Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shipping issue with buyer...thoughts on what I should do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
I received this message from the buyer of my Bowman Sterling Black Jesus Montero Auto /25 (sold for $280):

Dear dacunhja213,

The card arrived today, but it was sent loose in a baggy and not well protected at all. The card came out of the soft sleeve and was not placed in a card holder to protect it from slipping out of the soft sleeve. Tape was also not used to seal the card from coming loose. The card had damaged corners and the edge was bent in the process. The top right corner was completely bent and white was showing through the card. It is not the same card pictured in the auction anymore. Please advise me on what you can do, I would like some kind of reimbursement as this was a simple error that could have been avoided if better care was taken. Please let me know, as I can return the item or a reimbursement can be added to my Paypal account to complete a transaction on a card in damaged condition, to be fair. Please let me know, Richard

-I know for a fact that I shipped the card in a sealed team bag. I do not put tape on a toploader because the card can slip forward and get stuck on the tape. I paid for insurance on the card (even thought I did not charge him for it). I asked him for a scan of the card. What are my options here? Refund?

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
wait for him to send a scan. ALso make sure the scan shows the card number since it is #ed to /25

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
so what if it is the card and it somehow slipped out of a sealed team bad? (which idk how that is possible, since it was a brand new bag w/new seal).

Is there any way to file an insurance claim on this?

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
jdacunha said:
so what if it is the card and it somehow slipped out of a sealed team bad? (which idk how that is possible, since it was a brand new bag w/new seal).

Is there any way to file an insurance claim on this?

Well, if the card did slip out and get damaged, obviously you'd be responsible. You've got a few options:

1. Ask for the card back and refund.
2. Tell the seller to hold it and you'll submit an Insurance claim, which he WILL have to have his information submitted as well - BUT, I'm not sure if the claim would work if it is determined it was poorly packaged.
3. Offer the seller a partial refund.

On that though, as others have said, ask for a scan that includes the serial numbering.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
so i reply to the seller to send me scans and he sends me this:

The team bag did not come apart. The card was shipped loose in the team bag, which caused it to easily shift around the packaging during shipment. Without being securely held down by anything, the corners on the right margin were damaged and the edge was bent. In my email I never suggested you sent a card that was not described correctly, but you did send the card without the necessary protection - I have been buying on eBay for over 10 years and have never seen anyone send a card of this value without the proper protection until now. I don't have much time and with my busy schedule I simple need to know if your going to do anything in regards to a reimbursement? By looking at your images in the description and the card in my hands, they are not in the same condition and I or anyone else would not have paid this much for the card - if it was shipped safe and secure I would not have emailed you. Please lmk, Richard

-I just told him that I was surprised that the card arrived like that. I shipped in a toploader, team bag and bubble envelope, which is sufficient protection for a card.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Explain to him that without scans to show the card's current condition that you will not be able to refund any money. Explain that this is not a small sum of $, and to properly handle this situation you will need his full co-operation. If he refuses to do so, then he might be trying to get one over on you. While you are waiting on him to get back to you, contact your PO and ask them about the policies regarding insurance.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you send the card in a one-touch or screw down? I mean, that $2 case could've saved you all of this misery. Also, as a buyer I'd be pretty upset if my nearly $300 card was shipped in just a team bag and bubble mailer. You've said that you've sent things in this manner and nothing has happened before. That's awesome and all, but as a seller and someone who frequents these boards you should know that you were asking for trouble.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Labratt21 said:
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you send the card in a one-touch or screw down? I mean, that $2 case could've saved you all of this misery. Also, as a buyer I'd be pretty upset if my nearly $300 card was shipped in just a team bag and bubble mailer. You've said that you've sent things in this manner and nothing has happened before. That's awesome and all, but as a seller and someone who frequents these boards you should know that you were asking for trouble.

jdacunha said:

The team bag did not come apart. The card was shipped loose in the team bag, which caused it to easily shift around the packaging during shipment. Without being securely held down by anything, the corners on the right margin were damaged and the edge was bent. In my email I never suggested you sent a card that was not described correctly, but you did send the card without the necessary protection - I have been buying on eBay for over 10 years and have never seen anyone send a card of this value without the proper protection until now. I don't have much time and with my busy schedule I simple need to know if your going to do anything in regards to a reimbursement? By looking at your images in the description and the card in my hands, they are not in the same condition and I or anyone else would not have paid this much for the card - if it was shipped safe and secure I would not have emailed you. Please lmk, Richard

-I just told him that I was surprised that the card arrived like that. I shipped in a toploader, team bag and bubble envelope, which is sufficient protection for a card.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Thanks Darren. I clearly did not go through the second reply very well. Apologies to the OP.

But again...my original questions still stands. Why not spend the $2 for a hard case considering the card sold for such a high amount?

darrend505 said:
Labratt21 said:

jdacunha said:

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
jdacunha said:

scam

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
What's hard to believe here is that generally if a card is in a Team Bag, when the Team Bag is sealed it goes RIGHT OVER the top of the Top Loader, thus it would not be possible for the card to slip out and get damaged. The Team Bag sealed like that is NO DIFFERENT than tape and is actually better as the card would then not stick to something.

Regardless, a scan should be ABSOLUTELY necessary for any type of refund here.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
It does sound like buyers remorse or a scam to me.

Not to disparage the OP, as I have never sold a $300 card, but even when I sell a $20 card, I sandwich the toploader and teambag between 2 pieces of cardboard just to make sure I am even further protected. Adds about $0.10 to postage usually.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
buyer replied again:

I don't think your understanding.... You did not place the card in the top loader, all you did was put it in a soft sleeve. The card was loose in the baggy which is twice the size of the card, so you can see how much room it had to move around during the shipment. You put a top loader in there but it was in no way attached to the card, it was just placed in the baggy separate from the card. With two items being loose in the baggy (card and top loader) it could have caused even more damage to the card b/c now two items were hitting each others corners/edges. I am not going to send images, this is not my job, it is what it is, plus images will not show the full damage as you would have to see the card in person. The top right corner is severely dinged and the edge is smashed. I tried to solve it easily and your making it difficult so I will simply file a claim now, time is money for me. I tried my best, nothing more I can do now.

I do not recall shipping the way he stated. If he files a claim...will he automatically win? I will explain to paypal i offered a refund, w/scans and he has not provided. I told him let me see scans, I will offer a partial refund. If you don't like it, I will give you a full refund after I receive the card. Why is this dude being difficult?

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Probably because you are making it so difficult. Customer is always right, period. I feel I am not getting this from you. $50 dollars would be a fair amount for the damages. [email protected] (Paypal). I am not asking for much, but a fair figure. I will drop all claims tonight if we agree and payment is made.

this is his most recent reply. I told him I would send the $50 if he would just send me scans.

Members online

Latest posts