Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is the best overall non-pitcher in baseball

Who is the best overall non-pitcher in baseball

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Take into consideration all aspects of the game, from what he does "outside" of baseball to defense to stats... explanations would be appreciated, with your choice for second place.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I can't stand him, but overall you can't deny the best player is A Rod. He will never carry a team cause he buckles under pressure, but overall stats wise and talent wise, he is the best.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Personally, if I were building a team right now and could only have 1 of thoes guys, it would be Hanley. However, I would not be too disapointed if I were to end up with Wright, Pujols or Reyes or Miggy...

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Why is Jeter on this list? What a joke. There were at least 20 players better than Jeter in 2008, probably more.

Arod or Pujols are the best overall players right now but Hanley Ramirez has a chance to take that title in the next couple of years.

tonyrios

Aug 11, 2008
Brooklyn
trevordchi said:
Why is Jeter on this list? What a joke. There were at least 20 players better than Jeter in 2008, probably more.

Arod or Pujols are the best overall players right now but Hanley Ramirez has a chance to take that title in the next couple of years.

Well someone voted for him before over half of the other players on that list. Some people really think a difference in the club house is greater than a difference at the plate. I agree he shouldn't be on that list, since he's more of an "intangible" guy, just trying to think of a reason.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Good guy, good contract, good power, good speed, good average. Defense needs some work, but I'm going with Hanley.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
tonyrios said:
trevordchi said:

Well someone voted for him before over half of the other players on that list. Some people really think a difference in the club house is greater than a difference at the plate. I agree he shouldn't be on that list, since he's more of an "intangible" guy, just trying to think of a reason.

So you're saying that the guy that almost single-handedly ruined the best player in baseball's career in NY because they had some personal differences is a great clubhouse guy? Riiiiiight.

When Arod first went to New York all you would hear about on ESPN was the tension between the two and blind Yankees fans all sided with their boy Jeter. Even after MVP seasons he still wasn't totally accepted in NY and I have no doubt that the way Jeter handled himself early on had a lot to do with it.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
A-Rod and Pujols are the only two guys that should even be on the list because they are so far above everyone else, and A-Rod is the better of the two.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
There are only two debatable choices:pujols and A-Rod. My vote is for Pujols because when he is healthy he is a freak. There are others that may inch their way into the conversation in the years to come but it is a two horse race.

I agree with the other poster, Jeter shouldn't be in the discussion and I don't care how many people voted for him. His "clubhouse presence" is so overrated it makes me want to puke. He is a very good player, not a great player and when he gets into the hall of fame i'll congratulate him on a fine career but he is not what others seem to think he is.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
trevordchi said:
tonyrios said:
trevordchi said:

So you're saying that the guy that almost single-handedly ruined the best player in baseball's career in NY because they had some personal differences is a great clubhouse guy? Riiiiiight.

When Arod first went to New York all you would hear about on ESPN was the tension between the two and blind Yankees fans all sided with their boy Jeter. Even after MVP seasons he still wasn't totally accepted in NY and I have no doubt that the way Jeter handled himself early on had a lot to do with it.

Instead of all the Jeter bashing, why don't you tell us who should be on the list in his place and why...

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Mozzie22 said:
There are only two debatable choices:pujols and A-Rod. My vote is for Pujols because when he is healthy he is a freak. There are others that may inch their way into the conversation in the years to come but it is a two horse race.

I agree with the other poster, Jeter shouldn't be in the discussion and I don't care how many people voted for him. His "clubhouse presence" is so overrated it makes me want to puke. He is a very good player, not a great player and when he gets into the hall of fame i'll congratulate him on a fine career but he is not what others seem to think he is.

