Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about MiLB options/contract.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong ,but if a MiLB player is out of options and their contract runs out at the end of the year the team has to purchase their contract at the MLB level to be able to keep them? If the contract is not purchased can that team resign them to a MiLB contract or are they free to explore other options?

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
It sounds like you are asking two different things, but maybe I'm not understanding the question.

In order for a player to use up an option, he must be moved from the 25 man MLB active roster to the minors. In order to have been on the 25 man roster in the first place, he must have been on the 40 man roster and the MLB team had to "purchase" that players minor league contract. So if the payer in question has used up their options, they would be necessity already have a Major League contract.

If that contract is up, he's a free agent. Options or no options, he can do what he wants and any team can sign him. If no one wants him, he should be able to be signed to a MiLB contract. But in order for him to ever play in the Majors again, the MLB team would need to buy his contract. If he then were sent back down to the minors, he would need to clear waivers in order to stay with that team, since he's out of options.

Is that what you're looking for? MLB rules are complicated, but I think I got that all right. :)

Edited to add -
I suppose there could be an exception to what I said. I assumed that since this player had signed a contract (not the automatic renewal contracts) with the team, he was probably in the majors for a number of years.

The player could be out of options and if he has less then 5 years experience, he can be optioned to the minors for a fourth year without clearing waivers. A player is not eligible for free agency until his 6th year of experience, so he would more likely need to clear waivers if he was assigned to the minors during his 5th year (if this is the case). Hope I confused the situation a little. :)

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff D said:
It sounds like you are asking two different things, but maybe I'm not understanding the question.

In order for a player to use up an option, he must be moved from the 25 man MLB active roster to the minors. In order to have been on the 25 man roster in the first place, he must have been on the 40 man roster and the MLB team had to "purchase" that players minor league contract. So if the payer in question has used up their options, they would be necessity already have a Major League contract.

If that contract is up, he's a free agent. Options or no options, he can do what he wants and any team can sign him. If no one wants him, he should be able to be signed to a MiLB contract. But in order for him to ever play in the Majors again, the MLB team would need to buy his contract. If he then were sent back down to the minors, he would need to clear waivers in order to stay with that team, since he's out of options.

Is that what you're looking for? MLB rules are complicated, but I think I got that all right. :)

Yea, I worded my question a little weird. You answered everything I was trying to ask. I should have added that the player was already on the 40 man roster.

Members online

Latest posts