Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jackie Robinson 1948 - PSA or SGC?

Which holder for Jackie?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teachervido

Aug 7, 2008
Fresh Meadows, NY
I'm trying to get a Jackie Robinson '48 Leaf card. Which holder looks more attractive SGC or PSA? I think BGS but I'm afraid it'll look weird in a Beckett case.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
although i own a decent 48 jackie in a psa holder, if i could find a nicer one in my budget in SGC, i would buy it, and sell my psa

hank.jpg

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
hofautos said:
although i own a decent 48 jackie in a psa holder, if i could find a nicer one in my budget in SGC, i would buy it, and sell my psa

hank.jpg

Odd picture to show. Is that to display the niceness of the case?

I voted for SGC with the caveat that you find one that's decently centered.
SGC tends to be a little more lenient on centering, so they can often be a little more OC in the same grade as compared to PSA.

I would stay away from BGS since they don't seem to care about trimming. That's especially frowned on with vintage cards, and if you ever want to resell it might come back to bite you.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Jeff D said:
I would stay away from BGS since they don't seem to care about trimming.

How do you figure? BGS said they would allow a card cut *perfectly* from an uncut sheet, a card having perfect dimensions.

A "trimmed" card has less than perfect dimensions, and Beckett will not slab such a card.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Jeff D said:
hofautos said:

SGC tends to be a little more lenient on centering, so they can often be a little more OC in the same grade as compared to PSA.

simply to show a vintage card in sgc
I wouldn't agree with the centering remark, i have seen a ton of oc cards in psa holders that didn't get the oc qualifier that should have...i would just say find a nice centered one, which can be a trick in itself with the 48 jackies. that is one of the most difficult cards to find a nice card that is both centered and clean of print marks and have nice coloring. VERY TOUGH CARD....here is mine.

1948jackie.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Warren's All Stars said:
[quote="Jeff D":2z9us9wt]I would stay away from BGS since they don't seem to care about trimming.

How do you figure? BGS said they would allow a card cut *perfectly* from an uncut sheet, a card having perfect dimensions.

A "trimmed" card has less than perfect dimensions, and Beckett will not slab such a card.[/quote:2z9us9wt]
Yes, I don't think Beckett has ever slabbed a trimmed card either...

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
Jeff D said:
hofautos said:

I wouldn't agree with the centering remark, i have seen a ton of oc cards in psa holders that didn't get the oc qualifier that should have...i would just say find a nice centered one, which can be a trick in itself with the 48 jackies. that is one of the most difficult cards to find a nice card that is both centered and clean of print marks and have nice coloring. VERY TOUGH CARD....here is mine.
When you grade a card via PSA the [in this case OC] qualifier if optional, so the grade can be higher with a qualifier or lower without the qualifier..

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
scotty21690 said:
hofautos said:
Jeff D said:
hofautos said:

When you grade a card via PSA the [in this case OC] qualifier if optional, so the grade can be higher with a qualifier or lower without the qualifier..

or depending on qc get a higher grade than it should have without the qualifier ;)

I was just suggesting jeffd shouldn't generalize...as both sgc and psa have had slip-ups...and i do not see SGC being more lenient, generally speaking.
Even looking at my hank...i have seen MUCH worse psa 6's.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Warren's All Stars said:
[quote="Jeff D":1ld2r0fi]I would stay away from BGS since they don't seem to care about trimming.

A "trimmed" card has less than perfect dimensions, and Beckett will not slab such a card.[/quote:1ld2r0fi]

I guess since I don't want to argue about this, I shouldn't bring it up.

But they didn't say "perfectly" they said cleanly (without waviness), and the allowances for variations in card size (especially in vintage) leaves PLENTY of room to trim.

It may not be as easy for us to understand as non card-doctors, but people aren't trimming an inch off. They're taking very small slivers.
And some of the higher end trimmers use laser cutters. Think you can measure the amount they trimmed off?
The only way to tell a trim job is by looking at the WAY the edge was cut, which Beckett doesn't care about.

And I totally know that PSA and to a lesser extent SGC have slabbed trimmed cards. But I think they at least make a more honest effort at trying to catch it.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
hofautos said:

1948jackie.jpg

Agreed it's a tough card.

My remark about SGC being a little easier in grading centering is just a general observation.
It's not the absolute rule. Exceptions can always be found.

But here's an example I happened to just see on ebay. Same grade as yours:

!BSjK98QBmk~$(KGrHgoOKk!EjlLmZICkBKDyKZR1PQ~~_12.jpg

You've got a nice looking 4 btw...sweet card!

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
No problem, I just disagree...SGC is not more lenient on centering. You will find similar percentages.
9490.jpg

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Chris D. said:
If you are keeping...SGC. If you are selling...PSA.

not necessarily...if you buy sgc, you are buying cheaper, so the profit may still be better with SGC as well....

Members online

Latest posts