Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who should pack? Trade rumors, theories, and questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
We’re in July and there are definitely going to be some trades. I wanted to see what everyone else thought and maybe see things I’m overlooking or haven’t heard.

The Nationals said that they’re not going to have a “firesale”, but they also said no one is “untouchable”. I don’t think Ryan Zimmermann needs to worry, but I could see Nick Johnson, Adam Dunn, Josh Willingham, and Elijah Dukes maybe relocating. For Dunn I have read that the Giants and Red Sox are both interested in him. I think Boston would be a perfect fit and that Dunn would thrive there. He would be on a good team with protection in the line up and could explode.

There are rumors of a potential Indians firesale as well. With players like Victor Martinez, Jhonny Peralta, Cliff Lee, and Kerry Wood being able to help some teams out. Adding any of these players could really add a boost to a team. I’m not too sure where they might be heading, but I have also read that the Red Sox may be interested in Martinez to play 1B.

Roy Halladay being on the market is big. I can’t imagine what teams don’t want to add him, but I think he ends up staying. I figure the Yankees could potentially make a ridiculous offer that no other team could match. That would mean either the Jays trade him to a division rival or hold onto him.

The Reds are looking for a 3B. If the Nats would truly be willing to move Zimmermann, I think the Reds should consider putting an offer together. With Votto and Zimmermann at the hot corners and Jay Bruce, that could be a good young nucleus of position players.

Now that the Cubs have an agreement in place for the sale of the team, could the new owners okay new payroll and allow the Cubs to go after Peavy or Halladay? I think the Cubs may even entertain the idea of going after a bat.

Feel free to add your thoughts on these and other rumors.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Jaypers said:
thefasterblade said:
Jaypers said:
I hope the Rays trade either Jeff Niemann or Wade Davis.

For what?

A catcher, preferably young.

I don't know if you'll find a young catcher out there, but maybe V-Mart? But, I don't think the Rays are willing to take on money. Most likely, they won't be doing anything at all.

Should have just drafted Posey last year.

Hold Steady

Jul 7, 2009
cleveland
muskiesfan said:
We’re in July and there are definitely going to be some trades. I wanted to see what everyone else thought and maybe see things I’m overlooking or haven’t heard.

There are rumors of a potential Indians firesale as well. With players like Victor Martinez, Jhonny Peralta, Cliff Lee, and Kerry Wood being able to help some teams out. Adding any of these players could really add a boost to a team. I’m not too sure where they might be heading, but I have also read that the Red Sox may be interested in Martinez to play 1B.

Feel free to add your thoughts on these and other rumors.

I don't know where that V-Mart rumor started, but I don't like it at all. The worst part of the potential deal is that Victor has been in a horrid slump and his stock is tumbling because of it. I know Carlos Santana is waiting in the wings, but I just don't see us ridding ourselves of Victor.

Cliff Lee is somewhat of a conundrum. I honestly do feel he loves the city and appreciates that we didn't give up on him in 07. Although, prior to that year he was still a solid pitcher, for whatever reason 07 was rough to him. I do believe that he would resign with the Tribe. I don't feel that his situation is similar enough to CC's last year, yet.

Our bullpen is in such shambles. If Kerry Wood can be dealt, I wouldn't mind it that much. We've just traded for Chris Perez who was pretty solid last year for STL. I was really sad to see DeRosa be dealt, but turns out it was the best time to deal him because he's now hurt. Although, I don't think he had any problems until he got to Saint Louis, he might have injured himself on that diving catch in his first game for the Red Birds.

We've made a few odd deals here and there so far (dealing Meloan for a stop gap 31 year old?), but overall this season is not indicative of where the franchise is at, and I think having a fire sale is the worst option. I'd much rather stay the course and see where we end off at.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
I don't see Zimmerman leaving Washington this year

If the Chi Sox have a rough 2-3 weeks, JDye to someone like Cincy for Homer Bailey makes sense if Cincy staying strong

C Lee still cheap enough for 2010 so it would take a lot to part with him

A Rios = better bet to leave Toronto than Roy H
It would be tought to swallow to trade Roy H to division team

2B = the need by a few teams so I can can Uggla and/or F Sanchez leaving in the next 3 weeks

I hope the board doesn't overact when their favorite prospect gets traded away from a contending team. GMs that trade away youth aren't in the baseball card industry. They are doing what will help their franchise win this year

Many hated the Blanton for Cardenas deal but obviously it helped last year and Blanton is eating up innings this year (plus Phillies didn't see a spot open up for AC any time soon)