This coming from an Ozzie Smith fan... one of the most overrated one-dimensional Hall Of Fame players. Jeter will most likely have in between 3,500-4,000 career hits, over 2,000 runs, over 500 doubles, over 1,000 RBIs, over 400 stolen bases while hitting over .315 with 4 World Series rings (maybe more). I know people read the article explaining that he isn't a good fielder, but get real.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
sportscardtheory said:
Mozzie22 said:

This coming from an Ozzie Smith fan... one of the most overrated Hall Of Fame players. Jeter will most likely have in between 3,500-4,000 career hits, over 2,000 runs, over 500 doubles, over 1,000 RBIs, over 400 stolen bases while hitting over .315 with 4 World Series rings (maybe more). I know people read the article explaining that he isn't a good fielder, but get real.

Not to be a dick, but saying that Jeter is a good, not great player is just flat out wrong. Read the above projected numbers and rethink that statement. There are more ways to be a great player than just hitting homeruns. He will likely be in the top 5 all-time for career hits. That alone is enough to make him a great player in my book.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I voted for A-Rod

Now here where i disagree with the list.I would take Grady Sizemore over Jose Reyes,David Wright for sure...Hanley & Sizemore are to close to make a pick about.Everyone else on the list i agree with.

ccolwell

Aug 7, 2008
NC
I voted for Pujols because unlike Arod he does not buckle under pressure. Therefore arod would be my second choice.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
If you want to think Ozzie was overrated go ahead, I’m not married to the guy and I’m not going to cry like a Jeter fan about it. Jeter is “great” because of where he plays…Period. When he retires he will have fantastic numbers and then I will congratulate him for being great; until then he is a very good shortstop that is way over hyped.

If you don’t think he is overrated you need look no further than this survey, he is actually being considered in a “best player” survey? My God! Derek Jeter actually won the web gem of the year award a couple of years ago for the play where he was running towards the third base line. For those that didn’t see the 4 million replays, he catches the ball on a routine play and takes about four steps before heroically diving (needlessly) into the crowd. What a joke.

As far as Derek Jeter’s “intangibles,” like his clubhouse presence, please give me any example of his leadership capability. Anyone? The only clubhouse “leadership” I have ever seen is him leaving A-Rod out in the cold when he could have helped him. If you play for one team long enough you get named captain and when ESPN tells you that someone is the second coming long enough people start to believe it.

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
arod G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Career 2042 7860 1605 2404 428 26 553 1606 980 1641 283 67 .306 .389 .578 .967
Jeter
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Career 1985 8025 1467 2535 411 57 206 1002 813 1376 275 75 .316 .387 .458 .845
Don't tell me jeter isn't a great player too, stats speak for them selves. Beside who do you want in the Ws a choker or a Clutch Hitter? I'll let you deside!

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Mozzie22 said:
If you want to think Ozzie was overrated go ahead, I’m not married to the guy and I’m not going to cry like a Jeter fan about it. Jeter is “great” because of where he plays…Period. When he retires he will have fantastic numbers and then I will congratulate him for being great; until then he is a very good shortstop that is way over hyped.

If you don’t think he is overrated you need look no further than this survey, he is actually being considered in a “best player” survey? My God! Derek Jeter actually won the web gem of the year award a couple of years ago for the play where he was running towards the third base line. For those that didn’t see the 4 million replays, he catches the ball on a routine play and takes about four steps before heroically diving (needlessly) into the crowd. What a joke.

As far as Derek Jeter’s “intangibles,” like his clubhouse presence, please give me any example of his leadership capability. Anyone? The only clubhouse “leadership” I have ever seen is him leaving A-Rod out in the cold when he could have helped him. If you play for one team long enough you get named captain and when ESPN tells you that someone is the second coming long enough people start to believe it.

I just can't believe you can't at least put him in the top ten overall players... who would you put in his place?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The guy has 2500 hits already and he's 34 years old. He's played solid defense (maybe not even "great") but definitely good. He has been a clutch performer and has never batted below .290 in his career. He has close to 300 stolen bases and over 400 doubles in his career. To me, those numbers would make him a great player even if he played for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

I don't think he's the best player in the game and he never has been or will be, but he is ONE of the top players year in and year out. He's consistent, and you can count on him to put up solid numbers each season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts