Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alex Rodriguez - the $33 Million Dollar Man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Out of curiousity, I just looked up the Alex Rodriguez after seeing all of the fairly meaningless "passes Reggie Jackson" hype on ESPN and noticed that this is the season that Alex Rodriguez makes $33 million.

So this is the peak year of his insane contract before he drops to $27 million next season.

Suffice to say, everyone expected a lot from Rodriguez this season but after dealing with the book, the divorce, the positive test, the media circus...I'm thinking this $33 million isn't looking like "value" so far this season.

Clearly he's turning it around, but a .227 average at the end of June isn't typically what you expect from him.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Until baseball turns to a salary cap (which probably will never happen) I can care less who makes what. I stopped going to games because of the ridiculous costs involved. I watch them free on cable. If they wanna pay luxury taxes fine by me. Why folks get the draws in a twist is beyond me. IMO 99% of the players are overpaid.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I guess for me, everyone made a big deal of how outrageous $25 million per season is...but $33 is nauseating to me.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Out of curiousity, I just looked up the Alex Rodriguez after seeing all of the fairly meaningless "passes Reggie Jackson" hype on ESPN and noticed that this is the season that Alex Rodriguez makes $33 million.

So this is the peak year of his insane contract before he drops to $27 million next season.

Suffice to say, everyone expected a lot from Rodriguez this season but after dealing with the book, the divorce, the positive test, the media circus...I'm thinking this $33 million isn't looking like "value" so far this season.

Clearly he's turning it around, but a .227 average at the end of June isn't typically what you expect from him.

as i personally must say no one deserves 33 million dollars in a year, who in the world would turn it down?

....and in defense of his 227 average he just came off hip surgery for godsake

autocut

Erich said:
Nobody is worth 30 Mil imo. Even if somebody was hitting 500 AVG and dinged 40 HR by now your not worth 30 Mil.

That all depends. It's not just what they do. It's also goes on if they can help sell out a stadium, receive a high volume of sales on their "licensed" jerseys, etc. I know AROD has generated more than $30 million for the Yankees other than just playing each game.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
jcmint said:
Until baseball turns to a salary cap (which probably will never happen) I can care less who makes what. I stopped going to games because of the ridiculous costs involved. I watch them free on cable. If they wanna pay luxury taxes fine by me. Why folks get the draws in a twist is beyond me. IMO 99% of the players are overpaid.

Oh...a a salary cap can and will eventually happen.When less and less fans start going to games because of belts tightening all over the country the owners are going to cry to the MLBPA and Union that they are not making enough money and they need to implement a ceiling on these players.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Erich said:
Nobody is worth 30 Mil imo. Even if somebody was hitting 500 AVG and dinged 40 HR by now your not worth 30 Mil.

Players are worth whatever owners are willing to pay them.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
Erich said:

Wrong.Nobody else would pay A-Rod that money.Why?Because nobody else could afford to.Its the reason he axed Boras and decided to work his own deal.One thing that I think people always forget is just because one person will pay a certain amount for something, does not mean its worth that amount.Now if you had 2 or 3 other teams offering him that kind of money...then you'd have something.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
predatorkj said:
kdailey4315 said:
Erich said:

Wrong.Nobody else would pay A-Rod that money.Why?Because nobody else could afford to.Its the reason he axed Boras and decided to work his own deal.One thing that I think people always forget is just because one person will pay a certain amount for something, does not mean its worth that amount.Now if you had 2 or 3 other teams offering him that kind of money...then you'd have something.

The Yankees were WILLING to pay AROD that much money so like it or not that's how much he's worth. It's no different than cards. Rarely do cards sell for what Beckett says they are worth. Cards are worth whatever they sell for.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
predatorkj said:
kdailey4315 said:
Erich said:

The Yankees were WILLING to pay AROD that much money so like it or not that's how much he's worth. It's no different than cards. Rarely do cards sell for what Beckett says they are worth. Cards are worth whatever they sell for.

Oh really?You sure about that?I am not too sure I could sell my Bagwells to you at the prices I paid.But if I can...let me know.I could use the cash and the brownie points with the wife.

I don't like it or dislike it.I think its a lot more money than any one man would ever need for any intents or purposes(unless they were single handedly trying to stop world hunger)but whatever.Just because one person pays so much for something doesn't mean its worth that much.Now if it(or in this case he) goes for that much regularly...then you have a point.

