Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does a PC Card's Value Matter to You

Does a PC card's value matter to you?

• Yes, both BV and sale price

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Do you care about a cards value if it's strictly for pc?

I have to say the only time I care is when I'm trading for or buying it. Once a card hits my pc, I only care about how it looks or if it's a rare card to be proud of.

When I was younger, I used to run to the magazine rack at Wal Mart to check the Beckett to se what they said my latest pull was worth, but then I grew a brain and realized that Beckett's price guide is only good for recycling, so that the paper can be used for something more productive.

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
I suppose I'd be about the same. However, I do keep up with some of the cards' values. This way, if there's a steal to be had on ebay I might pick up a double of something I've got already.

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
Only if I'm trading for it or buying it. If I were to have pulled something from a pack for my PC, I probably wouldn't even bother looking it up on ebay to see its current value.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I frequently pay over book on certain CC inserts. I pay attention to price when buying (on a small budget), but mainly look to add things I don't yet have. Once it's in my collection, I do acknowledge which are the rarer, but I enjoy them all whether they are base, inserts, GU or autos.

lumm0x

May 23, 2009
I pay zero attention to book value anymore in this hobby, be it PC cards or trading. I don't even bother with PC card values in any circumstance. I pay what I want for them and seldom trade anyways. There is no such thing as overpaying for your own PC.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Could care less. I've spent $100 on a Northcutt Auto /25 before. Guess what ? No way in hell it "books" for that.

True player collectors don't care. Or, I don't anyways. Never will either :p

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
BV is lame. I pay no attention to it when it comes to PC. How could you put stock in a guide that will list a card at say $100 but said card constantly sells for $20?

Useful for trading purposes I guess but I could care less about BV.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
For all of you saying the value doesn't matter and that you can't overpay for a pc card...this is the exact reason people jack up the prices on you when they know you collect a certain player or team or card.

I do understand and agree that sometimes you will pay more for pc items but there is no reason to pay way more than the going rate just because you can and because you want the card.That would be like me going to one of these local shops and paying $10 for a random Bagwell rookie I could otherwise get online for a whopping $1.

For me...I like to know what something books but I don't care after that.Its fun to know you have a valuable collection but its not going anywhere so oh well.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
predatorkj said:
For all of you saying the value doesn't matter and that you can't overpay for a pc card...this is the exact reason people jack up the prices on you when they know you collect a certain player or team or card.

I do understand and agree that sometimes you will pay more for pc items but there is no reason to pay way more than the going rate just because you can and because you want the card.That would be like me going to one of these local shops and paying $10 for a random Bagwell rookie I could otherwise get online for a whopping $1.

For me...I like to know what something books but I don't care after that.Its fun to know you have a valuable collection but its not going anywhere so oh well.
i just pay by how much i like the look of the card.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
jeff550 said:
predatorkj said:

You shouldn't always do that.Trust me...I have done it before and gotten really ripped.I am a big cheapskate now days.Hell...you'd be lucky to get what it currently goes for on ebay out of me unless I really needed it.Its not that I refuse to pay going rates.I just am now starting to get the train of thought where I just don't feel like pushing the pedal to metal for every single card.I mean...everyone has cards for sale.Why should I buy from you.What are you going to do to earn my business.

I don't mean that I want to underpay.But if I see 10 sellers on ebay or ten sellers at a show and they all have the same card for the same price...eventually one of them will give you a deal.It might only be a $1 off but hey...I work with those who are willing to work with me.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
predatorkj said:
jeff550 said:
predatorkj said:

You shouldn't always do that.Trust me...I have done it before and gotten really ripped.I am a big cheapskate now days.Hell...you'd be lucky to get what it currently goes for on ebay out of me unless I really needed it.Its not that I refuse to pay going rates.I just am now starting to get the train of thought where I just don't feel like pushing the pedal to metal for every single card.I mean...everyone has cards for sale.Why should I buy from you.What are you going to do to earn my business.

