Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upton vs. the AZ Fans

Was Upton's Gesture Appropriate?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
NECpilgrims8 said:
I won't vote because it just feeds the machine that is the media.

This story is so stupid and the media is seriously reaching.

Aren't the votes that are cast here anonymous?

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
So all he did was fake throwing the ball into the stands? Not really a big deal, but I understand where the AZ fans' frustration comes from. Upton is pretty terrible in right field. He cost the DBacks several runs in the 3 game series they played in Houston by taking horrible routes and mis-judging balls. I'm sure the pitchers cringe every time a ball is hit to right field.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
NECpilgrims8 said:

Well when your team commits endless errors that cost them games and has one of the worst records in baseball, you dont really have much to report about.

...my vote was no, it wasnt.

If anything he should be apologizing for the way the team is playing and the 2 errors he made in the series.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
How is this worthy of a news story? This happens all the time. Talk about the media making a mountain out of a molehill.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Its newsworthy because it shows the mentality of the team in general.

Upton committed 2 errors in the series. the one friday cost us the game pretty much, and the one yesterday allowed more runs to score.

He's pretty much getting pissy with the fans when he has absolutely no reason to. We have every right to be pissed off at this team and Upton's little "gesture" just shows that he doesnt care

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I would vote no as well.
Obviously, errors will happen and in a normal circumstance, I doubt that our star hitter would have received so many boos. However, an error made after another error and a few other mental mistakes finally pissed off a few too many fans. I was booing at home for that matter.
The bigger problem I have is with his nonchalant approach at catching the ball. Upton's attitude is poor at times, but I have no doubt it will be fixed eventually- he is only 21 after all. He just needs to grow up a little. The only problem is that I don't think Hinch or anyone in this organization is sitting him down and talking about it.

All in all, 90% of the player's on that field deserved to be booed, and Upton was one of them.

ETA: This was his only error, but in that same inning he absolutely air mailed a ball to home. Luckily Kendry Morales didn't score, but still, another mental mistake.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
NECpilgrims8 said:

Translation, "I have alot of money tied up in Upton cards, so I don't care if he rapes kids in the crowd between innings! It is the media making up stories! Upton can do know wrong!"

Prospectors in these polls ALWAYS vote according to their own intrests! ALWAYS! Believe me, I am with you on the media hate, but look in the mirror!

My point is if this were Luis Castillo, or someone you don't have money invested in, you would vote yes, and say the guy was disrespectful!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
bodiaz said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

Translation, "I have alot of money tied up in Upton cards, so I don't care if he rapes kids in the crowd between innings! It is the media making up stories! Upton can do know wrong!"

Prospectors in these polls ALWAYS vote according to their own intrests! ALWAYS! Believe me, I am with you on the media hate, but look in the mirror!

My point is if this were Luis Castillo, or someone you don't have money invested in, you would vote yes, and say the guy was disrespectful!

You are not only off the mark, you are out of line. I happen to have quite a bit tied up in him, and I think his gesture was inappropriate. This thread has nothing to do with prospecting (FYI - he is no longer a prospect), and for you to use it in such a way is ridiculous.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
bodiaz said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

How's that any different from you? If I said Bonds was a cheating piece of ****, I'm sure you'd have a hissy fit about it.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
I'm more disappointed that he ducked the media after the game (even though tons of players do that all the time, I feel like they should at least talk after the game when the can). The incident on the field happens often in visiting cities. I bet some of the fans that were mocking him laughed at it. I know I would have.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
bodiaz said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

I'll make this quick, because feeding the idiots around here isn't smart.

I have $0 tied up in Upton cards. I own ONE Upton card, which is in my personal collection.

Comparing a fake ball flip to "raping little kids in the stands" is just wrong on many levels. The fact that you even took the time to type that up is disturbing.

The fact that the fans mocked the team and upton when he DID make a play, shows their "maturity" as well. Those fans should be ashamed of themselves for not being able to look past an error, and failing to continue to believe in their team. Fair-weather fans in a nutshell, IMO.

jdpreas

Nov 14, 2008
WHAT A PUNK!!!!! All you people with Upton Autos and any of his cards and such. Just send them to me and I will dispose of them properly after this hanious act he did.................................................JK Its not a big Deal. We are all frustrated. Some of us would have done the same if we were in his shoes. But feel free to send the cards still if you dont want em.

Dan

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
Ian Stewart said:
bodiaz said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

How's that any different from you? If I said Bonds was a cheating piece of shat, I'm sure you'd have a hissy fit about it.

+1. I voted yes and I am not a prospector.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Ok i dont understand. Did he pretend to throw the ball "violently" into the stands to scare the fans? Or was it more like "heres a free ball, opps you can't have it" fake throw?

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
Ok i dont understand. Did he pretend to throw the ball "violently" into the stands to scare the fans? Or was it more like "heres a free ball, opps you can't have it" fake throw?
Second one.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Appropriate? No. Understandable? Yes. They fake cheered, he fake threw the ball.

I think it's funny how some fans get so up in arms about this stuff. Do fans have the right to boo? Yeah, but c'mon, at some point aren't you just alienating the players on the team you're supposed to support? A team or player struggles, the fans bitch and boo in the stands, on the radio, on the internet. The players can't do that, they can't do anything other than keep playing. They have to act unhuman, showing no negativity towards the people that are supposed to be supporting them, who now have become their tormenters.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts