Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

TOPPS SKETCH ARTISTS POSTED HERE!! MAYBE MORE JOINING...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I don't know if these so called "sketch" cards will ever catch on, but if they do, I wanted to make sure I got myself a RUTH by a talented artist :D

I don't think they are "true sketch" cards. I believe they are "transfers and color", but whatever they are, they are 1/1 in being they are the only card exactly like it. There may be similar cards, but there is AT LEAST some personalization that goes into each one of them, that you can't say about 99% of the routine print cards.

They may take awhile to catch on, but they are very popular in fantasy and comic, and I think it is just a matter of time before they catch on for sports cards.

UPDATE - TWO TOPPS SKETCH ARTISTS HAVE POSTED HERE IN THIS THREAD - CHECK OUT THEIR SITES, MAYBE MORE COMING TOO...

c456_12.jpg

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Re: I won myself a babe ruth 1/1

Here is a link to the bucket of the artist. I actually chatted with him through ebay mail for about 30 minutes before the auction ended, learning quite a bit about the process. There is a little bit of controversy surrounding what a "sketch" is, and I mean to investigate further. Anyway if you look at his bucket you will see 2 ruths next to each other, one being the one i just won.

I am convinced the actual card i won is a 1/1 regardless if the drawing is in fact a free-hand drawing on the card or not. I believe the painting is free-handed, but I never got all of the answers before the artist bailed on me after about 10 emails back and forth.

http://gallery.me.com/ldmonster#100380&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009

That's a really nice work of art there. Obviously the sketch cards in general are hit or miss, but that's a good one. Nice pickup.

As far as future value, if I'm not mistaken, the sketch cards in the comic realm are by artists that actually draw the comics, no?
That's a whole different ball game (bad pun) from random joes making baseball player sketches.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Here are a few others I picked up today from other artists. I think I like the Ruth artist work by far the best though.

09TSantana.jpg
!BV7wLHQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjIEjlLmW!tGBKU+RyDtuQ~~_12.jpg
mannysketchpencil.jpg

!BT,+M7Q!2k~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmbku,BKIY8ZbDcg~~_12.jpg

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Jeff D said:
That's a really nice work of art there. Obviously the sketch cards in general are hit or miss, but that's a good one. Nice pickup.

As far as future value, if I'm not mistaken, the sketch cards in the comic realm are by artists that actually draw the comics, no?
That's a whole different ball game (bad pun) from random joes making baseball player sketches.

Here is a link to this artists other work. he does starwars, comics, all sorts of stuff that my daughter is into, but not me. Yes, I think there is some real talent here, not just common joes. I am trying to convince the artist to come in here and talk. I think that if this takes off, some artists can REALLY make a name for themselves, like Dick Perez. It would be in his interest to peruse the sports message boards...

Link to his other work, BESIDES SPORTS
http://www.rabidart.com/RabidArt.com/Luis_Diaz_Artist.html

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009

A sketch artist came to Beckett once and answered some questions and showed off his drawings. I think he said he got like $50 bucks.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Jeff D said:
A sketch artist came to Beckett once and answered some questions and showed off his drawings. I think he said he got like $50 bucks.

THe artist "Luis Diaz" is going to Join here and share some info about the process.
Yea, I told him and a few other artists that I have chatted with the same thing.
Their work should be $500+ and they deserve recognition as well.

They recieve some of their compensation by getting some cards back.
I will let Luis Diaz share the process, if/when he comes.

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
Re: I won myself a babe ruth 1/1 - THE ARTIST MAY BE JOINING US

His non baseball stuff is incredible,his baseball stuff is very nice too but I dont like the whole "trace" thing.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Re: I won myself a babe ruth 1/1 - THE ARTIST MAY BE JOINING US

thenumberonemetfan said:
His non baseball stuff is incredible,his baseball stuff is very nice too but I dont like the whole "trace" thing.