I don't mean that I want to underpay.But if I see 10 sellers on ebay or ten sellers at a show and they all have the same card for the same price...eventually one of them will give you a deal.It might only be a $1 off but hey...I work with those who are willing to work with me.
i am kind of know. i still like the guy chraging me $100 for a matt linert Nt card. i get a larry fitz one for $25 :lol:

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
I said yes, sale and BV.

Am I aware BV is meaningless, all outlets considered? Yep, sure am.

If a card is PC, shouldn't it be priceless anyway? I'm 50/50 on that. Nothing is untouchable, no matter how much someone claims it is.

I just think the allure of pricing adds that much more fun to the hobby.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
lumm0x said:
I pay zero attention to book value anymore in this hobby, be it PC cards or trading. I don't even bother with PC card values in any circumstance. I pay what I want for them and seldom trade anyways. There is no such thing as overpaying for your own PC.

I'm all for "Only caring of a PC card's SV when buying or trading for it" but are you seriously suggesting you pay no attention to SV when you go to purchase a card (you don't do a little background check on completed auction's)??? If not, you must be rich or only purchase the .99 center's as that is just being careless with your spending..... But it's your money bro, you're aloud to be as wise or as careless as you choose to be with it! :D

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I try to do some homework and see what a card is going for. Have I overpaid? Yes. Have I gotten steals/deals? Yes. It all balances out. I know I've overpaid before, but majoritively I get my cards for the going rate or a little under.

To be honest, there are several people on this board that I have ongoing/open trades with. When I get something of someone they collect, I send it to them and vice versa. I still acquire the majority of my cards through purchasing them, but this has helped my grow my collection as well and it only costs the postage of what I send them.

Once the item is in hand, I could care less what the bv or sv of it is.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
muskiesfan said:
I try to do some homework and see what a card is going for. Have I overpaid? Yes. Have I gotten steals/deals? Yes. It all balances out. I know I've overpaid before, but majoritively I get my cards for the going rate or a little under.

To be honest, there are several people on this board that I have ongoing/open trades with. When I get something of someone they collect, I send it to them and vice versa. I still acquire the majority of my cards through purchasing them, but this has helped my grow my collection as well and it only costs the postage of what I send them.

Once the item is in hand, I could care less what the bv or sv of it is.

Yeah...I have to overpay for things of Bagwell if I buy locally.Of course everyone and their brother will buy Astros stuff around here so there is a hometown markup.I usually get all of my good deals on Bagwell stuff on the internet.But as for other non-astros related items...I save a bundle when it comes to buying from local shops.I can buy autos of star players and GU and inserts as well as sets or partial sets for next to nothing.I think ,besides how I came back into the hobby(I ended up trading off my entire comic book collection for sports cards and items), the very reason my collection is so huge and diverse is because of the plethora of cards that local shops sell that are super cheap.I pick up a lot of stuff that would sell for so much more on ebay.

When I first got back in I was able to pick up all kinds of 90's inserts and I am pretty sure I could turn a hefty profit on those, if I wished.I could also turn a profit on other cards I buy.Autos and GU.I can pick up pretty decent patch cards of star players for usually half the ebay price or more.I can probably take my Bagwell cards I buy and sell them for more locally too.I guess it all boils down to realizing that the overall market on items is bigger online, and the market locally may be small if non-existant.Then realizing that this equals an opportunity.I personally don't use it to make money.It simply helps me along with my collection.

But its also why I say that the BV or even SV means something to me.If it didn't then I wouldn't care what cards I picked up or how much they cost me.But knowing all these factors, and better yet(and sometimes the hardest part if you are really jonesing for a card) is remembering it.I try to be a very selective buyer.If I feel I didn't get a good deal on something then I will learn from it and move on.But in my mind I am a collector.A hobbyist.And to do so successfully means I also need to make sure I am not overpaying.Otherwise...not very much really sets me apart from a novice.If you do anything...be good at it.That includes saving money where and if you can!

Members online

Latest posts