As for cards would you pay over a $100 for a random players autograph or 1/1 card?Not always I'll bet.You wouldn't be willing to pay over $5 for a Lastings Milledge auto while you might pay $100 for a Hank Aaron auto.It depends on your taste.But the main point is you are not going to find too many people willing to pay that much for a Milledge auto while the prices for an Aaron auto are universally better.So...there for I think its safe to say an Aaron auto is worth more than a Milledge auto.Not because there is nobody out there who will pay a lot of money for one.After all, there very well may be someone out there who is the Milledge super collector.But normally no there aren't many if any people out there willing to fork over that kind of cash for one.Whereas there are gobs of people who would shell out the cash for the Aaron auto on a consistent basis.So if someone does pay $100 for a Milledge auto, its the exception not the rule.

You can't make up the value of something based on what you paid for it.Especially if what you paid is light years away from what somebody else would or does normally pay.The Yankees can pay out the ass for whatever players they want but the player should be mindful that once the yankees don't want them there are few, if any, markets that will pay them that much.The Yankees are like Wossamattau.They have the money so they get what they want.Whether anyone else would pay that kind of money is an unanswered question.

Wes

OG
Administrator
One thing that amazes me about people complaining about players salaries is that nobody complains about how much money the owners make from these teams. Their profits DWARF any player - Arod included. Is the money crazy for playing a game? Sure. But it's no different than a movie star getting $20 mill for a movie he can film in three months. Entertainers get crazy cash because we're willing to go and see them.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
One thing that amazes me about people complaining about players salaries is that nobody complains about how much money the owners make from these teams. Their profits DWARF any player - Arod included. Is the money crazy for playing a game? Sure. But it's no different than a movie star getting $20 mill for a movie he can film in three months. Entertainers get crazy cash because we're willing to go and see them.

Yeah but they could be cheaper.Those guys don't need to be paid that much.I am all about getting paid but I also feel like your work should dictate what you get paid.In my mind a cop or a nurse or a fireman should be making a lot more money than a baseball player.Should they be making millions a year?No.But there is no way a baseball player should be making more than somebody that will pull your butt out of a burning building.

As for the owners...they should be making some serious cash but honestly...do they really need to charge as much as they do for a game?I mean...they sell 32,000 tickets at Minute maid all the time.Even if they were all only $10 a pop they'd make at least $320,000 a game and if they played only half their games at home they'd make $25,920,000 a year.Say all the tickets were a little closer to $15 a piece or so and it was first come first serve, they'd be just fine.And if baseball players were making a comfortable $100,000-$200,000 a year(which should be a decent salary no matter where you live) the owners would still be rich, make plenty of money to keep their franchise going(concessions and team related sells such as jersey's and caps and whatnot) and pay the bills.

Things just are the way they are because they figure if people pay it then why back down on the money you want?And people wonder why the economy is the way it is.

Wes

OG
Administrator
predatorkj said:
LLWesMan said:

Yeah but they could be cheaper.Those guys don't need to be paid that much.I am all about getting paid but I also feel like your work should dictate what you get paid.In my mind a cop or a nurse or a fireman should be making a lot more money than a baseball player.Should they be making millions a year?No.But there is no way a baseball player should be making more than somebody that will pull your butt out of a burning building.

As for the owners...they should be making some serious cash but honestly...do they really need to charge as much as they do for a game?I mean...they sell 32,000 tickets at Minute maid all the time.Even if they were all only $10 a pop they'd make at least $320,000 a game and if they played only half their games at home they'd make $25,920,000 a year.Say all the tickets were a little closer to $15 a piece or so and it was first come first serve, they'd be just fine.And if baseball players were making a comfortable $100,000-$200,000 a year(which should be a decent salary no matter where you live) the owners would still be rich, make plenty of money to keep their franchise going(concessions and team related sells such as jersey's and caps and whatnot) and pay the bills.

Things just are the way they are because they figure if people pay it then why back down on the money you want?And people wonder why the economy is the way it is.

Capitalism.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
predatorkj said:
LLWesMan said:

Capitalism.

A blessing and a curse.

Wes

OG
Administrator
predatorkj said:
LLWesMan said:
predatorkj said:
LLWesMan said:

Capitalism.

A blessing and a curse.

100% agree.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
KOBEARODLT said:
2 run homer for arod in the seventh of a tie game....this guy sucks lol
Yes, because clearly everyone believes he "sucks."

Nonetheless, thanks for bumping this...made sense.

Members online

Latest posts