Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lack of fans in Tampa ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigpops65

Feb 9, 2009
Providence, RI
So I was watching last night's Sox-Rays game and noticed the lack of fans at the game (I think attendance was announced at about 17K). That is just disgraceful. Why even have a team there? 17,000 for the series that can make or break your playoff chances?

Are there any Rays fans? If so, why not go to the game???

thetrop-008.jpg

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
I was there three weeks ago, and surprisely there were about 40% of Orioles fans there. There were like 20,000 fans. I remember that because it was a "cheap night of ballgame" when Tampa had $.50 hot dogs! I had 4!!!

:lol:

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
George_Calfas said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
There was a decent amount of Sox fans there too.

Fans or band-wagoneers?

I think most weekday games have low attendance numbers in small market areas

Maybe both, but I don't know that the pink hat fans that live in other markets really bother going to the games. Much like it is in other markets (LA/NY come to mind) the pink hat fans go to games in Boston so they can tell their friends they went to the game. People in Tampa aren't going to care that Joe Smith the Red Sox fan went to the Boston vs. Tampa game. You tell a co-worker in MA that you went to a game and they say "that's awesome," "how'd you get tickets?" or something showing real interest.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
The marlins only had around 3,000 people at one of their games a week or so ago.

Yeah, but this discussion is about Major League Franchises.

yankeeshater

Aug 7, 2008
George_Calfas said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
There was a decent amount of Sox fans there too.

Fans or band-wagoneers?

I think most weekday games have low attendance numbers in small market areas

It doesn't matter. What is important is the fact that a sizable portion of those in attendence were there to see the Red Sox. When the Red Sox are not there, nor are the fans/"bandwagoners."

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
I made the two hour drive to the Trop last night expecting a big atmosphere, and I was very disappointed with how empty it was. There were less people there than a Monday afternoon Royals game I went to last month.

I was expecting close to 30,000 given the circumstances. Our most hated rival, and playoff hopes on the line. It's pathetic that so few people showed up.

I just hope we can win the next two or the chances are the playoffs are probably over.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Not to mention Tampa was in the World Series last year, so they should still have a sizable bandwagon effect, too. I was shocked to turn it on and see it so empty.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
...if you tear down the sinkhole and build an actual stadium....they will come....

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Jaypers said:
...if you tear down the sinkhole and build an actual stadium....they will come....

True that. I did make the trip down there in 2006 (in time to see the Corky Miller/Javy Lopez/eventual implosion Sox season), and that place was a pit. Free parking is nice, though.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
bungle77 said:
Jaypers said:

True that. I did make the trip down there in 2006 (in time to see the Corky Miller/Javy Lopez/eventual implosion Sox season), and that place was a pit. Free parking is nice, though.

Obviously you haven't been there recently... They've done a lot of nice upgrades. It's not the stadium that's the problem, it's the location.

Oh, and parking isn't free anymore unless you know where to park lol.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
cowboysrule48 said:
bungle77 said:
Jaypers said:

Obviously you haven't been there recently... They've done a lot of nice upgrades. It's not the stadium that's the problem, it's the location.

If there have been upgrades since 2006, then yes, obviously, I haven't seen them - hence I gave the timeline of my visit.
If you're having trouble getting people to the park WITH free parking, why would you take that away? Seems short-sighted.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
cowboysrule48 said:
bungle77 said:
Jaypers said:

It's the stadium and the location. The stadium is a shizhole.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Isn't Florida a state that's largely comprised of transplants? I know when the Leafs play in Tampa or Miami, it might as well be a home game. What with all the transplants and snowbirds, it must be tougher to cultivate a strong fan base. A lot of those people already cheer for a different team.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
There is nothing wrong with the actual stadium. Building a new stadium in St. Pete, which is what they wanted to do, will do nothing to help attendance. It can take an hour to get from downtown Tampa to the Trop for a 7 o'clock start. The ride back isn't as bad, but before the game you are also competing with rush hour traffic.

Now from where I live, the current location is much more convenient than a move to Tampa would be, but for the Rays, a stadium somewhere in downtown would do wonders.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
cowboysrule48 said:
There is nothing wrong with the actual stadium. Building a new stadium in St. Pete, which is what they wanted to do, will do nothing to help attendance. It can take an hour to get from downtown Tampa to the Trop for a 7 o'clock start. The ride back isn't as bad, but before the game you are also competing with rush hour traffic.

Now from where I live, the current location is much more convenient than a move to Tampa would be, but for the Rays, a stadium somewhere in downtown would do wonders.

Apparently, you've never been to a real stadium. I posted a long rant a year ago on this forum but I can't seem to find it. This will have to do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ampa/part1

Members online

Latest posts