extremely low as I'll probably never move it.

For example, if I'm willing to pay 30% for star prospects, I'm not paying even close to that for junk prospects as it guarantees no potential profit down the road. So basically, 10% of those auctions will probably be 80% of the value.

I totally agree with you. It is what it is and if they sell for lower amounts, so be it. I also hate reserve auctions, was just wondering what everyone else though and getting your thoughts pretty much sums it up for me as well. I guess if anything, I will just pony up the extra .40 or whatever and list it for 10 days, that will at least give it the amount of exposure on eBay. I guess better than nothing. Thanks everyone for the comments and tips.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
For 5-20 ct player lots, list separately or dump on the pit- breakdown by year/set
For 1-4 ct player lots, group w/other chromes + list as 1 large chrome lot or dump on thepit. Ideally, you’ll have @ least a few ‘star’ guys in there. breakdown by year/set
Reserves/high bins turn buyers off imo

mgsherm

Aug 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
I have tried the same thing several times. I have about 3600 random BC and BCDP from 03-08 and started them as low as $300 for the lot without any bids. I think that I will eventually just break into team lots and start the as .99 cent auctions. That is when I have time to team sort 3600 cards though. Good luck in moving yours!!

Members online

Latest posts