Angels/Rangers collectors, good chance you guys losing a prospect or two in the next month or so

DukeandKSUFanatic

Aug 8, 2008
Dayton Moore said that everyone on KC's team could get traded except for Grienke and Soria. I could see Teahan, Mahay, Cruz and possibly Meche or Bannister getting traded. I know that the Phillies are looking at Meche and Bannister.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
DukeandKSUFanatic said:
Dayton Moore said that everyone on KC's team could get traded except for Grienke and Soria. I could see Teahan, Mahay, Cruz and possibly Meche or Bannister getting traded. I know that the Phillies are looking at Meche and Bannister.

Maybe Teahan and/or Meche for one of the Phils catcher of the future?

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008

bigpops65

Feb 9, 2009
Providence, RI
The Red Sox won't trade for Nick Johnson, too much of a liability and gets hurt too much.

V-Mart will cost too much, so the Sox won't give up the farm for him.

And where would Dunn play?

DukeandKSUFanatic

Aug 8, 2008
kentuckyderby said:
DukeandKSUFanatic said:

I believe so I know there was talk at Mike Arbuckle was scouting Lou Marson this year. I wouldnt be mad at all if KC got him.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I heard Martinez to the Giants for Madison B. and 1-2 other prospects.Yahoo mentioned this a few days ago,but 1-2 Cleveland people have said this also.

If the Indians have any chance to contend in 2010,They have to keep Cliff Lee & Kerry Wood in my opinion.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
DukeandKSUFanatic said:
kentuckyderby said:
DukeandKSUFanatic said:

I believe so I know there was talk at Mike Arbuckle was scouting Lou Marson this year. I wouldnt be mad at all if KC got him.

I was just about to say that I'm about 75% sure that Lou Marson's moving. I don't like it, but I understand it.

My stash of sweet Lous are toast if he goes to KC.

Then again, Lou's not doing too well in AAA right now anyway, so I wonder what value he actually has.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
95vr4 said:
Hold Steady said:
95vr4 said:
Jaypers said:
thefasterblade said:
[quote="Jaypers":1p2jy89z]I hope the Rays trade either Jeff Niemann or Wade Davis.

For what?

A catcher, preferably young.

Maybe Carlos Santana? I'd be very happy with that :D

Wishful thinking no? :D

Well, with Victor Martinez and Kelly Shoppach blocking Carlos Santana, I think the possibility is there ;)[/quote:1p2jy89z]

Shoppach is blocking no one. He's struck out a ton this year, his defense has been less than stellar (he's throwing out fewer baserunners than before & I've seen him throw the ball into the outfield on basestealing attempts at least twice this year), and as a result he hasn't been playing much lately. The Indians view Santana as the heir apparent to Victor Martinez at the catcher position, and that makes it extremely unlikely that he's going anyplace else. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't trade him if overwhelmed with a deal containing young, near-MLB ready starting pitching, but they won't trade him because K-Shop is blocking him. Shoppach has fallen from grace in a horrific way in 2009, and I don't see him bouncing back.

I see V-Mart getting more playing time at 1st base in the coming years, with Santana taking over for the most part behind the dish. Either that, or Martinez is traded, with LaPorta/Garko taking over at 1st base and Santana taking over full-time as catcher.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I'm interested to see if the M's believe they're good enough to not only make the playoffs, but make a run, because they have pieces like Bedard, Washburn, Beltre, and Branyan they could use to restock the system. Bedard and Washburn have had very good seasons(apart from the usual trip to the DL for Bedard), so you'd be selling high on them, and you're probably never going to get more value for Branyan. Beltre is out right now, so not sure how hot of a commodity he'll be come the deadline. I don't think the M's have a team to win the division, even with those very good top 3 starters, and the Wild Card is coming from the East.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
DukeandKSUFanatic said:
kentuckyderby said:
DukeandKSUFanatic said:

I was just about to say that I'm about 75% sure that Lou Marson's moving. I don't like it, but I understand it.

My stash of sweet Lous are toast if he goes to KC.

Then again, Lou's not doing too well in AAA right now anyway, so I wonder what value he actually has.

He's been doing much better lately. I think he'll be a very good MLB player. Probably not an all star, but should have a good major league career and help a team win.

If the Phils can't get Halladay(who I would prefer them not trade away all of there future for), I would really like Meche. I know he's not an ace, but he should give them a good number of quality starts, which is all they need.

Members online

Latest posts