I still am not exactly sure in the case of this Ruth card. In one example, he told me that the drawing was transferred "not traced" but transferred, and then he colored it...but then I thought he told me in the example of the Ruth, that the entire art was created on the card. He said that he will join the message boards and talk a little bit about himself, his desires, and show off a few pieces of his work and answer any questions we may have, but that it may be a day or two, that he is getting ready for an art show.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Re: Ebay Win BABE RUTH #1/1 - THE ARTIST MAY BE JOINING US

matchpenalty said:
Sketch cards>Game used trash cards

I agree, i see them as greater(>) than any "print" card in that there is personalization in each card. On-card autos actually have player personalization, but any other type of card imho has less personalization. The artists put a few hours into these cards.

I think every collection should have at least one or two sketch cards, which is why I joined the bandwagon...they are pretty cool too. :shock:

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Re: Ebay Win BABE RUTH #1/1 - THE ARTIST MAY BE JOINING US

The artist left me another message stating that he WILL FOR SURE join and post sometime this week.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Re: BABE RUTH #1/1 -NOW 2 artists will join us HOBRECHT & DIAZ

I have been chatting with another artists who currently has one of his pieces of art up for sale, and he will be joining us here and sharing as well.

If you have any questions about "Topps Sketches", ask now!

Hobrecht was very friendly and modest, but did state that he has been noticing an incline in his work. He only does sports art.

!BWihNZw!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlbinfBK(48VFlH!~~_12.jpg

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Re: BABE RUTH #1/1 -NOW 2 artists will join us HOBRECHT & DIAZ

I own a sketch by each of them so I figuired I would show them off in this thread :)
scan0774.jpg

scan0777.jpg

davehobrecht

Jul 16, 2009
Re: 2 artists contracted by Topps will join us HOBRECHT & DIAZ

Hey Guys,

Mikelikesbaseball e-mailed me and asked me to post on this forum. My name is Dave and I am one of the sketch card artists. Nice to meet you all.

Mike was questioning a Pujols I just posted on ebay. He asked if I traced or did some sort of transfer. I do not. I use pencil to draw it out (Free Hand) no light tables like you guys think!!!! I do not trace, transfer or use any other method. I have been at this for over 15 years and have become decent...I think?

Then I use a combo of Charcoal and pastel dust to get the style. I apply with brushes (That’s why I call them paintings). If you take one of my cards and blow it up....you will see that it is real. Also...if you saw one in person you can easily tell that it is a complete 1/1 and 100% original. Maybe the owner of that Zambrano will agree.

I told him I had to admit...the Albert turned out great...one of my best...but not all are that good. Hit "Hobrecht" in the search section on ebay. A few Jeters will come up...take a look at the smaller Jeter...it’s not a good one of mine...not all are perfect! Actually I am embarrassed of some I sent to Topps...but that's the way it goes.

I received some questions recently because I had painted some of the same pictures a few times. I did a few Cobbs that were questioned and posted. The funny thing is...it is easy to tell that they are different. If you look close... you can see that all three are different...just look the same due to the same reference material. Again zero transfer, trace,… etc.

You can see some of my other work on my web site www.hobrecht.com Some of my paintings take 5 weeks+....I spend a ton of time on them to get the details my clients demand and deserve.

Anyways…hopefully that clears up Mike’s questions and……I hope you guys continue to support this program...because I think it’s a fun and innovative offering from Topps. I appreciate the time and look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions. Sometimes I am slow to respond...but I will.

Best,

Dave

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Re: Topps ARTIST HOBRECHT - 3rd Post on Page 2

Hobrecht explaiined to me that many artists are considered "MIXED MEDIA", meaning part of the art is transferred and part is freehand. Hobrecht also assured me that he doesn't do ANY "mixed media". I don't know if my Ruth (by Luis Diaz) is or not, I hope the other artist will join and clarify.

Sweetness

Mar 1, 2009
Re: Topps Contracted ARTIST HOBRECHT - 3rd Post on Page 2

Hobrecht is with out a doubt the best in the business. Hopefully the quality stuff he does will push other GOOD artists to sports sketches. His stuff is amazing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts